Empire of Insects (signups)

That could still give him the ability to do so in the future though, which is what Ghid is hesitant about.

…unless after he refused it the first time, it would be a sort of “lost his chance” sort of deal.

If the character is fighting their instincts to do so I doubt they’d change their mind

2 Likes

Fair, and I agree there, but since I didn’t know if Ghid wanted a physical reason or if a mental one would suffice, I was thinking I would try to think of a physical one just in case.

Well there’s also the possibility that all species could simply just exist in a specific form for the sake of this RP, like how Yuburu is clearly a child and yet has the anatomy of a fully-grown mantis.

1 Like

I like that explanation. And since the larval antlion is the one that most people know, I’d think that would be a good one for it to be instead of always being full grown.

One more question: Is this RP bug sized bugs in bug sized cities in a human sized world, or is it human sized bugs in human sized cities?

bug sized bugs

But us sized world?

And there are medieval style weapons, right?

bug sized cites and tools

1 Like

Okay, cool. I’ll work on my characters, then.

The trees in the forest are closer to bug scale than to us scale. Otherwise, the land formations are generally scaled to bugs.

1 Like

So they basically have the size and appearance of Bonzai trees?

…What?

When did I imply they were entirely bug scaled and looked like bonzai trees

I’m confused

Well there goes part of my one bug’s attire

Alright, thank you.

When you mention miniature trees, Bonzai trees usually come to mind.

And yet I did not give any indication that the trees here are bonzai nor incredibly tiny. Bonzai trees have incredibly distinct shaping and appearance, so I’m not sure why you immediately jumped to that with little pointing towards it.

(Also 'cause of the Asian cultural influences)

Alrighty then, let’s try to see if this works.

Name: Eleanor the Red
Species: Ladybug
Capabilities:
-She can fly, although she isn’t really the best at it, since it’s a bit awkward for her.
-She has and can use well her pair of two half-circle shields, fashioned to look like her shell, that can lock together into a larger shield, and can be stored over her wings when not in use.
-Her wing coverings can be effectively used as shields.
-She is trained in dual-wielding shortswords, though she far from being a master.
-She’s usually quite quick moving.
Appearance: Bipedal, thin and average height. Her main body is primarily black, and her ‘shell’ is the signature black-spotted-red that the ladybug is usually known for. It’s her upper arms that hold her shields and her lower ones that she uses her swords with. She wears a ripped green leaf as a scarf and a piece of birch bark fashioned into a circular hat on her head, both made from things she found in her first and only adventure into the outskirts of the Great Forest, after which she barely made it out with her life.
Bio: Eleanor was fatherless from early her youth. However, she always remembered the lessons her father taught her: honor and chivalry.
However, even those were lost to her years ago, once the one she put all of that into defending, her mother, also passed. With that, she lost her purpose, her drive, and her way. She wandered the kingdom for months, eating little and not knowing what she was doing or looking for.
Until one day, she met Felicia.
Since then, the two bonded immeasurably, becoming a team of great skills and a great sense of adventure. However, they still just wandered, helping random passersby, and having themselves a good time.
Then, the Emperor fell.
Eleanor saw this as the perfect chance. If she found and brought to justice whoever did it, she might be able to make a name for herself. She might be able find a purpose, or someone to fight for. And so, she hunts.

Name: Felicia the Swift
Species: Firefly
Capabilities:
-Can create a bright flash of light from her abdomen every so often(once every 20 turns max), or a dull glow that can be used for lighting
-Can fly
-Highly trained in swordplay, specifically in the styles of both a rapier and a hand-and-a-half blade, though she only carries the latter on her, along with a small buckler shield.
Appearance: She stands bipedal, four arms, with wing joints right above where her top shoulders are. She carries her blade on her hip with the shield being stored right on the scabbard. Her abdomen goes outback from her legs, and when not glowing is a dull yellow-green color. She wears the closest thing to an ornate necklace as this world would have.
Bio: Felicia was the daughter of a highly regarded and ranked court servant, who had always taught her, with help from her mother, to be a “proper lady.” However, Felicia did not like this life. She yearned for adventure, for action, for the blade. Thankfully, her aunt, seeing much of herself in the young girl, taught her what she had learned of the sword, hoping it would also calm the girl, and maybe make her a bit more open to taking on the role that was laid before her. However, that could not be farther from the truth. After learning the ways of the blade, and becoming quite masterful in them, she ran off into the countryside to explore the world and face off against dangerous foes.
In her new adventures, Felicia would meet a strange ladybug girl by the name of Eleanor. The two would become quick friends in their search for adventure, though Felicia would always act more daringly than the slightly more reserved Eleanor.
Once the Emperor was killed, while Eleanor was dead set on avenging him, Felicia was much less sure of it. She had left the Capitol and the high life behind for a reason, and was afraid that going this path; would lead her to being dragged back into it. However, she knew she couldn’t leave Eleanor behind. As such, she follows along, hoping her initial apprehensions to be wrong.

Name: Leo of the Sharp Mind
Species: Antlion
Capabilities:
-He is a master at building traps and other small-to-medium tools and machines if given enough time and materials, and even help on bigger things(by that I mean stuff like mini catapults, the occasional siege tower. Small, not super mechanical stuff, unless[or even then, with, if he so wishes] I have the GM’s blessing in doing so.)
-He has good aim with his main weapon of choice, the crossbow.
Appearance: He is bipedal, though even his legs can be used dexterously like hands. On his face is a pair of mandibles. He’s often covered in some dirt, and usually has bits and bobs of wood and other building materials peeking out from behind his ‘shell,’ under which he stores most of his materials and crossbow bolts in their quiver.
Bio: Leo was always a creative kid, and his parents decided to foster this interest. They got him as much material as they could surrounding building of things of all shapes and sizes, from large buildings to small trinkets. Once he became old enough to travel on his own, he set out to find himself a way and place to work his craft.
On his way there, though, he met a pair of oddly charming girls setting out to explore the world, and, after talking to them for a while, decided to join them in this quest. He would use his abilities to make traps for their enemies to fall into, or create the odd weapon for them to use, and would bond with these two.
Once the Emperor fell, he was quick to join into Eleanor’s quest, due to having picked up on the girls’ sense for adventure, however he too still held some reservations deep down, fearing they might be getting in way over their head.

semi-unrelated to my characters, but two little notes:
One: I assume ‘doodlebug’ would be a really offensive term to an antlion, so just in case you wanted to know or use it to offend Leo
Two: You really missed the ability to make your Monarch a butterfly. Would’ve been the perfect pun)

1 Like

Question: have any of you ever watched “bug fight” videos on YouTube before?
I have, and it’s actually pretty compelling. Basically two (or more) bugs are pitted against each-other, usually in a terrarium that acts as an Arena or professionally “filmed on the wild”, which really is just a large set piece for the bugs to fight on. Either way, the fights are very interesting. In fact there is also a televised professional insect gladiator tournament in Japan. (The idea for one of my planned characters was that the “human” would be their owner/manager and that the character was a professional bug fighter. But I could probably rework the concept so that it would still work with another bug in place of a human.)

Anyways, I’m bringing this up because it can help players visualize the outcome of certain matchups ahead of time, as well as possibly give inspiration for new characters.
There are multiple providers of these bug fights, but these are my top picks that arguably have the highest quality:

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCQ9BA1DUfMvNepNz12Kv3dA/feed

However as a warning, the last channel has some pretty broken English. But it’s still understandable if you pay close enough attention.

If you want to see a specific matchup, just search “X vs Y” on YouTube and you should get a bunch of different results.

You have a friend request from inspector Lilth

1 Like

Aye, but shields that can break. Ladybug carapaces are not exactly known for their resilience, and- wait, in what way is she using them as shields? twisting them around in front of her?[quote=“Runa, post:223, topic:49830”]
except during combat
[/quote]

Uhh[quote=“Runa, post:223, topic:49830”]
Can create a bright flash of light from her abdomen every so often(once every 20 turns max), or a dull glow that can be used for lighting
[/quote]

I’m kind of iffy on this.

While it is a really cool and unique ability that would give her an edge over her general lack of capabilities compared to most, this is only ever displayed to great effect in male fireflies.

I’ll just need a little convincing, is all.[quote=“Runa, post:223, topic:49830”]
and underneath the ‘shell’ (I don’t know what else to call it) on his back.
[/quote]

…Is what? What’s underneath the ‘shell’ on his back?[quote=“Runa, post:223, topic:49830”]
bits and bobs of wood and other building materials peeking out from behind his ‘shell,’ under which he stores most of his materials and crossbow bolts in their quiver.
[/quote]

Oh, okay. Weird sentence pacing there.[quote=“Runa, post:223, topic:49830”]
Leo of the Sharp Mind
[/quote]

Approved. Once you get the other two approved you might get a call from the Fable Knights.[quote=“Mctoran, post:224, topic:49830”]
Question: have any of you ever watched “bug fight” videos on YouTube before?
[/quote]

I have for necessary research for a different project. However I think they’re rather forced, very dramatized, and rather ridiculous in their overall presentation and delivery. You’re about as well eyeballing the outcome than watching channels like those.

However, what research they provide does’t actually matter in the slightest to this RP. Fisticuff outcomes revolve entirely around player skill and the profile they’ve created, not the real-world equivalent. Holi’s Sopter would be able to beat Emperor Yuburu not because the real-world Sea Scorpion is massive, but because Holi’s Sopter is massive. If Wei Mu and Vachy took each other on, it’s entirely possible that Vachy could win if Vladin is good enough of a player.

So if anyone loses a fight that some other insect won on Monster Bug Wars and tries to use it to defend their position, I am going to laugh at you. I think we crossed over the line of realistic and predictable outcomes when they could stand bipedal, rule a monarchy, and make terrible life choices.

3 Likes