Empire of Insects (signups)

Accident

Ah

Name: Klikke
Species: Pyrophorus nyctophanus (fire-bearing night-shiner) aka Headlight Beetle or Carbunco
Capabilities:
Klikke can fly rather well and for a decent amount of time but Klikke lacks maneuverability and can’t swerve directions like other insects such as dragonflies.
Klikke can also scale walls for a limited amount of time.
He has two glowing spots on his back that when looked into, alllows Klikke to convey thoughts, messages, or emotions telepathically to those who see them. This ability stays in effect until his victims go out of his range which is 40 meters.The strength and effectiveness of his ability depends on how bright his lights are when they were looked into. A brighter light tires Klikke out though. His ability formerly allowed him to allure or tempt less intelligent fellow insects or Millipeds but over time due to not using this part of his ability, it’s since then faded and can’t be used anymore.
Appearance: Klikke looks like a rather small dark brown Elateridae (Click Beetle) with two yellow-green dots on his back. He often wears a cloak made up of condensed leaves. While being able to walk bipedally, it is often very hard for Klikke so he usually walks on his hind 4 legs.
Bio: A slave set to work as a farmhand and do menial physical labor. He secretly used his ability to hunt other insects or Millipeds until his cannibalistic nature was discovered by his owner and they made a deal. He was set to a different job of helping to attract and capture Millipeds with his ability while his owner agreed to keep his secret. This continued until abusive ownership of Millipeds was abolished and he was set free as his abilities ceased being useful. Though his owner quietly tipped off officials of canibalism possibly being a reason for the murders of his victims. After years of not using his ability and having reformed from his original nature, Klikke lives by himself at an edge of the Great Forest and harvests decaying growth to eat and sell.

im prolly not gonna be too active but I wanna make a character becuase this rp looks really kino

4 Likes

Name: Bob
Species: yellow flat foot fly
Capabilities: Flight, good eyesight
Appearance:

Bio:
Bob doesn’t do much, he looks for food, scavenges homes and eats, however he had to leave the home he lived in after the death of the emperor as to celebrate with his friend’s

Name: Dave
Species: Green Bottled Fly
Capabilities: Flight, large eyes, attracted to smells
Appearance:
Bio: Bob, Steve and Dave were best friends, they never liked the emperor and flew out when he died, celebrating joyously

Name: Steve
Species: Blue bottle fly
Capabilities: Flight, large eyes, super strength
Appearance:

Bio:
Steve is Harvey’s most loyal minion, he follows him like a god and is especially loyal

Name: Harvey
Species: Housefly
Capabilities: Flight, large eyes, leads flies, his only weakness is a fly swatter
Appearance:

Bio:
Harvey is Dave, Steve and Bob’s ringleader, due to his position of power, they call him The Lord Of The Flies, he never liked how the empire treated flies and rose against them

@Ghid

It’s worth a shot

Name:
Sopter
Species:
Megalograptus

(Credit: Gradly P. Brown)
Capabilities:
Sopter is an incredible swimmer,but is slow on land, along with having to shed his exoskeleton when it’s either damaged or when he outgrows it. He has several spines on his two larger arms that help with feeling his surroundings along with incredible senses of smell and hearing, but his eyesight is lacking being almost blind. along with a clawed tail that is good for grabbing things and helping swimming (due to this he can’t use it while swimming)
Appearance:
Sopter is a large being roughly 1’ 4" long with a grey exoskeleton, and brown skin underneath. His eyes, tail claw, and front limbs are seafoam however
Bio:
Sopter is an ancient being of honor, having appeared from a far off land via the sea where he slowly began building influence within the king’s court. Once he had a comfy position as an advisor he ceased his climbing, most assume that it was due to him knowing his place however those close to him may get the feeling that he’s quite familiar with this path and where it may lead. Though with the king’s recent death he’s grown reclusive from the other members of the court, trying to solidify his powerbase in case the next king topples it from under him

2 Likes

Name: Evelyn

Species:Deinacrida heteracantha (Little Barrier giant wētā)

Capabilities: powerful mandibles for C R O N C H T I M E, even more powerful legs for leaping or kicking, short antennae for surveying the terrain. Evelyn also carries a chipped execution sword. And like all Wetas if she was to die her body will effectively become a time bomb provided that the weather is hot

Appearance:

Bio: Evelyn like all Wetas lives a nomadic lifestyle travelling from place to place searching for work. Over this time she found that the life of a bruiser or terminator style assassin (if you’ll pardon the reference) suited her greatly. Her sword proved to be quite effective at dispatching targets even if a spike had to be bolted on to allow for easier chitin piercing capabilities. Ever since old emps kicked the bucket she’s been making her way to the Capitol to search for work opportunities.

I’ll sign up my own “crustacean”, one which will probably be more balanced on the size scale.

Name: Dralthod

Species Triop (Tadpole Shrimp)

Capabilities:
Tadpole Shrimps are quite an interesting species. Despite their relatively short lifespan, they are considered to be “Living Fossiles”, as their dried eggs could be centuries old before they are exposed to water and hatched, remaining viable all that time. And even after 300 million years of their species’ existence(older than the T-Rex), they have remained unaffected by evolution and appear largely the same as they did back then, very ancient in appearance.
Dralthod, being a crustacean, can fully function both on land and underwater. But he can’t remain dry for too long, or else he will become weakened and eventually die. Dralthod’s shell is very durable, and he is a fast swimmer and a good burrower.
An interesting detail about their diet is that Triops have quite the taste for Mosquito larvae and eggs.

Appearance:

One interesting thing to note is that Dralthod is not bipedal like most other bugs, because his prehistoric species hasn’t yet evolved to that point. And so he looks and poses exactly like in the picture.
Bio:
In Grales’ prehistoric times, the land was once dominated by the Triops. They were a dominant species, thriving off the large body of fresh water that submerged the land. However, the Triops began rapidly declining when they experienced a drought that dried up the lake, shrinking their territory and population down to a smaller and smaller scale. Eventually, they became extinct, and the dried eggs of unborn Triops were soon buried beneath the sand and soil, forgotten by time…

Until one day, not too long ago. The waters from the once-massive lake that had now become a swamp had reached the ancient eggs, awakening the long-dormant Triops. They began swarming through the swamp’s waters, and trying to accustom themselves to the new environment. Despite some difficulties, they easily found a food source in the thriving mosquito population in the area. The hungry Triops relentlessly fed upon mosquito larvae, and are believed to be the primary cause of The Blood Pact’s decline.

Dralthod, a living relic, is finding some trouble in adjusting to the modern world. He is practically a dinosaur, and so his mind, body and etiquette is not as developed as other beings. But despite his primativity, he can still understand and communicate with others.
It also does not help matters that he and his species is facing persecution by The Blood Queen for revenge, either. And so Dralthod is now living life in paranoia, weary of The Blood Pact and anyone associated with them.

Name: Okiri

Species: Lucanidae (Rainbow Stag Beetle)

Capablitites:

Light Manipulation

He is able to turn invisible by manipulating light reflections on his shell. However, he cannot maintain fully invisible whilst moving and as a result will cause the surrounding area to shimmer like a heat haze.

Large Build

Like most of his species Okiri is large and muscular individual, he is capable of lifting heavy objects and delivering powerful strikes. Consequently he moves at a slow pace and requires a great deal of food to sustain himself (Tree sap is his personal favourite).

Swordsman

In Combat Okiri wields a two handed sword (his career as a mercenary has consequently gifted him a great deal of proficiency with said sword.)

Appearance:

Bio: Okiri has an always will be a Mercenary, as far as he’s concerned no job is to great… for a price of course. Prior to the Emperor’s assassination Okiri was a caravan guard, hired to protect those passing the across the Pilgrim’s road, as a result he spent most of his time (when he wasn’t fighting) chatting with his clients about their lives. However, after the assassination of the Emperor, Okiri noticed that fewer people would travel to the Capital (deeming it “Unsafe” or “Turbulent”). Infuriated by the loss of income Okiri has sought to travel to the Capitol, where he will seek his fortune instead (and possibly claim some payback).

Due to his occupation Okiri is primarily motivated by money (and the things it can buy), this can sometimes land him in arguments with other people especially those who try to separate him from his money. Besides an unhealthy appetite for wealth Okiri is a surprisingly friendly individual and often seeks to befriend most people he meets. Whilst he never loved Emperor Hoshu he thoroughly respects Yuburu for stepping up despite his inexperience and young age.

5 Likes

Which, by the way, I’m going to assume requires some level of restraint to pull off.[quote=“Mctoran, post:17, topic:49830”]
What if a size restriction was put in place to better regulate crustaceans? Like “No Crustaceans larger then your palm” or something like that?
[/quote]

Then we’d have about two or three playable crustaceans. Nobody wants to play a shrimp on dirt.[quote=“Mctoran, post:7, topic:49830”]
The Blood Pact.
[/quote]

This seems more acceptable. [quote=“Mctoran, post:7, topic:49830”]
The Blood Queen
[/quote]

Approved.[quote=“Toa_Vladin, post:18, topic:49830”]
Would a firebug work?
[/quote]

It depends on what you want the firebug to be capable of. I hope you’re not using the Wikipedia article as a basis for what you had in mind.[quote=“TheMOCingbird, post:19, topic:49830”]
How humanized are the insects? Do they were clothing, or at least something like clothes, like capes and stuff?
[/quote]

While McToran’s characters do not, the Weaver is a soon-to-be character which serves primarily as a spinster, so I imagine it’s more ceremonial/functional than it is decency.[quote=“TheMOCingbird, post:19, topic:49830”]
Do they use handheld tools/weapons? Do they have stuff like books and paper?
[/quote]

Yes, and uh… Sure? I don’t see why they couldn’t.[quote=“L.O.S.S-KAL, post:20, topic:49830, full:true”]
Also what tech level?
[/quote]

Given the setting thus far, I’m going to assume late middle ages level of general technology mixed from multiple different cultures. Minus the gunpowder, of course.

I’m gonna go ahead and say no. Both require extremely isolated locations to be playable, and that’s no fun for anyone.[quote=“Mctoran, post:21, topic:49830”]
And then there’s also mollusks(snails and slugs)
[/quote]

It’s a possibility. Except a slug is just a homeless snail, so who would bother? and while a snail shell is tough, it’s no match for a few insects picking it up and dropping it in the water. So having a tank character that… Can do literally nothing else worthwhile seems really irrelevant. You have a slow and costly character than can retreat into an incredibly resilient shell until its attackers get bored.

Seems a but unnecessary IMO, but if someone really wants to…[quote=“Mctoran, post:21, topic:49830”]
And, this may be pushing things, but what about miniature amphibians and reptiles?
[/quote]

No.[quote=“Mctoran, post:21, topic:49830”]
You said that hivemind insects are not allowed, but is it because of the large numbers? If that’s so, then could we still sign up singular antisocial insects in the Hymenoptera order?
[/quote]

For that reason, and for the incredibly pathetic status of an ant in the setting of the RP. You tried to pad that aspect out with your original character, but martial arts for a toothpick will buy a few extra seconds before it’s snapped in half by basically anything else.[quote=“Mctoran, post:21, topic:49830”]
And speaking of which, can extinct bugs still be signed up as well?
[/quote]

Uh… It depends.[quote=“Mctoran, post:21, topic:49830”]
I had a slight idea for potentially creating a cyborg spy beetle as a character:
[/quote]

Ahahaahahhahaah.
Nah fam. There are farms, a dreaded forest, and a ruling dynasty.[quote=“_el, post:25, topic:49830”]
until his cannibalistic nature was discovered by his owner
[/quote]

Oh so he’s a cannibal?

His abusive master was very generous not to report him to authorities[quote=“_el, post:25, topic:49830”]
His ability formerly allowed him to allure or tempt less intelligent fellow insects or Millipeds but over time due to not using this part of his ability, it’s since then faded and can’t be used anymore.
[/quote]

Then… Why is it mentioned at all?[quote=“TheOnlyGuyWhoLikesMistika, post:26, topic:49830”]
however he had to leave the home he lived in after the death of the emperor
[/quote]

I’d kinda like a reason for this. Otherwise it’s meaningless coincidence.[quote=“Holi, post:27, topic:49830”]
Megalograptus
[/quote]

You are absolutely insane. Let’s take a look.[quote=“Holi, post:27, topic:49830”]
Sopter is a large being (for the sake of game balance I’m not sure what would be fair)
[/quote]
:gregf:[quote=“Holi, post:27, topic:49830”]
Sopter is an ancient being of honor, having appeared from a far off land via the sea where he slowly began building influence within the king’s court. Once he had a comfy position as an advisor he ceased his climbing, most assume that it was due to him knowing his place however those close to him may get the feeling that he’s quite familiar with this path and where it may lead. Though with the king’s recent death he’s grown reclusive from the other members of the court, trying to solidify his powerbase in case the next king topples it from under him
[/quote]

This part’s good[quote=“Holi, post:27, topic:49830”]
These spines are also tipped with a paralyzing agent that acts fast, but not long
[/quote]

With how big this guy’s gonna be at bare minimum, I’m gonna say that’s a no.

You’re gonna need to pick a size.[quote=“Mctoran, post:29, topic:49830”]
Species Triop (Tadpole Shrimp)
[/quote]

No, sorry. That’s landlocked to water.[quote=“Bramsley, post:30, topic:49830”]
Okiri
[/quote]

Approved.

But given the similarity to the Rhino beetle, which is currently unplayable (but will be as soon as I get a character profile up for the GM one I have[again, sorry, don’t have time]) I’d ask that he not have any posts until that’s gotten up, if the RP starts before I get that out.

Also, really nice profile. No issues here, well done.

4 Likes

Alright, how large do you suggest, as I don’t know the scale of the game world

@Ghid

So, with a compelling bio would you be able to use a mantis shrimp or tiger pistol shrimp that breathes air?

Edited a reason

Because I wanted him to have an excuse to develop an ability later on and I honestly would forget it if I didn’t but include it. Also it explains how he managed to kill his fellow insects and kept it a secret for even an amount of time.

Can we enter a fictional species?
So long as we explain the species well enough to a scientific degree?

Well if we are…

There was this one school project where my class were to “invent” our own insect and I came up with a interesting one, which I called a “Snow Ant” despite it being more related to a fly than an ant.

It was basically a larger albino fly that would hunt termites or ants, and had an appearance akin to that of a queen ant, with its body and wings. It had the appearance like that of an ant to mainly trick its prey, so it would be easier to hunt. Really it was a carnivorous fly that hunted would/could hunt in snowy weather, and would fly in a pattern the mimicked the falling snow. I believe it would take over old termite burrows and nest in them. The snow ant would also have fur, in order to keep it from freezing to death.

Kinda surprised I still remember this project to such detail, it was a middle school project and we also made models of our insects. Which I somewhat remember what that looks like, no idea if it still exists though.

The world is scaled to general bug size, so…

Well, see, 2.5 meters is too big. It appears the smallest size these things ever reached was 4 inches so I’d say probably a maximum size of about 1’4".

Watch me change measurement systems in one post[quote=“TBT_Emerald, post:33, topic:49830”]
So, with a compelling bio would you be able to use a mantis shrimp or tiger pistol shrimp that breathes air?
[/quote]

It’d have to be pretty compelling, especially since both of those are really hard hitters and would pretty much eliminate the Holos on confrontation.[quote=“_el, post:34, topic:49830”]
Because I wanted him to have an excuse to develop an ability later on
[/quote]
That’s gonna have to run by me later on, then. I’m approving what’s been written so far; don’t try and change anything later without screening it with me first.[quote=“_el, post:25, topic:49830”]
Klikke
[/quote]

Approved.[quote=“Jcton, post:35, topic:49830”]
Can we enter a fictional species?
[/quote]

You’ll need a very convincing bio to have that approved. The plethora of available insects is so massive I find it silly to want to invent a completely new species just to have one character of.

If you really want to go for it. But I’ll be reading it with a microscope.

I’ll add the approved characters to the main post in a little bit.

2 Likes

Alright, be prepared for what I write on this invented species. That being said I shall now write all I’ve invented onto a paper(doc) and eventually come back with a unique species.

Edited

Approved.

1 Like

I have two questions,
One: since Sopter is a member of the court would he be privy to any unique details of the world
Two: being easily comparable to arachnids would Sopter face political and social disdain? Or would his threatening size. Be enough to at the very least cause it to be hidden

No, I just wanted to have a link. It seems that there are quite a few of firebugs.

@Ghid
Is uh…is Evelyn approved?