Cyber-Hand's Forge

isnt it available already?

uhhh

why do I keep comenting without reading the full thing

1 Like

Nope, that’s white strong and flexible, not white strong and flexible polished.

I’m ordering a copy right now.

EDIT: Bam.

1 Like

Looks like it’s up fo white strong flexible polished, thanks Cyber-hand!

@Sammythekat requests I ask this here, so…
If I start a YouTube channel, I’d like to use a life-size Noble Huna.
Do you have any tips for making one?

Ooh a chance to share some making tips. I would be happy to help. Firstly what sort of Budget are you looking at? Once you figure that out you can determine the best way to make your mask. The following methods are listed in order of cost and difficulty level.

The cheapest option would be making one out of cardboard. It is a super easy material to get and you would be surprised at how versatile it is and you can make it look pretty good. But it isn’t the best for longevity.

Pepakura is a step up from using normal cardboard a very good way to make a mask out of cardboard. It takes a little longer but you have more control. You can also use fiberglass on the inside and bondo on the outside to make it very smooth much more resilient.
That is the best method I can think of for someone working on a tight budget. I recommend 200GSM cardboard and a quick dry pva glue.

Next stop in the craft making train is Yoga mats (aka EVA foam). Done in a Similar way to Pepakura, you print out a template on cardboard then cutting out the foam. Use a heat gun to shape the foam and quick dry cement to connect the pieces together.

Now I have experience with all before mentioned methods. But now we get to my area of expertise. 3d printing Using a 3d model and 3d printer in order to make the parts. This is the method I used to make Eljay’s current mask and you can see a bit more about how I did that here.

Hope that helps, and If you have any more questions about each method feel free to ask.

3 Likes

Could you post or send a link to some pictures of pepakura you’ve done? I’d really like to see.

I don’t have a 3D printer, but I know where I can use one.
Do you mind making a 3D model of a Noble Huna, and maybe split it up into separate parts? That would be useful. Thanks.
Also, I’m on a cheap as possible budget, so…

I know I’ve probably asked this a million times, but…
Is the MoUP currently on Shapeays the final version?
Also, which is the best material to get in order to have the smoothest looking texture for the mask possible?

1 Like

i would also like to know this. a version cyberhand and IXRolloutIx collaborated on was mentioned.

2 Likes

The Titan Scale is due for one very very tiny tweak iirc. The Villiager Scale is still the model from months back that is seen the most throughout the topic, and will eventually get the final update later on.

Saddly not. All of my pepkura was from a few years ago and I wasn’t very good at documenting my work back then. As far as I know these are the only images I have of the project and they are just the raw carboard put together.

I reccomend that you find out how much they are charging for the use of the printer. It would be pointless if I make the files and then it turns out that it is still going to be out of your budget. I also charge $40 to make a basic 3d model.

Not yet. Though the current version is practically done. The best material would be Acrylate. It gives the best finish/detail/strength for its price. I got a report that someone punctured their thumb on the cheek spikes of the villiger scale.

Saddly it seems like something always comes up and stops me from working on it in my free time. This time I am getting ready to move house.

1 Like

@Cyber-Hand So I got the classic-styled MOF…

It looks superb, but as you can see in the third photo there’s not quite enough room for the head at the top, pushing the connector prongs out of place a touch. I’m perfectly happy with it, but I’d suggest either moving the prongs down ever so slightly, or raising the cranium of the mask a little bit.

16 Likes

The 3D printing class is free for me.
Um…
I’ll pass if it is $40.
I can make a cardboard mask to start with, like Eljay. :slight_smile:

2/15/17 edit:
I cast my first Bionicle mask with molding putty and clear epoxi.

It has a lot of bubbles, it is too flexible and squishy, and it didn’t mold right.
Pretty good for a first attempt, though! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

@Cyber-Hand Have you ever thought of 3D printing injection molds for for your custom Bionicle pieces? I’ve been thinking of doing it with one of my models: a clean up
I currently can’t 3D print anything myself at the moment due to needing a part fixed.
Also, I bought your titan-sized MoUP off of your Etsy shop and can’t wait to finally print it. I currently have silver PLA and extremely want to see what a silver MoUP looks like.

6 Likes

I need that piece in my life.

6 Likes

I always wanted that piece, it’s my dream

1 Like

I just ordered the Mask of Fire in flexible polished red, and the pedestal mask of time…I’ll take pictures after they arrive in March! :smiley:

1 Like

Looking very good so far, if you want something stronger and will last, look into Alumilite 80D for anything you wish to dye and Alumilite amazing clear cast for anything transparent. That will give you a much better cast and it isn’t too expensive either.

I have thought about it and there are a few things that won’t work.

1. If I want to do injection molding with abs the same way lego does I am going to need something that can withstand the temperatures of the molten abs. Stuff made from a fdm printer wouldn’t be able to stand those temperatures and melt.
  2. the layers seen on the 3d printed models would interfere with the material that I am injecting into the mold, making the pieces really hard to remove.
  3. the plates used to do injection molding will warp over time meaning that each piece will be less accurate than the last.
    That said I think a lot of people would really like that mark you have modeled. Also I am sorry for your printer not working. I know how frustrating that can be.

Awesome I hope it makes it way safely to you and you can make good use of it.

1 Like

I wasn’t necessarily thinking of injection molding with ABS due to it has the same effect when it is printed with; it gives off cancer genes(toxic fumes). Also, people are already printing molds with the professional, big printers(basically printers from companies like stratasys) using a material called Virtual ABS. I don’t know much about digital ABS but it seems interesting.