Ekimu & Makuta Minifigure Design (WIP) [Art]

Hello there! This is my take on @RAKRONDEWL’s outstanding minifigs and macrofigs figures, along with some inspiration from @DarkMaestro’s designs.

I apologize if there are no masks along with the minifigures; the thing is, I couldn’t decide the mask design these minifigures should have. I thought @Oomatu’s concept art was an easy pick, but recreating both his Mask of Creation and Control resulted in a disaster. And while other mask designs could do the trick, I felt quite dissenting with these other results as well.

The first minifigure is basic Ekimu, straight outta Rakrondewl’s design, while the second one is an elder-esque outfit, based on DarkMaestro’s design. You’ll recognize the chest and shoulder armor being a custom piece, although it has similarities to another armor.

And here we have Makuta, displaying an official LEGO torso armor and a color scheme I still feel a little bit conflicted by.

UPDATE 1: Mask of Control included! New Makuta face mold and alternate color scheme!

UPDATE 2: Finally! Mask of Creation complete! Hope you enjoy it!

Feedback is welcome as always!

33 Likes

the first one looks like thanos…

11 Likes

Thanks for the tag! These look great, and I can’t wait to see them with masks!

3 Likes

I thought we were going with Makuta being black with ice blue highlights? Don’t get me wrong, I actually like purple more for him, I’m just curious.

4 Likes

Pretty nice minifigure designs. They’ll probably look even better with the masks.

3 Likes

The black and purple color scheme was Rakrondewl’s idea; but I might make an alternate color scheme for Makuta, once I make the masks…

3 Likes

I think you can try another colour scheme, but I would stick to purple for the final version myself. Light blue makes him too similar to Ekimu, IMHO. If you aren’t satisfied, you could 1) Reduce the purple (for more black) or 2) Make the purple less blue and more red or 3) Add a third colour, or any combination of these. That’s what I would try to do anyway. Keep up the good work.

1 Like

Wow, these look really good. I especially like the inclusion of the armor.

Thank you for the compliments @FuegoDeCera.

I don’t recall their colors being canonized by the TTV cast while designing my models, so that is why I chose what I thought would look best.

2 Likes

I remember somebody once saying “I don’t like light blue on Makuta” and someone from the TTV team replying that they’re going with that colour scheme because it fits how they made the character, but I might remember it wrong that it was someone from the team. Probably some random user.

3 Likes

UPDATE: Here’s a glimpse of an scratched Mask of Control; while the design is far from completed, there’s a new face which shows Makuta’s “third eye” and that’s going to stay in future updates.

5 Likes

Am I getting a glimpse or is he?:stuck_out_tongue:

It looks amazing and I can’t wait for the final design.

1 Like

@Ace agreed

How do you make these!?

2 Likes

I use Paint.NET; which has been a faithful friend since 2011 and my preference over Photoshop. I highly reccomend it.

4 Likes

Thanks! And can I just say, I love your design!

1 Like

UPDATE: Mask of Control complete, you can watch it at the top of this topic! Although I might revisit the design at some point, I’m quite satisfied with this result. Next up, by far one of the most difficult masks to replicate: The Mask of Creation! Wish me luck!

4 Likes

It looks glorious, nicely done. And good luck with the Mask of Creation, I look forward to seeing it.

3 Likes

I very much like the purple Makuta, but I am conflicted with Ekimu, especially the design on the collar-armour. These could do with more detail, and Ekimu’s mask, but they’re definitely a good starting point.

2 Likes

That mask looks amazing

2 Likes

Amaizing job, I am excited for ekimu.
Although I feel that Makuta’s second color scheme should be more bright silver and teal, rather than all dark. It would make him look less like 2d evil villian.

Just my opinion though.

3 Likes

Now I’m excited for Karzahni.

4 Likes