Empire of Insects

Cheviot was just as baffled as the cartographer.
“The young Emperor does know how expensive maintaining a standing army is, right? I wouldn’t dare challenge his wishes, of course, of course. But I do hope he knows what he’s doing.”

The old cicada cackled and leaned towards Cheviot, his limbs trembling as they supported him. “Rumour has it-

He then remembered he was in a professional meeting to discuss matters of state, and straightened himself somewhat sheepishly. “Only the farmers who have nothing to do mention this. But rumours about the emperor’s gold have begun to leak outside the city’s borders, and they range from extravagant to beyond comprehension.”

He had begun leaning in during his sentence, and he pulled himself to the back of his chair. “If Emperor Yuburu wishes to have an army, he’ll need it quick. Not to fight a war, but as a little message, is all.”

Sopter nods, “however rumors are rumors, and there’s one major hurdle that needs to be traversed, and a minor one we can work with as we do. Which is why I’ve summoned you two. Our first major hurdle is how do we pay for it, which is where you come in.” He says, looking at Cheviot.

“Ain’t nothin’ wrong with havin’ a fancy title.”

“The capi-what?” Capri said, not really understanding him.

“Theh capitool? home of theh emperor?”

“The capitol?”

“yehhs thaht!”

“Oooh! It just so happened that I was going there too!”

“If eets noht too mush to ask would yhoo help me find eet, Ihm tryhing too expand mhy mahrket yhoo see.”

“OK…” Capry said, decoding what he was saying. “Tho I don’t think we would go to the same place for that.”

“Thahts fine, I just need to ghet to theh capitool”

“Well follow me.”

“Vehry whell.” Says the flat ribbony thing as it slithers behind him

Turning his head toward the (comparatively) small red beetle Okiri’s expression turns oddly serious as he bows “My name is Okiri little one, though I have also been called the Shimmering Defender!” after bowing he resumes his original posture.

“Soo we ready to head onward?” Inquiries Evelyn

Okiri nods

“Then let’s head out! T’ find stories and riches!”

You heard the Weta everyone!” bellows Okiri as he strides down the road.

Scalthus followed.