Cryptid

#Cryptid

===========

So yeah, any of you guys ever just build something to vent some stress, not planning to really make anything, just sticking stuff together and somehow you actually make something? Yeah that’s how Cryptid was made.

I mean I have had plans to use his torso, which I actually found that piece in a biobag/box I bought, well only the torso bit which had the chest armour, tube (without the black piece and angled technic bars), black claw and a slightly different neck connection but with the same head, for a while but never got around to it until now and I definitely didn’t plan on this! But I gotta say I do like him.

Now then, onto the description and what not!

=============

“Hello my awaiting artwork, you may know me as Cryptid, your soon to be artist.~”

Cryptid came into being from the first and last test of a matorans attempted recreation of the mask of creation in metru-nui, despite having only vague knowledge of its powers and creation.
Perhaps if the matoran’d had a better understanding Cryptid may have never come into creation but unfortunately it’s much too late for that.

The matoran had believed the mask to have the ability to build anything the user thought of as long as there were near enough materials, even if they weren’t visible.
Who knows, maybe they were correct and they just weren’t strong enough to control it, perhaps they built the mask wrong, but until it is truly discovered what Artahkas
mask can do it will never be known and either way it is much too late to fix the matorans mistake.

During the first, and soon after last, test of the masks abilities the Matoran had been visiting a damaged parts dump, attempted to create something small, a tool or perhaps just a small figurine, whatever it was they chose the mask chose differently.
Unleashing a massive burst of creative energy, utterly draining the mask before becoming trapped in its own energy storm, being ripped from the matorans face to become the epicentre of its storm, forming a body around itself, a twisted and broken form, and once the storm was if finished and the being dropped to the ground, a form that exuded danger when it’s eyes of dark red and dripping with ichor to stare at the matoran, a twisted smile, that would stay for the eons and more of its existence, soon grown across its face.

That matoran became the first of many of Cryptids pieces of ‘art’ as he calls them.

While Cryptid is a ‘normal’ bionicle he is, in part, a sentient, and long powerless, mask and it’s shown throughout his personality, from his twisted love of creating, despite his lack of power, ‘art’, ranging from just simple, if but disturbing, statues and carvings to his preferred more ‘organic’ pieces, be they created from ‘gathered resources’ or his own, to his love of ‘artful’ dancing and posing, even despite the disturbing quality both usually retained they, along with his other art, manage to capture a sense of awe and disturbing ‘beauty’ in their designs, and, due to his accidental creation and what his body was created from some parts of himself do not work properly, such as his nervous system.
Oh sure, it works enough for him to be able to move properly and all but he can’t feel anything, only highly dulled versions of whatever sensation he should be feeling and pain is even more so, allowing for him to push his body to limits he never should’ve been able to reach and to personally ‘modify’ his body and indulge in certain ‘habits’ of his at my given time.

His own body’s healing ability is a very useful factor in all of this too, while it is only slightly faster than most without some healing item/mask it allows for his body to adaptively heal, continued injury forcing his body to heal in ways to attempt to avoid said injuries and due to his ‘habits’ he has greatly adapted his body to better work with him.
He has managed to force nearly all of his joints, from neck to knee to rotate and turn at any ‘realistic’ angle (directions it could already move, back, forward, side-to-side, etc). Allowing for him to create even creepier poses, dances and movements.

But as a counter to this ability his body suffers multiple problems from its uncontrolled creation.
The two biggest problems he suffers, and has created solutions for, are certain restrictions to his healing ability and a very dangerous internal one.

If his body takes a large enough amount of damage, focused on one area, he can not fully heal it, as shown with his back. Not too long after the time of his creation, perhaps a year or two, he was attacked by a horde of Vahki who had finally managed to track him down from his discovered ‘art’ pieces.
During the end of chase he ended up having his back broken before falling off a large cliff, ending up on his back somewhere in the depths of Metru-Nui, breaking his back even more. The Vahki, believing him to be dead and if not, at least removed from Metru-Nui, returned to the city, leaving Cryptid to slowly heal until he could move enough to be able to design a crude back harness, which he later replaced with a much better and more high tech one, which even injected certain chemicals and such to even better increase its benefits, later, which he used to return to the city before stealing a ship and leaving to find a new island to create ‘art on, of course not leaving before he left a few more pieces of his around the island.
While he can remove the harness and move without it he will be greatly weakened without, being forced to slow down and be more careful with his movements to keep from aggravating his injuries and he can only stay out of it for a finite amount of time before his back starts to give out again.

As for his internals, once again due to his unnatural creation a very important internal function of his body doesn’t fully work, I.e. His internal blood/protodermis flow, luckily (for him) he managed to discover and fix it in time, installing a tubing system to artificially pump his blood/protodermis throughout him. The tubes easily being his biggest weakness, while he can survive for about a week with minimally increasing detrimental effects the tubes and mechanics themselves are difficult to replace and he is highly protective of the tubes, going out of his way to keep them from being damaged.

He also, at a much later date, lost his right arm in a fight, yet his opponent only had a part in it, accidently setting off the explosion which ripped his arm off and also embedded the metal into his shoulder that he built the prosthetic into, his flesh later partially healing over it to make it even harder to remove.

Front:

Left side:

Back:

Back-brace closeup:

Right side:

Species: Artificial mask construct/bionicle

Age: …. Yeah, I still have no clue how to figure this out when it comes to bionicle’s! XD

Personality: Manic, gleeful, enjoys making his ‘art’, also has a tendency to burst into song, all of which tend to scare others or at least make them nervous from fear.
He’s not exactly evil but he doesn’t feel the same way as others and doesn’t see what he does as evil, and, while he has realized that most others have a different view than him, he really doesn’t care, they’re not him, and so what, the majority has differing opinions to his, why should he care, they don’t control him.

Other attributes: Adaptive healing that causes his body to heal to attempt to avoid repetitive injuries of the same type and area on his body.
Body cannot properly heal from extensively large and prolonged injuries.
Requires a tubing system to artificially pump his blood/protodermis.
Slightly higher than usual healing rate.
Has a mechanical back support that permanently cycles chemicals through him to lessen stress/strain on muscles.
Right arm is a prosthetic permanently embedded in his arm, only way to remove is to remove the flesh, that’s grown around it, with it.
Has a large tendency to inflict self mutilation upon himself when fighting and/or intimidating others for the additional ‘dramatic effect’ as he calls it, especially around his face/eye area, being able to heal damage to his eyes in about 10-30 minutes dependent on the amount of damage and even less so for scratches.
Rarely ever damages more than one in a fight unless his enemy is pretty much already defeated/really, really weak and he feels especially intimidating that day.
Enjoys making ‘art out of other beings. I.e. Ripping them apart and remaking their body in a disturbingly abstract way before leaving it somewhere for others to find.

Weapons: In truth, basically anything he can get his hands on or just his own claws, strength and flexibility, all skills that have taken down many an opponent (his usually stealing of their weapon to use against them helping).

==========
##Pose and quotes:

“Beauty is but in the eye of the beholder, and as I can agree, my eyes have never seen that clearly.~”

“Oh you’ll make such lovely art.~”

29 Likes

I can certainly sympathize with the boredom building, and because he isn’t a serious build, I think that he is amazing. Personally, I would have filled in the back a slightly more so a clearer shape could be seen. However, your creative backstory made up for the minor defect. All in all, great job, maybe I should post my boredom mocs as well :smile:.

2 Likes

Thanks mate! Glad you like 'im! And I do agree with the want to fill in the back some more, that’s mainly why I stuck the weapon onto it so it’d have some more detail/shape. Just couldn’t find any pieces to use with it that worked with his design at the time, and after I bit I just felt it was good enough for me to be happy with. Glad the backstory made up for it! It was a fun and went for an unexpected turn after I started writing it, never meant for the details and such to go as crazy as they did!

Also, you totally should upload 'em! So many of mine are actually just boredom mocs and they’re always pretty fun! Good backstory or no!

=P

This is a really scary and interesting moc concept.

The moc itself is very neat as well

1 Like

Though simple and a little random, the moc has quite a bit of character. Nice work.

@roguetoa Thanks! Glad to hear I got his creepiness factor down well enough!

@Morgy Yay! Glad to hear people like his backstory/character so much! Never really meant for it to become as detailed as it did! XD

1 Like

Same!

That’s a very interesting and crazy cool concept that you’ve brought to life there. Keep up the good work! Id love to see more like this.