CCBS should be replaced

Really, like @Darknova3529 noted, I think CCBS should expand more in that direction, with more customized bones and new shells and addons (and weapons!)

4 Likes

what system
there was no metru/hordika system

1 Like

I would even dare to say that the Mixels one is actually a part of System, as there are only 4 new joints (edit: there are actually five, I think) and the mini ball has been around since the '70s.

But otherwise I totally agree with you.

2 Likes

^
Lego has been denying a fair amount of new molds for CCBS in the last couple years (look at how many new armor piece were produced in G2) and some useful molds are being scraped when pieces like this still have potenial.

Hordika lasted for 1/2 year (I say half since no other set reused the build style) and the Metru build design was 2 year from Iruini & Norik.

Looking at this discussion, I hardly see anything new here-

The community is still relatively bias toward the Constraction line (by that, I mean they either avoided buying the produce or hate how it looks), CCBS is what keep the line drawed by passively fuse System/CCBS into sets, however Lego have giving less attention on Constraction to the theme slowly overtime during 2014.

CCBS (as a set) haven’t dove to it’s fullest potential, some older sets and the pricier Star Wars sets is an exception shows the creativity of the building system can become. The building system still have room to grow, but the cost is getting much worst.

1 Like

Y’know, I don’t really know if I actually caught any of that. Sorry dude.

And yeah, the issues in classifying these guys are relatively apparent; there’s a lot of overlap. That said, there’s a system of connections that is unique to Mixels, as far as I’m aware. What’s the deal around a '70’s era miniball?

The mixel sized ball joint has been around since the '70s, it was mainly used as a joint for vehicles.
Here are some examples that come to mind:
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=462-1#T=I
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=6930-1#T=I
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=6901-1#T=I
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=200-1#T=I
If you take a look at the parts inventory, you’ll see some pieces that use the same joints as the Mixels.

I don’t think we’ll ever get a new system
But we could get an expansion on ccbs but I think lego would need to make a new line and they probably won’t until 2020

The object that you built isn’t really close to a CCBS skeleton; there aren’t any connection points for technic, nor any mechanism for keeping the ball joints from sliding.

Completely wrong, the object I built is a ccbs skeleton. You can add connection points for technic with clips since technic pins are compatible with them and you forgot the technique of adding apollo studs to keep the outer balljoints on. There are also skinnier parts like bushings and cut ribbed hose that can reinforce the frame further if sturdiness is an issue but I won’t go into detail here.

Also, if it rustles your jimmies that the balljoints aren’t secure enough, you don’t need to use them. Use a bar to clip adapter instead. That won’t fall off. Heck, get creative, use any hinge that’s bar compatible.

5 Likes

Well, they could replace the current CCBS System, as like you said, it’s all about clicking armour on.

LE|GO’s tried to save the current CCBS system by masking it with gears and new armour pieces, but let’s face it, the whole system needs an update. Perhaps we can get a slow transition.

I didn’t “forget” about anything. I mean, it’s not a matter of opinion. The object that you built doesn’t function as a CCBS skeleton. It’s not the same thing, because it lacks certain advantages and replaces some functionality. It’s still cool, and still useful in quite a few ways, but it’s just not the same. That’s it.

Do you see where I’m going with this? It’s also cheaper to include in large sets and, as noted, significantly more stable without the need to sacrifice anything else.

Dude, nice! Thanks for giving me the heads-up on that - somehow, I’d never come across those.

-Azani

3 Likes

All great points @Azani. People like you make the boards better.

Nope. I’m looking at mass/price. That ratio has gone up since the introduction of CCBS, and even in '08, constraction sets had a larger mass/price than system sets. (Comparing two sets priced equally). The greater the mass, the more material must be used to make it, and thus, costs Lego more to produce it. If you can sell that mass for more money, then you make a greater profit. Ideally this is how Lego should be priced, but enthusiasts like us measure a set’s worth in price/piece, complicating matters.

Intuitively, the introduction of CCBS driving up a set’s mass/price makes sense. Let’s examine a Piraka Leg piece and a CCBS bone piece of the same length. Because a Piraka Leg piece is hollow in the back, it weighs about as much as a bone piece. But while Vezon looks fine with just a Piraka Leg, the same cannot be said for any constraction figure Lego wants to sell using the bone piece. Armor must be added on, and that adds weight, without really contributing value to the figure. (This is true only for the bare minimum of armor necessary to sell the figure. Armor after that, like G2’s golden thingys, do add value)[quote=“Poharu, post:17, topic:40509”]
What sort of evidence do you have for this claim? Because without it this is not an argument.
[/quote]

As I noted above, I do have some anecdotal evidence that suggests the mass/price of constraction sets has increased since the introduction of CCBS. I have not done any statistical analysis with any data, although if someone asks me to, then I will.

Kind of off topic, but is Chewbacca really taller than Vader in SW canon?

A quick check on Wookieepedia states that Darth Vader is 2.03 meters high, while Chewbacca is 2.28 meters high.

4 Likes

Y’know what, dude? I appreciate that a ton; thanks for being here and being down to discuss! :slight_smile:

Ah yeah, I can get that. Yeah, this is true. I can’t find the source that I’m looking for at the moment, but folks at TLG have pretty strongly that CCBS parts do unequivocally use more plastic relative to their retail price; by association, this implies that the company is actually losing money at the so-called “overpriced” (though I do agree, honestly) CCBS kit price points. Additionally, the inclusion of any kind of plastic into the packaging made these appreciably more expensive to produce - G1 could only pull it off because it was so wildly popular.

See, that’s the thing; it was worse back in those days due to the packaging and the inclusion of less versatile parts. Also, almolst every year through 2009 saw some sort of part that wasn’t just ABS plastic; it was made of a different material, or had electronics or springs or something that increased its value, and thus its price, dramatically. All of these were produced en masse, appearing in thousands, if not tens of thousands, of units. Some years, we saw two new parts produced with non-ABS. :stuck_out_tongue:

• 2001: The Manas (Electronic)
  • 2002: The Krana
  • 2003: The Kraata
  • 2006: The Piraka Spines and The Light-Up Swords
  • 2007: The Squid, Squid Launchers, Kalmah’s Tentacle, The Cordak Blasters, Kalmah’s Head… Kinda crazy, huh?
  • 2008: The Midak Blasters, Shadow Leeches, and Nynrah Ghost Blasters
  • 2009: The Thornax

Toward the end, they started to rely on dual-injected parts a ton, as well; you don’t really see that in LEGO system. So, as a rule, G1 was insanely expensive to produce.

This isn’t always true; as a rule, you’ll see it in effect in small sets that include many new molds and/or recolors, or massive D2C sets that necessitate a ton of small parts. TLG has the capacity to easily pump out some sets that don’t initially utilize a ton of new parts, such as large technic sets and those classic buckets that you see in yellow tubs, because said kits are essentially repackaging old, easily used parts. Once TLG has constructed a mold, they’ll typically use it for at least five years, so they’d prefer to keep certain elements in use for significantly longer than G1 would typically have done.

The thing is (and I’m simply speaking as an observer here) in an effort to move away from some of those sorts of design chain flaws, CCBS seems to be tilting just a little closer toward the versatility of LEGO system as each year comes and goes. If you look at the 2011 and 2012 Hero Factory sets, you’d be greeted by a system that looked a lot more like G1’s Technic sets from an aesthetic perspective; lots of large, jagged parts with small connection points and an enourmous number of faux connection points - anyone remember trying to attach minifig-scale clips to pistons on G1 parts? Back then, there weren’t as many distinct colors or lengths fro either shells or bones, so TLG had to make do in the short term with less sustainable details. Sure, G2 represented a major break from that trend, but IMO we’ve gone right back to it with Star Wars; we see new ort specialized add-ons very rarely because we have plenty of colors and lengths now.

And tha’s the issue; it only adds value to the figure if the apparent detail isn’t present, or literally cannot be present, elsewhere. Y’know, the word apparent here is super crucial, because folks have wildly different definitions of what looks “great” on an action figure; some want Hot Toys, and some want Funko Pop. Right? If you’re okay with a very stylized Tahu, then sure, you’re right; however, if you want pistons or faux gears or faux tattoos or whatever the heck Master Tahu had on his chest, you’ll need add-ons, or “armor”. There’s no way to add that without utilizing those types of pieces. CCBS, however, struggles to remain balanced on this front, because its a young system that has a tough time avoiding the re-use of certain add-ons to optimize cost. And, uh, if you don’t believe me, just take a glance for yourself.

Not trying to be a nuisance over here, but a Piraka bone piece is shorter than the average bone length used in CCBS nowadays, since SWC is the order of the day. Just an important semantic distinction to make.

I don’t know if this is true. Without any shred of doubt in my mind, I can say that TLG would agree with you. But I honestly think that Vezon looked pretty awful with a shin that was hollow in the back and had two exposed technic holes below the knee. Ostensibly, that’s kind of a silly opinion, because TLG couldn’t do much better for the budget that they had. That said, I can still hold it if I want to. :stuck_out_tongue:

-Azani

2 Likes

Regarding a point I’ve seen in the topic, I’m really not sure if the cost for the plastic used in a set is actually as big of a deal as some have suggested, honestly. Sure, the electronic parts are a lot more expensive (stuff like the EV3 programmable brick is like 180€ alone if I recall correctly), but otherwise I think the net profit for a set is way higher than the cost of plastic. I dunno though.

I think it would be a good question to ask to a Lego designer.

He only has one, the head.

~W12~

1 Like

Here’s why I think people will dislike your idea, it’s completely logical and I have to agree, although I would rather it wouldn’t for compatibility’s sake but a new system should have some method of this. Basically, from logic we realize that either CCBS parts should change, the manufacturing should change as to a cheaper method or the system should change. I’m for the first two as I’ve already stated.

Mixels were technically constraction. They were cheap, but still looked really nice and played fairly well. Also, they aren’t CCBS sets.

Y’know, he includes the bandolier too. I’m pretty sure that that’s new as well. :stuck_out_tongue:

-Azani

First time we’ve seen the piece in Dark brown, yes, but it isn’t new. It came on Core Hunter and the Ultra Stealth raider. (unless you mean a different piece)

~W12~

2 Likes

Nope, you are absolutely correct. It wasn’t listed as such on Brickset, so I assumed that it was new to the kit. My apologies; the initial post has been edited to reflect that.

-Azani