Doctor Who Discussion Topic

Not only can the time lords change gender, they can can change race too, right? Idk if I’m remembering wrong. As for the spoiler tag, that always happens. Even in classic series.:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I probably watched a few out of order, it’s been too long since, I think I’m going to check up on it again soon.

1 Like

Yop

Series 9 spoiler: In “Hell Bent,” that one Time Lord turned from an old white guy into a middle-aged black woman. XD

Good luck! Hope you like it!

2 Likes

Akay, so I am what you would consider a “newcomer” to DW. I have not seen all of the new show yet, (curse you netflix) and am wondering something about Timelords…can they choose what they look like?

1 Like

No, they can’t.
If they could, 10 would’ve been a ginger.

1 Like

No. They regenerate at random. I recommend you watch the original Docto Who tho. Imo it’s the best one.

1 Like

Well, there does seem to be a little bit of choice involved sometimes, but it’s a subconscious thing. Saying more would involve spoilers. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

3 Likes

In the classic series, Romanadvoratrelundar was able to pick a face she wanted, but it’s unknown how/why she could do that.

2 Likes

No. Every cell in a timelord’s body changes during regeneration. It is a very violent and often dangerous process to preserve the timelord’s life. If you were to regenerate, not only would your face and body change, but also your personality. It’s your body’s last-ditch effort to save your life. Plus, it’s implied that since a regeneration is so extreme on your body, it’s possible for your body to fail and you die anyway.

In short, no, and it’s not something you want to go through anyway.

However, Doctor Who is over 50 years old and plays fast and loose with its canon, so there have been some rare exceptions. Here are the ones that I know of:

• The Second to Third Doctor regeneration stands out. In “The War Games,” the Time Lords put the Doctor on trial and decide to exile him to Earth. They force him to regenerate, but they also allow him to choose his new appearance. This is the only time I can recall where a timelord is forced to regenerate.

• In his first appearance in the new series, the Master was shot. His last words before regenerating were “If the Doctor can be young and strong, then so can I. The Master reborn!” He was able to go from an old man to young, energetic one. Interestingly, after regenerating, he was surprised at the sound of his new voice. This could indicate that Time Lords have some influence over their regenerations but not complete control.

• The Romana incident. Unlike BIONICLE, where there is a clear canon, Doctor Who plays fast and loose with its own. There isn’t an “official” canon; a 50 year old show is ripe with contradictions, so fans and writers are free to interpret “canon” however they like. However, sometimes a writer does something so stupid that everyone universally agrees that it never happened. Remember when I said that a regeneration is extreme on the body and is something you don’t won’t to go through? That it’s the body’s last-ditch effort to stay alive? Well, whoever wrote this didn’t.

3 Likes

You get a regeneration! You get a regeneration! You all get regenerations!

2 Likes

Also, in Day of the Doctor, there’s a strong implication that he will eventually revisit “old faces,” which implies some amount of choice.

3 Likes

Here is hoping Tennant comes back…

Only this time they’ll dye his hair ginger :joy:

1 Like

Oh my gosh, that would be amazing.

1 Like

I want to start watching the classic series but I don’t know where to find them and I don’t want to waste my money on a million DVDs.

1 Like

You could check if your library has them?

1 Like

Libraries are a good place to look, but if that doesn’t work out, I think all of the episodes are on Dailymotion. I think Amazon Prime and Hulu also have decent selections, but not everything.

1 Like

It’s on Netflix… oh, wait. /s

1 Like

You can find them in libraries, and back when I had netflix they had around 20 episodes of the classic series on there.

In my opinion, the classic series is much better than the modern series. One thing to note about it is is that every episode is (usually) around 2 hours, split up into 4 30 minute parts.

3 Likes