Doctor Strange

11 Likes

I don’t know, that was an okay trailer

Mmm yesss. I quite enjoyed that. It also seems to get the story across; surgeon breaks his hands in car accident, goes to magical place, and gets taught by the Ancient One (who will be awesome. Anything by Gwendoline Christie is awesome.)

3 Likes

That trailer has my interest. I want to go see this film!

That was pretty cool, I like how it focused more on the character of Stevan Strange

Berniedict Cucumberbatch is always good. That and Marvel. I have faith this will be good.

1 Like

I have zero expectations. Good or bad. I don’t know if I’ll watch it. Maybe after I’ve seen the trailer.

I still wanna know who the villain is. A friend of mine told me that it could be Magus, which would be simply wonderful.

1 Like

It’ll be interesting to see how they handle a character that’s basically omnipotent. He is the Sorcerer Supreme after all.

2 Likes

It’ll be Strange’s journey to omnipotence.

1 Like

Yep this will be the best kind of strange.
Strange strange.

Looking forward to it, but the teaser trailer could have been better. Seemed more like a mix between Inception and Batman Begins than what i was hoping for which would have been more along the lines of The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.

2 Likes

After being repeatedly dissapointed by the DCEU’s films this should be nice since Marvel keeps bringing out the big guns. Looks different than most of there movies but in a good kind of way. Really excited!

2 Likes

Oh man. That movie was SO good. I’ll give a mini-review here.

So basically, this movie was great. Not perfect, but simply GREAT. I’ll list the negative things first. DON’T READ THE SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN’T SEEN THE MOVIE.

• Kaukalius or whatever his name is was boring, simply put. He was a generic villain looking for a goal that was dumb. He simply wanted to open a portal to summon Dormmamu out of the Dark Realm (which is basically the Negative Zone) and then gain immortality from him. It’s stupid.
  • Speaking of Dormammu, he was basically Galactus under a new name and shape. He ate planets, he was some huge guy, and he lived in the Dark Realm (which, again, is the Negative Zone pretty much.) This was probably Marvel’s excuse to get Galactus in the MCU without using Galactus. A shame too.

• The Ancient One… Some people think she isn’t an issue, but something bothered me about her. She didn’t feel human enough for me. While she broke the rules and even DIED, she still acted like a character who’s above all. It just didn’t sit right with me. All she could say was wisdom. We didn’t see her human side very much, unlike, say, Shifu in Kung-Fu Panda. (Yes I know he’s a red panda and that’s a completely unrelated movie but still. These master characters should be able to connect.) As a result I didn’t really feel sorry for her death.
  • The establishment of Stephen Strange being a jerk simply felt way too short for me. Anyone else feel this way?

OK, let’s get to the good stuff now.

• My gosh Benedict Cumberbatch was born to play this role. Starting off as a jerk, and ending up as a powerful sorcerer with heart and wisdom. He did excellent work on his American accent too. Portraying him as intelligent was done excellent too.
  • The supporting cast was good too. Like, really good. Mordo and Wong were likeable, albeit feeling a little too high and mighty until the end. That was something else done right with Strange, though. He felt human.
  • The comedy in this movie was good. “But Chronicler Marvel movies have bad comedy and get worse because of it.” Heed my word here for a second: the comedy in this movie actually makes sense. Sure there’s one forced joke here and there, but most of it flows very well and realistically in the film.
  • The development of Strange’s training and learning his powers felt natural, and him discovering the truth and how it was handled felt real. Overall, the movie benefits from an extraordinary main character.
  • The fight scenes. They were spectacular, and they bent time and space. Seeing New York buildings becoming platforms and new shapes out of their materials was brilliant. The effects for the magic was good. I liked how they made it look like sparks at times when opening portals.
  • The Eye of Agawhatever. These names are nerdy. I loved the way it was used. I just dislike the fact it was an infinity stone, but whatever.

• The Mid- and After-Credit scenes. Thor was great, especially with the drink being refilled by Strange’s magic. I rather enjoyed seeing Mordo showing he’ll become a villain too. This time it feels realistic.
  • Strange’s love interest (forgot her name) lead to many funny scenes. Although she’s not so much dealt into romance for Strange, they have good chemistry and seeing her react to Strange’s sorcery is really hilarious.
  • I have to bring this up, because it’s the BEST villain confrontation ever. Using the power of the Time Stone, Strange manages to go up to Dormmamu and tell him, “I’d like to make a bargain,” so he doesn’t destroy earth thanks to that evil monk dude summoning him. Dormmamu kills Strange without hesitation. However, Strange goes up to him again and states the same thing. This happens a few times until Dormmamu catches on and decides to keep killing the “new” Strange time after time. Eventually, after growing tired of this infinite loop, he listens to Strange and spares Earth for a while. Thus Doctor Strange uses the Time Stone to reverse all the damages. This was AMAZING to realize he defeated the villains without violence. Instead he defeated them with LOGIC and his INTELLIGENCE. It was just so good.
  • Adding onto the previous statement, I think as a first outing for Strange, we really got to see what this dude was capable of. It was so satisfying to see him finally win over Dormmamu. It got the point where the repeats of Strange getting killed starting making me laugh, until he finally got the chance to defeat him. Plus he freaking cleaned up the mess. Try that one on for size, Avengers. 'Twas really great.

Overall, REALLY good movie. I recommend it. You MUST watch it in 3D too.

5 Likes

Bu… but… I watched it in 2D…

I really Enjoyed Doctor Strange. One of my favourite Marvel films for a while. It really felt like a Phase One movie (with all the origins and the like)

I don’t see how it bothers people that The Eye of Amogatto is an infinity stone (not sure how to spell that one), but I will say the main satisfaction of the movie came from knowing what colour the Time stone is. I’m a sucker for colour co-ordination.

A really good thing was the use of the Time Stone. As in, it was really creative and didn’t come across as a plot device to easily save the day (I’m looking at you, Vision!)

Villains were quite lacklustre as they tend to be. Dormammu was just an evil entity who wants to devour the world. Not much character there, but I’m not sure what you could do with that.

The best thing about this movie was seeing Stephen Strange go from a pompous, arrogant man to a much more selfless hero. His character development was really well sold to me. Loving that he kept some of his core principles through the movie too, like his use of logic in the final fight.

Might go see it in 3D because the visuals are AMAZING. Like, wow.

2 Likes

that has to be one of the trippiest movies I have ever seen

was really good though

1 Like

Dude, do it.

YES. So much yes. Also, Benedict Cumberbatch did solid work on how he made his hands all twitchy.

1 Like