Dungeons & Dragons Discussion Topic

I’m DMing this year and so far my group has to carry around the sorcerer because the monk druged him and now all his limbs have shriveled up and fell off.

This year, I played a fallen Half-Elf Ranger god that got fired for being terrible at his job. The DM and I worked the backstory for the campaign so that my character was directly/indirectly responsible for the backgrounds of every other character in the part. He fought with a swordbow and almost died in the first encounter because none of the other characters did anything except the dark sorcerer (who had to be the healer because the paladin was so injured he couldn’t even stabilize himself).

Also, there was a swoll fighter in the party. He had an AC of 19 at level 1.

I’ve actually been doing a campaign with @Omega_Tahu, @KAI_BORG, and @Morgy. I think it’s been fun so far, but we really need to get a date for the third session soon.

3 Likes

Sorry about that! Had some stuff come up and couldn’t really get back into it and then it proceeded on from that! I’m good to go at (nearly) any time currently though!

1 Like

huh I didn’t know you were doing a campaign

would it be problematic if I was allowed to join? (I am guessing it is Fifth Edition)

Nah, we aren’t far enough for it to be a problem. But I would need to friend you on Discord, and it’s a very…homebrew-y game, just a fair warning.

1 Like

I am the dumbest thief you will ever meet… my stealing skills/related have the worst luck but I’m one of the luckiest fighters and I’m fairly certain I’m also the highest level character currently, right?
And he has also developed a liking for using chairs as weapons due to certain events in the ‘tutorial’ dungeon. XD

1 Like

Thanks for letting me join the campaign
here be my Discord Tag

and I am guess the homebrew is mainly races and classes?

Actually, more so in enemies, relics and spells and the like.

Cool story just happened a bit ago in my game with @KAI_BORG, @Omega_Tahu, @Morgy, and @Whaddon, who’s characters are Tebryn(rogue) Eric(warlock) Sethellis(ranger) and Goldus(paladin) respectively, and mine being the ranger Runa.

So we were waiting by a Well that was going to be poisoned at midnight, and had been there since about midday with Tebryn and Goldus bickering, pulling each other into the well. A battle ensued with the poisoners, and we all went to the inn to rest. Tebryn tried sneaking in the window and pulled a disguise out of his ‘Bag of Crappy Costumes’ this one being basically a bird fur suit. He then proceeded to climb, was shot at multiple times by Runa, and eventually the group gained an audience. Goldus soon through his war hammer at him and got it thrown back at him, Runa kept missing his arrows, and Eric missed a few Eldritch blasts, all directed at Tebryn, who kept playing it up as an act. He struck a Jojo pose and got shot in the foot by lightning. Then, Runa tried to shoot again.

I rolled a one

The bow spontaneously combusted, was shot by lightning, was disintegrated, and blown away in the wind, before returning to his arms as dust. He clutched it and fell to his knees, uttered “my baby…” and sulked for a minute. After, enraged, he walked through the inn, stabbing a guy, walked up to the roof that Tebryn just jumped off of, jumped down, redrew his sword and tried to cut Tebryn’s hand off, but only got his finger. Tebryn asked the gathered crown for money, and got some as Runa attempted to drag him out of town.

It was a fun session.

We decided that the group will be known around as a traveling show, yet will probably be wanted criminals in that town when they inevitably pass through again.

3 Likes

HAHAHA! XD

I actually wrote out a mild story/retelling of all of it (that I could clearly remember) that I’m planning on uploading to reddit!

Here’s what I’ve gotten written down so far for anyone curious:
######(Still editing it so if I messed anything up let me know Runa/others, thanks!

===============================

This happened during our third session of gameplay:

I’ve been playing as Tebryn Vance Patrin, a human rogue who was pretending to be a noble adventurer from a little known family, on the quest to rebuild his families fortune after an unfortunate robbery.
He, in truth, was an urchin who was trained by the leader of his cities highly successful thieves guild after managing to catch his eye from his own innate skills of the silvered tongue and feathered fingers.
Due to his own natural frailness, and skill set, he was trained in the more charlatan ways of a thief, which was also how his persona was created. Unfortunately he was later framed for the murder of the leader, both actions which were committed by his right hand man at that, which then resulted in his vowing of an eventual revenge, and has since been on the run, a… hearty reward set upon his head.
Currently the reports haven’t spread to far yet he has to be careful in large cities.

We were playing a homebrew session (custom experience/level up, items, the usual) and had just finished up fighting a group of zealots or something who were planning to poison the water supply via the towns well (which I had previously been thrown into by our dwarf paladin who held a slight grudge due to my earlier failures at stealth attempts though out the town (also due to his learning of my previous stealing of chairs from the house of the last towns mayor)).

After that fight, during which I just stayed in the well and did nothing besides a 1 turn illusion spell (homebrew) and the immediate breaking of my shortbow (which I later replaced with another (haggled down) one, and then sold the broken to our undead warlock for 5 gold XD! Gotta love persuasion).
After that the others started to discuss who’d be paying for the rooms that night, a discussion I immediately vanished from through a (very) successful stealth and athletics roll which I used to climb onto the roof of the inn.
The others settled upon choosing the unlucky payer by the pulling of sticks of differing length, two of which were removed as the DM’s character realized their own lack of money and then the lack of myself.

During their rolls and whatnot I started to travel around the roof searching for any… ‘free’ rooms. Unfortunately a few of the groups companions noticed Tebryn’s absence and started to look for him.

Now here’s where the homebrew really comes into play.

Here’s the thing with Tebryn, I have played him before and no matter how hard I try he always, and I mean always, gets terrible stats. But this also has so far allowed for a pretty fun benefit on my behalf. A benefit which I like to call 'the Bag of Crappy Costumes.
I have currently used this every time I have played him (thank goodness for kind DM’s) and it basically allows him to pull out a random costume of any specified attributive choice, such as a bird, or an orc, or a tree. But the costumes are absolute crap every time (unless you roll a 20 in which case you get a +1 to deception/stealth (attribute dependent) and a slightly more ‘realistic’ costume).
So if you asked to become an Orc you might get some green face/body paint and possibly fake orc fangs/black contact lenses, and for a tree you might get a cardboard (or some matching material) tube of your size (possible lines to show texture) with a ‘leaf’ (think kids drawing) shaped fabric stuffy attached on top.

So as you can guess when he noticed they were looking for him he immediately pulled it out… and then proceeded to pull out a large, very humanoid shaped, bird costume.

Here’s another funny fact, in this current campaign my luck is absolute trash. I have currently failed nearly every roll other for attack rolls (which made me one of the heaviest hitters at first! I mean, c’mon! I’m the rogue for crying out loud!) and perception rolls, and that’s only when there’s nearby danger to my character! (which quickly caused me to gain a pretty funny superstition. One which hasn’t failed yet at that!) so trust me when I say the following caught me by a lot of surprise.

Basically they managed to spot me on the roof before I had gotten into costume but due to my own stealth roll they hadn’t yet made out who I was, allowing for me to attempt an acrobatics roll to get tebryn into the costume extremely fast, and I somehow made it!.. making it so they all saw a very humanoid bird standing on the roof! XD

And this is when the fun starts.

First our archer (the DM) joked about not paying for dinner and then attempted to shoot me, which I dodged perfectly! And this was just the beginning of my luck!
So after Tebryn’s first backflip matrix dodge he attempted to shoot him again, using the same joke, which he again manged to dodge, midair too!
After scuttling father back on the roof, going onto the opposite side to prevent any more perception checks and attacks, his dwarven ‘friend’ managed to realize how humanoid the bird was while our archer attempted to enter the inn and head upstairs and the others just laughed.
Now, the original reason I had decided to head up there was so as to find a ‘free’ room, and after the odd fight I was hoping the others would ignore Tebryn and allow for him to find said room (a task he immediately failed after finding an unlit one and waking up the (luckily) blind inhabitant.

Now at first that’s what happened… until he decided for some reason to throw his bucket, which the dwarf had given him in the earlier fight, down the chimney which lead to the main room as noisily as possible in hopes to ricochet it in such a way that it’d miss the fire. Which he failed. Resulting in everyone noticing and both the bucket and some of the floor lighting on fire.

Now the dwarf, recognizing his bucket, didn’t want either it to or the inn burn up so he decided to attempt to punch the fire out, being a more brawn’s over brains despite his int-score, which he then managed with a perfect 20! XD

All of this of course alerted the others to the fact that there was someone on the roof so they left to check it out, except for the archer.

What wasn’t expected when they left was for the dwarf to pull himself up onto the roof and then start to chase him. He ended up cawing very realistically at him (performance roll), being recognized by his eye color (has heterechromia) by a lucky perception and wisdom check, and attempting to stealth off to search another unlit window farther down… until the dwarf chose to throw his whetstone at Tebryn… which he failed to dodge and then took 4 damage from (and he only has 17 health at that)…
During this the DM had both failed to convince a guard to let him onto the top floor to deal with me and also failed to vault over him (acrobatics), which ended up with him being thrown out of the building after he attempted a second time. But, of course he didn’t give up on hunting this ‘bird’. Attempting to shoot him as the dwarf was throwing his Whetstone at Tebryn, which he luckily dodged (again) before being smacked into the window, cawing very badly and flipping them both the bird… and then the inhabitant woke up and called a guard… luckily neither noticed Tebryn due to a quick stealth roll! Until he tried to intimidate them both, failed, cawed badly, gave them both the bird and fell out the window onto the ground.

But he wasn’t down yet! No, he immediately got back up onto that roof, the dwarf having jumped down as he fell, and continued to move around, both dodging another shot and watching the dwarf fail to climb back up as he continued to caw both badly and realistically, still giving off the bird whenever he could.
And then the dwarf threw his hammer at him, somehow managing to hit him despite the strength and dex roll needed (for aim), beating Tebryn’s dodge and dealing 7 damage (knocking Tebryn down to 6) but, and this is my favorite bit, Tebryn managed to pull a perfect, natural 20, strength save to not get knocked off the roof, resulting in both himself not being moved at all and managing to grab the hammer before it fell. Which he then promptly got ready to return to its owner, rolling both a 19 dex and 20 strength score (and these are both with disadvantage due to its weight), both hitting him dead on and matching his AC (shield included), which resulted in the need of a d20 tiebreaker, one which I barely won by 1, resulting him taking a perfect max 10 damage!
This was quite literally the second best roll combo I have ever had in any of the campaigns I’ve been a part of!

After that the dwarf failed another throw, kinda feebly dropping it, the archer shot at Tebryn again, twice in a row this time, both which he barely avoided, and the dwarf attempting to borrow the longbow, revealing to us our archers possessiveness of his ‘baby’ as he calls it, before Tebryn was finally asked who he was, despite the dwarf’s attempts to tell them it was him in the bird suit.

Now by this time a pretty good size crowd had formed out front to watch and Tebryn knew a pretty good opportunity to earn some money when he saw it. So when he was asked who he was he proceeded to walk onto the middle of the roof and then give off his best “Caw caw!” all while striking the Kars pose, from JoJo’s bizarre adventures (this one to be exact: http://apollo-na-uploads.s3.amazonaws.com/1439243352/KarsJojo.jpg ), perfectly!
And then had his ankle struck by lightning after a botched roll (love this DM).

So after Tebryn recovered from that, attempting to reassure the crowd it was all part of the performance, which he semi-failed due to both his pained speech and smoking suit, he continued to both give the bird to the others, dodge an eldritch blast from our warlock and continue to act, a partially failed back-flip and a adequate dance and caw both badly and realistically (again) all the while, before the archer tried to shoot down their ‘free dinner’ again.

And oh boy did that go bad.

So here’s a rule in this campaign, if you roll a 1 on an attack you have to roll another d20 to see if your weapon breaks, roll below a 10 (or was it 5?) for a wooden item and it breaks.
He rolled a 1.

Now then, due to my earlier lightning bolt he had a pretty fun description for what happened to his bow, first it got hit by a lightning bolt, then it immediately combusted, before disintegrating into an ash pile which he attempted to hug while crying about his ‘baby’. This is when his luck started back up again because straight after that he proceeded to stalk into the inn, knock out the guard, get onto the roof, attack Tebryn with his shortswords, resulting in the loss of Tebryn’s pinky after an attempt to take his entire hand (knocking him down to 1 health), hit Tebryn off the roof as he attempted (and again semi-failed) to assure the crowd this was all part of the act, land next to him and then proceed to grapple him by the head and start to drag him out of town, all due to the anger caused from his bows destruction which he blamed upon Tebryn, who was still attempting to let the crowd know donations were welcome at any time (quite a few bad rolls there).

Luckily despite my bad luck, Tebryn’s previous actions had managed to impress the crowd enough that they started to throw out gold (only currency we so far use) as he was dragged off. Unluckily our warlock immediately started to gather it up and Tebryn was still grappled, but once that gold started flashing his goldsession immediately kicked in.
He then managed to one, wrench his head out of the mask and grip (lucky dex save), two, beat the still pissed archers following intimidation roll, and then three, intimidate him back for his mask/helmet and then manage to beat him in the following tie-breaker before popping it back on and collecting 5 gold from the ‘donations’ (dratted warlock got the other 15).

The session ended after that, but, to put it simply, that was one of the most laugh filled yet!
I can’t wait until the next session (just hoping I can heal soon mainly. I still have 5 of my 17 hp! XD) Planning to see if I can roll and see how big of an impact our performance had (I’m hoping quite a few tales/rumors get spread, 'cause if so, we’re going to be rich!).

So here’s the story of both my luckiest and our funniest round yet and the possible birth of the ‘Actors of the fighting bird’ traveling comedian group! XD

And don’t worry, there’ll definitely be more stories and updates from this campaign, all of which I can’t wait to see! XD

2 Likes

I do love using insanely high charisma to mess with people and subsequently convince them I meant no harm.
The mess with them again.

4 Likes

In this campaign I have currently managed to get a 15 foot long, 2 handed, lightweight/magic stone, golem sword (Homebrew weapon).

2 Likes

I like to make a ton of custom monsters for combat encounters in my game (5e, fast and loose with the rules. We’re all noobs). Here’s one that my pcs are current fighting:

2 Likes

That’s terrifying

1 Like

That you caught out of the air as it was thrown at you.

1 Like

Oh yeah, forgot about that… HELL YEAH! GO TEBRYN YOU MAGICAL PIECE OF %^(& THAT EVERYBODY, and I mean everybody, HATES!

WOOT!

Yup.

Enough for his party members to attack him.

1 Like

'ELL YEAH! XD

Two things got me interested in D&D. One of them was one of my irl firends and the other thing was ProJared’s D&D videos. Me and My Irl firend tried to do a game, but we didn’t get around to doing it. Also I looked in his DM notebook years later and THERE WAS NO KOBOLDS!!!

So my first D&D Character was a dragon-elf hybrid (If your are thinking of a dragonborn from Elder Scrolls, yes I was on a Elder Scrolls kick back then). But I eventually scrapped that one. Eventually there was another character I started but didn’t finish. But recently I made this character who also doubles as my fantasy persona:

I have not had the chance to use him yet.

1 Like