Dragon Concept

Part of a month and a half uni project to design a Dragon - This is the final piece. I have my problems with it, but overall I’m really happy with the result. My intention was to steer as far away from a traditional dragon as possible, and instead create something that belonged in a horror movie rather than a fantasy movie.

Below I’ve added all the sketches which helped me refine my idea - most of which focus on the head. I liked the idea of combining the hooded design of the Grim Reaper and H.R. Giger’s NSFW imagery to create something really unsettling.

46 Likes

That is honestly terrifying

2 Likes

@Ace Thankyou :smiley:

2 Likes

I love this too much. I have a soft spot for creepy designs.

1 Like

Jeez, dude, that’s insane! I’d definitely say you succeeded in your goal! I’ve never seen anything like that before!

What sort of class is this for? I’d love to take something like that… :laughing:

These are horrifying. Grotesque and disturbing in all the best ways. I also see a lot of inspiration from Venom in this.

And I doubt this was intentional, but a few of the designs reminds me of this.

1 Like

@LTVmocs Thanks :smiley:

@PakariNation99 Games Art course, concept art class specifically :slight_smile:

@MaxinePrimal I wasn’t thinking of Venom as I was designing it (though I have taken inspiration from Venom previously), but I see what you mean! Same with the concept you linked, I haven’t seen it before but it looks awesome!

3 Likes

Welp, I’m scarred— I mean— scared.

I hate it, good job.

I really love the design; it seems very insectoid and alien while maintaining the dragon-like concept.

Spooky. But well done.

Spooky dragon. Ten skulls :skull::skull::skull::skull::skull::skull::skull::skull::skull::skull:/10

I really like this. The slenderness of it makes it super creepy, but not to the point that you can’t tell it’s a dragon.

Wow, this drawings are awesome, and spooky, and they make me remember as a kid how I loved drawing dragons!

This is beautiful

As a man who loves horror I love this

Thankyou for all of your compliments and feedback! Sorry I haven’t been very active here, I haven’t been at my PC much since the original post.

Also, I’m surprised I forgot to include this; I used this as a skeleton to help with the structure and perspective in the final concept - to my surprise my lecturers loved the idea!

6 Likes

Very well done, mate! It looks like a creepier version of a HTTYD dragon.

1 Like

Spooky scary dragons…

1 Like