Drawing Advice/Help

I’ve noticed recently that my artwork has become more and more worse. Even things I’ve drawn dozens of times aren’t getting better. I’m not trying to put myself down. That’s just how it is. So I just want to ask y’all, the people who read this, what you think I should practice drawing. Now I know I can’t become a master artist over night. I’m just asking things you thing I should draw. It can be anything from anything, or just a simple object. Any tips you have can help. Thaaaaaanks.

3 Likes

Well, I can’t give you any tips, but you can always be reassured by the fact that whatever you draw, it’s probably better than what I can draw.

There are hundreds of great drawing tutorials on the internet. But as for one I have myelf if you want to draw straight lines use a ruler.

Also, trying drawing random objects in your house. I.E try drawing a mug. That’s great practice.

1 Like

What I do to get better at drawing stuff is to draw something and then keep drawing that thing several times, observing what you did wrong and going forward from there. But once you’re satisfied with the drawing, it’s best not to forget about it, so I find it good to go back every once in a while and redraw it.

2 Likes

I’m self taught in the world of art so I’d have to see these ‘bad drawings’ to tell you what to practice. Personally, I don’t understand shading.

3 Likes

I guess, just think positive and keep practicing. I just think that you shouldn’t use tutorials, but draw by your self. Tutorials, (in my point of view) makes me feel like I am practicing copying and not drawing. Maybe try practicing different art styles and different art techniques used by the famous artists like Van Gogh. What I am implying here is to try to learn drawing techniques by looking at famous paintings and try to draw them with a pencil. I know I am kinda counteracting what I said before, but do not WATCH tutorials, but instead practice art techniques used by famous artists. I hope this helped :wink:

2 Likes

Really just draw whatever comes to mind, and if it doesn’t look the way you wanted it too, figure out what about it could’ve been done better, and then work to make that better, and then once that’s done, if there’s anything else you feel you need to improve apon, just work on that.

2 Likes

I agree with all that’s been said here. It took me years to get the female body/autonomy just right.
I would also suggest taking art class in school, if you’re not in an art class already.
Just keep practicing, and don’t get discouraged.

2 Likes

Really, just more practice. Take some time too to study other artists’ works, or maybe watch some drawing videos so you can understand the concepts (don’t copy line for line, just use what they are doing and saying as a guide for your own art; Mark Crilley and Draw With Jazza are great starts, I feel).

Even if you feel like you aren’t improving, just trying to do something improves you just that little bit. I’ve been drawing for years and every year, even when if have’t really drawn that much, I can see that those times I did just helped me start to form the foundation and I improve. Any little bit helps, so just grab some paper and start drawing everything, anything you have trouble drawing!

2 Likes

Umm I don’t have a great camera, but I can PM you a couple if you want.

1 Like

That would be good.

1 Like

My words of wisdom:

(But in all seriousness, I’ll try to post some advice and some tips and tricks in improving later on)

1 Like

I’d suggest to layout the shapes of what ever you’re drawing and then add the detail. That should help quite a bit.

1 Like

Focus less on the bigger picture and more on the little things.

Don’t draw happy if you’re not happy. Don’t draw sad if you’re not sad.

Never try to draw a straight line. Let it flow and curve. If you really need a straight line, make it out of smaller straight lines instead.

The material you use for art never matters. Paint with charcoal, draw with paints, it’s up to you, not the picture you want.

These are a few guidelines I use in my art, hope it helps.

2 Likes

Here’s my advice for making bodies and heads more easier. I posted this on a similar topic:

1 Like

Just keep drawing. Draw something new every day, and make sure you apply different techniques such as pressure and how the pencil flows. If you’re drawing things dozens of times you may not be getting enough variation which could be making you lazier, even if it’s subconscious. Practice a lot, and you will get better, I promise :wink:

2 Likes

I am going to recommend something that helped me get better at drawing, and looks awesome. He is my favorite character in any video game…

Draw tri edge from dot hack gu

Is this him? Redirect Notice

@Radiation-7901
Yes…
Here’s mine so far, taking a lot of reference from pictures

Show me when you’re done(if you decide to draw him)

(Thanks for accepting my friend request,BTW)

1 Like

I’ll give it a shot.