Closed Poll: 2006 Vs. 2007

While 07 was really cool and had nice designs all around, 06 takes the cake for me. The Toa looked cool, until you removed their masks of course! :stuck_out_tongue: Titans looked amazing, Inika weapons were cool. Especially with how some had 2 axles, plus strobe lights! I will admit, most of the Piraka looked weird and donā€™t have very posable arms, thanks to their spines, and had a worse zamor launcher than the Toa.

Iā€™m more of a fan of 2006. I mean, sure, the sets were not as good as 2007, but at least it led to the Inika build, which (if used right) could lead to tons of possibilities when it comes to posing. Sure, the Inika are generic now, but back then, they (and the Piraka) were a big deal. And not to mention it brought some pretty complex titan sets in the years afterwords.

I also like 2006 story-wise. It really went back to the mythical feel that 2004-2005 went away from. It went back to an island, but this time, it had huge titans, enslaved Matoran who follow snake-like humanoid creatures called the Piraka, and we have energized Toa. Not the mention the Toa didnā€™t fight animals or hordes anymore; They had a team of villains, NOT made by Makuta, who were literal gangsters.

I love 2006, story-wise. The sets were a bit gimmicky, but they brought important aspects of the BIONICLE building experience for me and many other MOCs. Not to mention 2007 showed the true potential of the Inika build.

5 Likes

I decided to throw my hat into the poll, and voted for 2006. I must praise 2007 for itā€™s extremely unique builds, and creating one of my favorite titans of all time (Hydraxon), but 2006 was the year I really began understanding the story. 2005 was the year I become a fanatic, but 2006 was when I became a fan (according to Varā€™s definition). It was the year I got really into the story. It was also the year I got 2 Vezon and Fenrakk sets :smile:. Even though 2007 is good, 2006 is more nostalgic for me.

Iā€™d also like to point out that 2006 had 5 novels, as compared to 3 for 2007, which allowed the main plot to be much more fully-developed. Thatā€™s a big plus IMO.

1 Like

2006 also had flash animations and VNOG.

1 Like

VNOG was horrible IMO.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t mind it. The tutorial was boring but the rest was kinda fun.

I was 6-7 when I played VNOG. All I did was run around the island, and killing Gafnas. I literally had no idea what to do. Once I got to fighting the Lava Ape and got horribly rekt 3 times, I gave up and never touched the game againā€¦similar story with MNOG and MNOG 2. Those games was too complicated for my tiny brain to comprehend, so I understand why Lego didnā€™t make an Okoto online gameā€¦

Ah yes, I remember playing VNOG a year or so ago, even with the Nui Blaster cheat it was pretty tedious.
ā€œGo to this side of the island, kill Gafnas. Go to the other side of the island, kill more Gafnas.ā€
Needless to say (even though I [sorta-kinda] knew what I was doing) it got real boring real fast.

1 Like

I say 2007.
Because of the underwater theme.

2 Likes

Indeed. Apparently 2007 was going to have four books, but Invasion was cancelled for some reason. Though the plot would have been pretty irrelevant to the main story anyways, so whatever.

2 Likes

what is this? I want to read it even if it does not have to do with the main plot

Would have taken place between City Of The Lost and Prisoners Of The Pit, and been about the Toa Inikaā€™s journey down the Cord. And Vezon doing stuff on the side.

1 Like

ā€¦ I still wanna read it, more Vezon is always good, and it would have been cool to see more cord stuff with the Inika

3 Likes

The sets for '07 were undeniably better, but the stroy for '06 was better, and the story is the main reason I like Bionicle, soā€¦
#2006 all the way!!!

1 Like

Itā€™s so hard for me to separate them, in a way I look at them as one in the same. 2007 is probably the most direct continuation of any year in Bionicle.
Thereā€™s so much I love about each, these were my favorite years in Bionicle. 2006 had the most awesome villains in all of Bionicle (in my opinion), the new Toa, and expansions to the overall universe, as well as a totally new outlook it took on Bionicle overall. 2007 took that and expanded on it. Is the expansion better than the year that started it? Itā€™s hard to say.

After everything is said and done, Iā€™d have to say 2007 is better. Why? The climax. Matoroā€™s death was one of the greatest most defining moments in Bionicle that seems to stick in fans heart for years. That is what I consider the tipping point that really puts 2007 over 2006.

2 Likes

story

of coruse

You just corrected a spelling mistake with a post with a spelling mistake in itā€¦

6 Likes

TheMatoroMovement confermened

'06 was certainly one of my favorite years, especially in retrospect. However, Iā€™m just going to have to give it to '07. The sets were great, the story was epic(Downfall remains one of my favorite pieces of Bionicle literature ever), and it was all around well-played atmosphere wise. '06 had all those things, but I just feel like it was taken to the next level with '07.

And Iā€™m more nostalgic about '07. '06 just wasnā€™t a great year for me personally.