CCBS should be replaced

i personally really like ccbs, it is expensive, yes, but the peices are great

3 Likes

Okay Iā€™ll go do the math. Be back in a couple of days.

EDIT:
Iā€™ve done the math, and now Iā€™ll go ahead and admit I was wrong. All 35 sets released in G2 had a grams/dollar ratio between 11-13, while the 35 randomly selected sets I picked from G1 could spike as high as 22. At least for Bionicle, CCBS actually used less plastic (or just as much) than G1. All weights were taken from Bricklink, and all prices came from Brickset. The 35 randomly selected sets were selected using a JAVA program.

1 Like

Itā€¦ Functions exactly the same, has the same precise measurements into the spacing, itā€™s only that you donā€™t like it. The pin holes were almost never used. The ball joints are all spaced exactly the same.

And I think youā€™re forgetting Likusā€™ most valuable and valid point:[quote=ā€œLikus, post:14, topic:40509ā€]
Ccbs bones have technically lasted long before they were introduced, since all they really are are modified technic beams. The armor is the only thing in the system thatā€™s actually new. IMO thatā€™s the only thing that needs to be replaced.
[/quote]

This is just poorly done technic.[quote=ā€œAzani, post:30, topic:40509ā€]
Do you see where Iā€™m going with this? Itā€™s also cheaper to include in large sets and, as noted, significantly more stable without the need to sacrifice anything else.
[/quote]

That doesnā€™t disqualify the fact that he replicated the basic function of the ccbs torso - like it or not - with pieces he happened to have. Proving you can replicate a piece with other pieces and then claiming itā€™s better just to make the standard piece disproves the point that nothing new has been added with this part. Itā€™s either a clone of something else with some new tweaks or itā€™s CCBS, and thatā€™s just how it rolls.

You can nitpick the faults here, but itā€™s a fact. He built it. And he could slip it into a set and youā€™d never even notice.[quote=ā€œDinosaursUnited, post:42, topic:40509ā€]
All 35 sets released in G2 had a grams/dollar ratio between 11-13, while the 35 randomly selected sets I picked from G1 could spike as high as 22. At least for Bionicle, CCBS actually used less plastic (or just as much) than G1. All weights were taken from Bricklink, and all prices came from Brickset. The 35 randomly selected sets were selected using a JAVA program.
[/quote]

Thatā€™s true. However, that doesnā€™t negate the fact that the CCBS system either needs to be heavily updated or scrapped. It has a lot of potential being absolutely trashed by the newer sets because they cling to the old format - CCBSā€™s bone and armour system which, majority opinion stated, isnā€™t really good. LEGO forcing themselves to detract from it as much as possible has given us sets like Darth Vader and the 2016 Bionicle sets, which were also regarded as bad and incompatible with previous ideas and builds.

The inika system was far, far worse - but CCBS is still bad. No amount of pampering and jewelry can change the fact that CCBS is dead.

what if the new ccbs line has a bunch of heavily detailed ccbs add ons with ball socket attachments kind of like the ones the beast sets had

no no no no

Stop giving me nightmares.

No, it doesnā€™t. Iā€™m totally blown away that you arenā€™t seeing this. It isnā€™t. How is this not getting across when you know what a CCBS torso looks like?

Again, there is value to prefab parts. Plenty of commonly used system parts remain so.

1 Like

why donā€™t you like the beast sets? storm beast is awesome, quake and lava beast are ok/meh

The technic leg construction is an eyesore, IMO. Even with UTD it looks awful.

1 Like

lava beastā€™s legs look like a little kid made them

Totally agree with you here. The only reason I posted what I did was because I had repeatedly made the claim that CCBS was costing Lego more in materials than non CCBS figures; a claim which is not supported by evidence. I felt that I had a duty to share that, so that others would have the most accurate information possible for this debate.

Are Vader and 2016 Bionicle good or bad in your opinion here? I quite liked 2015 Vader, and some sets in 2016 Bionicle, though I concede neither is perfect. [quote=ā€œGhidora131, post:43, topic:40509ā€]
Darth Vader
[/quote]

Are you referring to the 2015 version, or his 2018 re-release? UGH. Lego, come on. The removable helmet isnā€™t going to be that cool, and the old one isnā€™t even off the shelves. [quote=ā€œTealFire, post:44, topic:40509ā€]
the new ccbs line
[/quote]

Is there a new CCBS line Iā€™m unaware of?

ā€¦The only difference is it doesnā€™t have the pin holes. Thatā€™s it. Otherwise the ball joints line up exactly.[quote=ā€œAzani, post:46, topic:40509ā€]
Again, there is value to prefab parts. Plenty of commonly used system parts remain so.
[/quote]

Thereā€™s also little value to useless ones. LEGO made the torso better by taking away the top ball connectors and adding axles at a shorter height. Thereā€™s not much to save.

Vaderā€™s fine, but I was specifically referring to the Bionicle 2015 sets. Over their previous wave they were much better builds but were aesthetically far worse, and the fans proclaimed it right to the cemetery.[quote=ā€œDinosaursUnited, post:50, topic:40509ā€]
Are you referring to the 2015 version, or his 2018 re-release?
[/quote]

Weā€™re not going to discuss leaks, potential leaks, or anything of the sort. Sorry, thatā€™s against the rules.

1 Like

I remember when there was a whole topic devoted to just that. I feel so old. In any case, mea culpa. [quote=ā€œGhidora131, post:51, topic:40509ā€]
Bionicle 2015 sets
[/quote]

Ah. Yes. Them. I understand completely where youā€™re coming from with this, excellent point.

Although, I think that those sets do help explain why @Azani says that the bone torso is difficult to replace with a custom build like @Likus made. Thereā€™s no way to attach the 2015 gearbox to the custom. You need the pinholes. However, I will grant you that for at least 90% of HF, @Likusā€™s custom torso would have served just fine.

Can I ask how, as a Mod? And can I ask why, as a Mod, you are trying to moderate this conversation? I recommend taking a nice look over our site rules again, under ā€œBehavioral Rulesā€.

8 Likes

Itā€™s not a matter whether or not I like it - itā€™s a matter of how useful it is. I donā€™t really have any issues with whether you understand how CCBS works or not - that said, I do believe that the functionality is significantly altered when you remove six connection points and screw with the stability. Any jokes that you might make about it being a ā€œuselessā€ part donā€™t chnage the fact that it objectively is useful as a pre-fab element. Itā€™s cheaper to include in sets, more stable, and includes more connection points. Itā€™s really as simple as that.

Except itā€™s not useful, and you seem to like it. See where I stated that they improved it later.[quote=ā€œGhidora131, post:51, topic:40509ā€]
LEGO made the torso better by taking away the top ball connectors and adding axles at a shorter height.
[/quote]

To be honest, I donā€™t know what youā€™re trying to prove here.[quote=ā€œAzani, post:54, topic:40509ā€]
that said, I do believe that the functionality is significantly altered when you remove six connection points and screw with the stability.
[/quote]

Hmā€¦ I think that, with a few more editing pieces, you could significantly increase the stability and use other pieces to make up for the lost connections. A little creativity goes a long way.[quote=ā€œAzani, post:54, topic:40509ā€]
Any jokes that you might make about it being a ā€œuselessā€ part donā€™t change the fact that it objectively is useful as a pre-fab element.
[/quote]

Umā€¦ Show me the pieceā€™s existence on Darth Vader.

Not only can LEGO get away with not using it, but they can do it easily, and make more money by charging for more parts. Currently theyā€™re increasing the number of pieces they can shove into a standard inika build CCBS character by throwing unnecessary pins and little bits that add virtually nothing to the model and often confuse the builder as to why theyā€™re even there. With a newly redesigned torso construction using more than one piece to make the skeleton, youā€™ve increased the part count and made the set a bit more worth it to buy.[quote=ā€œAzani, post:54, topic:40509ā€]
Itā€™s really as simple as that.
[/quote]

I think youā€™re thinking Iā€™m trying to prove LEGO should sell Likusā€™ model of the standard frame. Iā€™m not. I want them to make a new frame.[quote=ā€œDinosaursUnited, post:52, topic:40509ā€]
Although, I think that those sets do help explain why @Azani says that the bone torso is difficult to replace with a custom build like @Likus made. Thereā€™s no way to attach the 2015 gearbox to the custom. You need the pinholes. However, I will grant you that for at least 90% of HF, @Likusā€™s custom torso would have served just fine.
[/quote]

The pinholes do prove problematic, but aside from one of the holes (which goes right through a ball in the waist) they can all be worked around depending on the type of connection required. I imagine most of the 2015/16 sets would unfortunately be incompatible without some heavy redesigns - as if they didnā€™t need them anyway.[quote=ā€œChronicler, post:53, topic:40509ā€]
And can I ask why, as a Mod, you are trying to moderate this conversation?
[/quote]

Iā€™m sorry, I wasnā€™t trying to moderate. I apologize to you and to @Azani. Iā€™ve removed the offense from my post.

LEGO would never sell my frame. It wouldnā€™t pass sturdiness tests and parts cutting isnā€™t allowed for regular kidsā€™ set because scissors are sharp.

3 Likes

No, I fundamentally believe that it is useful, and that said fact is pretty self-evident. I donā€™t think that that implicitly deems the alternatives ā€œuselessā€, and I think that itā€™s fine to like all of them for their respective benefits, in conjunction with their drawbacks.

You know, youā€™re right - I shouldnā€™t have said that. Not trying to sound like a jerk.

Thatā€™s not what Iā€™m arguing, man. Iā€™m a MOCist as well, and I understand how to work with and manipulate the system. Said fact does not eliminate the benefit of certain prefab parts, because som of those parts retain benefits that exceed those of the sum components.

Iā€™m going to go ahead and give you the benefit of the doubt here with this one.

I think that you understand that this isnā€™t how you go about proving something one way or the other.

Iā€™ve been arguing this since the start of day one. At the end of the day, TLG is going to lean in the direction of bringing in more profit. Sure, that might not guide everything that they do, but theyā€™ll see if they can work it in.

If they can suceed at both providing opportunities for creativity and innovation while saving money by avoiding the creation of new molds, than theyā€™ll do it. That torso piece that you seem to dislike so much is pretty obviously versatile in a million idfferent ways - it was used in Savage Planet for beasts, in HF for XL figures, in Chima for figures with tails and long necks, for the 2015 Masters, and for most standard humanoid builds. Thatā€™s what TLG wants, and I frankly donā€™t have an issue with that if they continue to switch it up with two or three figures each year, as they always continue to do.

Even though you might not see it this way, thatā€™s a totally subjective ā€œissueā€ that really depends upon what you personally like and desire for parts.

Nope.

Iā€™d like that too, yeah.

I guess that itā€™s unfortunate that you disliked the Masters so much. Tough luck sometimes; I sure as heck donā€™t like everything that TLG does either. That said, itā€™s not so clear-cut.

But I thought Bunkle was fer xperiensed buldurs :c[quote=ā€œAzani, post:57, topic:40509ā€]
No, I fundamentally believe that it is useful, and that said fact is pretty self-evident.
[/quote]

Merriam-Webster:

Definition of useful
1 :capable of being put to use; especially: serviceable for an end or purpose | useful tools

2 :of a valuable or productive kind | do something useful with your life

So youā€™re right, it is useful - technically, so is Galidor, so thereā€™s that.[quote=ā€œAzani, post:57, topic:40509ā€]
Said fact does not eliminate the benefit of certain prefab parts, because some of those parts retain benefits that exceed those of the sum components.
[/quote]

Yes, but could they use other pieces? I remember many of my friends overjoyed with the ugly butt-gears introduced in Bionicle 2016, solely for the fact that they now had waist articulation. It couldnā€™t be that hard.[quote=ā€œAzani, post:57, topic:40509ā€]
Iā€™m going to go ahead and give you the benefit of the doubt here with this one.
[/quote]

Umā€¦[quote=ā€œAzani, post:57, topic:40509ā€]
I think that you understand that this isnā€™t how you go about proving something one way or the other.
[/quote]

Itā€™s a good example of a good set that does away with the piece, makes up for it in every way, still uses the CCBS armour plating, and still makes monies. And, out of the SW Buildable Figures, I think itā€™s received the least negative reaction.[quote=ā€œAzani, post:57, topic:40509ā€]
That torso piece that you seem to dislike so much is pretty obviously versatile in a million idfferent ways - it was used in Savage Planet for beasts, in HF for XL figures, in Chima for figures with tails and long necks, for the 2015 Masters, and for most standard humanoid builds.
[/quote]

You mean, they found a zillion ways to do it, despite most of the models being pretty ugly in conclusion. Thatā€™s kind of the have-to when youā€™re LEGO. You make a part, you find ways to continue to use it or itā€™s gone, yā€™know?

(Although to be fair LEGO has dropped a significant number of perfectly fine pieces for little reason at all.)[quote=ā€œAzani, post:57, topic:40509ā€]
Even though you might not see it this way, thatā€™s a totally subjective ā€œissueā€ that really depends upon what you personally like and desire for parts.
[/quote]

How exactly?

I just got the Death Trooper, and the instant I had him together I regretted making his legs. The new hip armour makes them look so deathfully out-of-proportion that I instantly scrapped him for parts.

This isnā€™t something new. Weā€™ve gotten tons of horrifying builds thanks to this standardized system, like Fire Lord, Onya Master of Onions, Rocka XL, most every set from Brain attackā€¦ The system leaves an incredible lot to be desired. And the main offender to this is the torso. When LEGO disregards the rules of its piece or the piece entirely, the sets donā€™t end up that bad.[quote=ā€œAzani, post:57, topic:40509ā€]
I guess that itā€™s unfortunate that you disliked the Masters so much. Tough luck sometimes; I sure as heck donā€™t like everything that TLG does either. That said, itā€™s not so clear-cut.
[/quote]

I mostly dislike the Uniters, for doing the job right and yet still failing at it. The only Master I donā€™t like at all is Onya.

Iā€™m not going to keep debating this. Everything that Iā€™ve said on this subject is very straightforward and frankly shouldnā€™t come across as controversial - it doesnā€™t even oppose your desire to see a new frame. Nothing is wrong with that.

Youā€™re welcome.

did this topic turn into which is better left or right?

which can simply be awsered with the question if I chuck both at a wall which one stays together

6 Likes