Civil War: Should Eljay Remove His Mask for Video Recordings?

It’s just that I think Eljay has a hard time knowing what his priorities are. It’s either sacrifice his anonymity or stick with the team entirely.

And personally? I think Eljay’s choice of being anonymous is absolutely right and he has every reason to feel this way.

And they only want to do that as long as they don’t actually know it. In fact, ironically, the only reason people care at all is because he’s made such a big deal about it.

If he actually revealed his face, identity, name or location, nobody would care anymore and it would immediately fade away. But Eljay wouldn’t do that. Because he doesn’t really want privacy, he wants attention. Just like he brought this private disagreement out into public, just so he could get his way.

3 Likes

It’s either that or he legitimately has a problem with it.

I don’t know everything that’s going on behind the scenes, but knowing Eljay he may have done this to shed light on you guys and your decisions because he was concerned.

Then again, I don’t know Eljay as good as you guys. All I know is that I stand on the side of anonymity.

4 Likes

Cough Marvel Civil War Cough

2 Likes

Omg this argument is basically TTV civil fight
I agree with Eljay he should be allowed his privacy, I for one like Eljay the most of the cast members because he has the mask thing running for him, it makes him relatable to me because, I also value my privacy on the internet.

6 Likes

Yeah, got to be honest, if this is a serious issue then its difficult to take TTV seriously around April Fools - which is a problem with the channel and the boards.

Multiple times there is the ‘joke’ of TTV firing Eljay or Eljay taking over the boards and sometimes that starts weeks prior to the actual April Fools itself. Its gotten to the stage where any serious issues that may be facing TTV will be discarded.

Not to mention the whole parodying BvS/Civil War…Especially when prior conversations between TTV members were done off the boards or in PM’s because it made them seem unprofessional in the eyes of some of the members. As such I’m viewing this as an April Fools.

Either this is a legitimate issue being handled like a school fight, or its an April Fools.

You need to edit the mask, honestly that would solve your problems here. The Miru is specifically designed with a massive hole on either side of the mouth - honestly this would probably help recordings as if you put a pop filter on the interior piece directly in front of the mouth, it would enable you to speak loudly without issues of the voice being muffled.

In public, well, honestly chances are high you should reveal who you are. Walking around in a Miru mask draws more attention to you anyway. Places like conventions you’d probably be better going around without the Miru and just kind of not associate yourself with TTV as much so your not in the spotlight. The whole ‘meeting fans’ situation is also worrying (see below) for fairly obvious reasons.

This question is worrying and one of the main reasons that Eljay should reveal his face. There is currently nothing stopping someone from pretending to be Eljay and meeting a fan wearing the Miru and they would never need to reveal their face throughout. Its one of the most worrying aspects of the idea of wearing a mask and as far as i am aware, nothing is really in place to stop this from becoming a reality.

Its not only dangerous, but its a very scary thought to consider - and its something caused by the group, not just Eljay. Whether this is an April fools or not, the problem has never been addressed.

6 Likes

Yeah, but who can really pull off Eljay’s voice? I understand your concern, though.

Also don’t you get really sweaty in that thing all the time, Eljay? Do you wear it during the Recaps and stuff?

Dear god thank you, this is clearly an issue and as I’ve already said, if TTV wants to be taken seriously as they grow as a company, it needs to be addressed. As for the timing, yea it’s a bit inconvienent, seeing as we’re, what, a week away from April 1? I can confirm however that this has been growing as an issue for quite some time now. It really is unfortunate that it had to break out in public, and the people who’s faults that is know who they are, but this is far from a joke.

1 Like

It doesn’t have to be either or, it can be both. Maybe he does have a legitimate problem with it. Doesn’t mean that he also aired this fight into the public for anything other than attention. I mean, really - the only reason he would say it in the first place is so that people would get on me and Var’s case about it, because he doesn’t like being told no.

You want your privacy on the internet - but you also aren’t part of a channel who’s literal job is to create content and to be popular. If we weren’t popular, then, guess what? We’re doing our job wrong.

I’m not saying that Eljay, the private citizen, isn’t allowed to be private on the Internet like a regular user. I am saying that we are all prepared to move forward with being more open with who we are in real life, because we understand that that is the price of being an actual entertainment studio.

Eljay does not want that - fine. But he also doesn’t want to leave the channel. He doesn’t want to show his face - fine. But he’s put up a fight every time we want to do something with our faces because he still wants to be a part of that video. He doesn’t want to wear the mask 24/7 when we would be roommates in Virginia and would have a ton of recording opportunities - fine. But he also doesn’t want to not come to Virginia, because he doesn’t want to miss out.

Eljay doesn’t just want his privacy, he wants everyone else to bend over backwards to accommodate his privacy - which doesn’t make sense, because he’s part of a channel that lives and breathes on being the closest things to celebrities that we can be.

If he wanted to be this private individual, sure - but then why be a part of a YouTube channel to make yourself a public figure? But even then, we’re not asking him to step down from the channel (which he should, if he values his privacy that much). We’re just asking he not be a part of the videos where everyone else shows their face. We still tried to bend over backwards for him and he instead throws a hissy fit to the fans about it.

2 Likes

“You sound odd, what’s up with your voice” - Fan
“I have a cold” - ‘Eljay impersonator’

Honestly, what most people do to impersonate the Eljay voice for parodies is just a clothes peg on the nose or something similar - even having a cold enables someone to imitate the voice to an extent. Though as mentioned with the quotes above, they don’t need to sound like Eljay. If you or someone else on here saw someone wearing a Miru in public, chances are you’d believe they could be Eljay and approach them.

That’s unfortunate then.

Would be nice if the issues being tackled would be the more serious one’s. Its debating small honestly rather minor issues relating to channel popularity rather than big questions that could have serious repercussions to the channel or the fanbase.

You can be a public figure on Youtube and not be revealing your face, your channel is primarily podcasts, reviews and other aspects that do not need a face reveal. The whole idea of becoming more public is something that isn’t really necessary for a fairly small podcast/review channel such as TTV.

I’m not entirely sure what sort of videos you are planning that specifically desire face reveals and that cannot work without a face reveal… however is that really the direction the channel is desiring to go in? For something that mainly focuses on audio aspects such as reviews or podcasts, why do we need to see any members face?

I have never encountered anyone that views TTV as celebrities - and i think that sort of mind-set on a Youtube channel that has around 24,000 subscribers is not the best to have - as that is still a small drop in the ocean. Its not wise to let believed fame get to your head in these circumstances and that appears to be what is being focused on here instead of the problems.

It seems rather than acknowledge the potentially dangerous situations that could occur from the Miru, instead its seems this debate is more about how ‘TTV wants to do something with faces’ or ‘TTV views themselves as celebrities and thinks Eljay’s privacy is interrupting their schedule’

There are bigger issues with the Miru than just something relating to a video potentially having minor audio issues or whether Eljay is included in a video that includes seeing your faces, which is not the reason people go to the channel in the first place.

While I’m sure debating whether Eljay should have his mask or not so that TTV can do a video with their faces that nobody is really asking for or desires is something worth debating at some point… I’m not sure why that’s being discussed instead of the bigger issues.

If as being said here Eljay is being difficult to work with regarding his views on privacy and the mask, then perhaps it would be best to discuss that with Eljay rather than trying to win fan approval on either side here… which comes off as working against the channel as it makes things seem unprofessional.

2 Likes

These are all valid points.

This is not. TTV no matter what, isn’t going to be taken that seriously. Even if TTV were to abandon its Lego roots and become a gaming channel instead, the mask would not impact quality the way you’re saying it. Humans in general just don’t react in the way you’re implying that would cause TTV to have problems with expanding, You can argue that Eljay has double standards and that its ridiculous that he has the other cast members to bend over backwards for him in the name of privacy. Despite him being a part of a show that’s made for public consumption. But what you’re saying indi, is just ridiculous.

2 Likes

And the only reason why that stays that way is because of Eljay.

Because we don’t want to be focused on audio aspects. That’s the whole reason why this is a deal in the first place.

You’re missing the point.

The point with the channel is that we’re wanting to grow. I don’t hold any delusions based on what we are. I’m future proofing what we might be.

I don’t want this channel to remain where it’s at. I don’t think anyone in the channel wants it to remain where it’s at. Because we’re all getting jobs and we’re all starting careers and we all are going to college. You wonder why there’s been less content on the channel lately? It’s because we’re all busy being actual adults.

So either we’re able to grow our personablity, grow our audience, and grow our channel to the point where we can safely afford to spend more time on it…or we’re going to drop it.

The on-camera presence is the result of a ton of market research, a ton of channel research, and the only real shot we have at keeping TTV going. It’s not the only thing - there’s a huge, overall plan for TTV going forward that only tangentially involves being more on-camera. But it is a big enough part of it.

2 Likes

I have to be honest. I enjoy the videos where they show their faces, a lot more then when we only get to hear them. It is just easier to tell what is going on.

I agree with Kahi now. The channel needs to grow so they can spend more time on it. Or else we may lose TTV.

Ok first of all I LOVED DRAGONTALES so being compared to A PURPLE DRAGON from that show isn’t an insult. :slight_smile:
Secondly, I’m not going to BrickFair, so none of those concerns apply to me.

8 Likes

Alright, something I dislike about the channel. The fact that

[quote=“Kahi, post:374, topic:755”]
actual adults.
[/quote] feel the need to make their drama public instead of solving it in private.

Sure Eljay’s sorta to blame for starting this off, but you could have easily continued the conversation out of the public eye. But you’re too worried about your reputation. That doesn’t seem very adult to me.

There’s enough internet drama between Leafy and H3H3, all the prank channels, and all that stupidity. We do not need more of it.

4 Likes

Actual adults are just big kids anyway.

20 Likes

But you guys keep claiming to be professional, and this seems like the kind of thing that should be handled in private.

7 Likes

It was Eljay though, the others actually where keeping it private for the most part at least.

Pretty much.

Eljay did bring up the whole thing, but then Kahi brought up arguments here rather than trying to solve it in private =S

If anything this whole argument is the “youtube drama” equivalent of TTV

3 Likes

yeah if anything Kahi’s the one instigating a public argument :o

5 Likes