Detective Pikachu

Like I said, I was genuinely surprised that this looked as good as it does. Not just visually, but overall.

For the longest time the Pokemon anime and movies have been mediocre at best and horrific at worst. But now the idea that there will be a widespread theatrical release live action Pokemon movie staring Ryan Reynolds, and it actually looks good. I still can’t completely believe it.

1 Like

The first time I heard about this movie (a long time ago) I thought it would be another anime movie. But now that I watched this…
I was never a fan of Pokemon. At some point I couldn’t even suffer it. But now that I am seeing this… And I am hearing Pikatchu’s voice…
I really want to se this movie. This really concernes me…
When will it be released?

Sometime next year. Probably in the summer.

1 Like

Why on Earth is Charizard furry? Whose decision was that?

1 Like

I think those are supposed to be scales.

~W12~

1 Like

I’m just confused by the premise… but it looks funny

Kid has dad. Dad goes missing. Kid finds Pikachu that he can somehow understand. Pikachu helps kid find missing dad.

1 Like

Turns out dad has been murdered by Mr. Mime.

1 Like

I mean I got that, but the very concept of “Ryan Reynolds plays a talking Pikachu that’s also a detective in a buddy comedy” seems so out of left field it’s crazy.

Its actually based off of a videogame by the same name. Well minus the Ryan Reynolds part. That’s new. Everything else you mentioned is from the game.

3 Likes

@legodavid I think thereve been live action anime adaptations in the past (correct me if I’m wrong anime fans)

Personally I think the movie seems… interesting. Hoping to see Ryan Reynolds reaction to being told to stay PG :joy: (If that’s the case)

4 Likes

There have actually been a lot of live action anime film adaptations. Almost all of them have been terrible.

Though this is more of a game to film adaptation. So maybe it’ll break the trend of videogame movies always being bad?

I’m trying to think of a video game movie that was good now :joy:

I think it’s a combo of the game(s) and shows…

but mostly the Detective Pikachu game.

I hope this is the beginning of an actual cinematic universe.

2 Likes

Probably not. Not every movie series needs to be a shared universe. Sometimes a stand alone film can just exist, and that’s fine enough.

3 Likes

Not to mention this isn’t a superhero movie that has multiple characters to focus on.

1 Like

What I wanted to say is that Pokemon has a lot of potential. If this movie is going to be successful, I would look forward for more movies, seeing that there are tons of Pokemon cartoons that may deserve a movie.

1 Like

As long as they stay away from ash I agree. That’s always been my one complaint; at least Yugioh changes their protagonists.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s definitely the one downside to the Pokemon anime compared to other franchises like Digimon or Yugioh. They change the cast regularly to keep things interesting.

And granted it seems they’re a little late to the party, but I’m glad Pokemon finally got the memo.