Discussion: What is your opinion on an RP "Universe"?

So, as most of you probably know, I am a GM on the message boards. I have created many and played RPs over my career, and almost all of which have been interwoven together to form a connected universe. In fact, other people have created their own RPs set within my universe as well. I have basically created an “MCU” of RPs.
I have tried to do research to see if anyone else has done something like this before, but I couldn’t find anything; it seems that my concept is unique.

Anyways, I would like to get your feedback on this type of thing. What do you think of this? Do you have an RP universe of your own, or any kind of fictional universe? And if you could give any advice for me on this matter, what would it be?

Thanks.

2 Likes

I like it.
RP universes are awesome.
Any advice would be to keep on adding and expanding, but letting users add some as well, so that they feel like they can contribute.

2 Likes

I’d advise against just throwing everything into it. You seem to put every RP you run into the same universe, even when some are obviously hardly related at all except for a single character. It makes a sort of hodgepodge that doesn’t really make sense when looked at as a whole.

3 Likes

I kinda did a similar thing with Symphaverse though it was on a smaller scale.

It’s an interesting idea, and a pretty good one, if done right.

But, a bit of a pointer:

Don’t go into the past, or at least not the relatively recent past, of an RP with a new one. Try your best to go roughly in chronological order. That way, it doesn’t seem like if a big event happened, it was just forgotten about, and it keeps cohesion relatively there.

And, of course, make sure there’s a cohesion to it, and not just “oh, this one point was similar, let’s just throw it in the universe too!” (exaggerated for effect)

1 Like

Runas sorta done a similar thing with Chaos Creation and InBetween.

imma be frank but connecting rps by one small character or plot thread makes it feel really hamfisted and kind of pointless to make them connected. I don’t see why a lot of your rps can’t be individual rps or be condensed into one larger rp.

2 Likes

That was actually kinda the point of In-Between, basically: A hallway that leads to every universe, and I used it to explore worlds from all sorts of RPs that happened before.
But more so, I’d say Chaos Creation and Chaos Realm.

Also, Holi attempted it with Arcana.

2 Likes

Emphasis on attempted lol

Opinion? Well, nice, I guess.

OK, I am going to talk about your universe exclusively.
Your universe is a mess. You post one new rp every one or two weeks. I looked into your topics once, and I had to scroll two entire screens just so I can find a topic that is not an rp. This is not how you make a universe. You don’t just think a few minutes at an idea that you find cool and then develop it into a (no offence) poorly written rp that sometimes has less than five players. Such rps have no value, no substance, no worth. They are just there in hope that you might develop moments in a universe that nobody really put any effort into (aside from those who apparently wanted to expand it with their own rps, tho I literally can’t remember such rp) that nobody asked for (oi this phrase is pretty long; I meant moments that nobody asked for).
A universe is not built like this. This is not a universe. Just because a lot of your stories happen in the same world doesn’t mean you can come in front of us and say “Guys, look! I’ve made the first rp universe!” because you didn’t. I’ve been and I still am (in two of these cases) part of not one, not two, but three universes: @MaxinePrimal’s Universal Devastation/Cybertron Reborn duology (I don’t think that this is the word that you use to describe a franchise with only two instalments but whatever), which turned out to be a mess, tho a fixable mess that I would happily revisit in the future, @Chromeharpoon’s Salvation/ToTGA duology, in which Chrome put months of effort into each of the installments, and @Runa/@jayzor17’s Okotoan Adventures universe, who is a little messed up, but I had much more fun playing it that I ever did in TTV MB-verse, a rp which clearly had no idea where it was going or what it was.
All of these universes have more rights to be called MCUs (even tho some had serious problems) than your “universe” which, from what I can see, has only one story line, and then milks as much concepts as possible and turns them into rps.
So no. In you’re case, I don’t like it.

2 Likes

This is where I come in! 2049: The City Of The Fallen

And you can’t mock it because it has 6 players!

But I kind of agree with Vladin, @Mctoran it sometimes feels like you can make more RPGs than you can handle, I feel Big In Japan and First Resistance should’ve come out a lot later

I’ve never ‘mocked’ @Mctoran’s rps. There is a strong, visiblw linw between explaining what you dislike at a certain thing and mocking it.

2 Likes

True, I was more just making a joke

I don’t like making stuff like this public but all the RP’s seem to have some deuce ex machina ‘the antagonist is cleared of all charges’ and ‘the angel knight wishes things better and everyone back to life’
I feel such problems would be fixed if you didn’t make the entire universe RP’s

Yeouch. A very bittersweet way of wording it, but Vladin’s post is, more or less… Completely accurate. Your entire RP Universe is set so you can reuse the same unlikable characters which so many of us have told you were not fit to use and should never have seen the light of day. Your universe makes every single RP feel like a copypasted concept instead of anything new, it’s “the same thing but in japan” or “the same thing but fifty years later” without throwing anything new or original into the mix.

Your universe exists because your RPs are too weak to actually stand on their own, and it’s really, really obvious.[quote=“Toa_Vladin, post:11, topic:49239”]
All of these universes have more rights to be called MCUs (even tho some had serious problems) than your “universe” which, from what I can see, has only one story line, and then milks as much concepts as possible and turns them into rps.
So no. In you’re case, I don’t like it.
[/quote]

Please don’t completely disregard any of this as biased hate because it isn’t. It’s the reiterated cries of a small amount of people who are really, really done with all of this. And were a long time ago.

2 Likes

Can I give you one request @Mctoran?

End the universe, I hate to say it but The Last Resistance doesn’t need a sequel, Mark is the biggest criminal of auto hitting, auto dodging and cheating death since anyone created by Michael

I’m not trying to be rude but @Ghid and @Toa_Vladin have a point

1 Like