Etherine, Self MOC

Hi All! It’s been a while since I posted anything here! Not that I plan to make any grand return to MOCing, much less posting MOCs, but I figured I could share this latests creation. For anyone familiar with what I’ve posted in past, I like to write sci fi world building and short stories. Every now and then, I try to imagine a character from one of my stories as a Bionicle. This character in particular is one I strongly identify with, and can consider akin to my Self MOC.

The poster above was done with adobe photoshop.

Yes, this MOC can balance on one arm!

If you’re curious about backstory of this MOC, I have an unedited 14k word doc on this character’s entire history. However, as even I consider that excessive for a character in a likely destined never to be published world building project, I can offer a hilariously brief overview:

Etherine is a being that was created for the purpose of linking hyper-dimensional space to free a group of imprisoned heroes from their dimensional prison. To do this, she would require power only found in the Unknown Abyss (If you’re familiar with the theory of 10 dimensions, the 10th being infinite possibilities/realities of infinite origins etc, it’s very similar, the primary difference is its ability to occasionally interact with known spacetime creating Abyssal anomalies), and at the same time possess a strong connection to known space time that would allow her to navigate through the Abyss to the desired dimensional space. Upon her creation, Etherine was little more than a neural network of a type of Abyssal energy fused to a powerful focussing gem that allowed her to eventually create and control her own body. Etherine fought along side these heroes for centuries against many foes of incredible power (since I’m trying to keep it short, I’m gonna leave all of them out).
Etherine has power over two primary elements: Shadow Energy (an energy created by the natural deterioration of known space time and the formation of the Abyss), and Abyssal Light (a type of electromagnetic energy that has been corrupted by exposure to the Abyss). Furthermore, her crown holds an Abyssal artifact of incredible power capable of focussing both her elemental energies with significantly greater effect. The limits of this artifact have yet to be discovered, even after being used to reinforce the structural integrity of a planet while crossing hyper-dimensional space.
Etherine’s equipment (only listing what I managed to include in the MOC), aside from her crown include:
-an Abyssal Light sword capable of slowing surrounding light to a crawl much like an illusion,
-a powerful resonance blaster capable of both delivering powerful volleys of energy based attacks and syphoning energy from enemy attacks,
-the Blade of Shadows, a sword that symbiotically links as much shadow energy possible (usually whatever’s within tens of light years) - this energy is exclusively available to the blade an no other attacks, however, has often been enough to annihilate stars. The Balde of Shadows is regarded as the most powerful singular weapon in existence.
(I know a lot of this stuff is OP, but this is the strongest character of my largest world building project I’ve ever made, so of course its gonna be OP! and no, it’s not without logic, I worked out as much of the science as I could!)

About the MOC itself:
I had a lot of fun making this MOC, I went through many versions before becoming satisfied with this one. The previous version was a lot more androgynous designed to look like an empty armor suit, which Etherine used as a body during her early life, but ultimately I wanted a MOC of this character from later in life. This particular version has a few areas of strength and a few areas of weakness I am aware of. Here are the three best things about this MOC in my opinion: the fully custom head and crown. Originally, I was hesitant to use a Rahkshi head on one of my female MOC as it is rather stereotypical, but since it flowed so well with the rest of the MOC, especially the crown, and since it is my first strike, I figure I can let it slide. The fully custom feet. Up until this MOC, very few of my builds have had well made fully custom feet. Usually they’re regular feet with a few extra parts, and maybe mounted on a greebly platform of sorts, or they’re a kit bash from one of the set titans like Icarax (not that that’s bad, I’ve just always wanted a little more). Lastly, I loved building this torso. The pictures don’t really show it too well, but not only does this torso have one abdominal joint, it actually has two. In addition to the easy to see single ball joint abdomen, there is also another double joint (only forward/backward) in the upper abdomen. Everything about this torso worked out so well in my opinion. Though I had used the same two breastplate pieces (unpainted) on another MOC, they were attached in a far less creative way. The overall structure of the torso is is both very human in shape, and retains a great amount of mobility and sturdiness. And I know I said three things, but to list one more, the shoulders/upper arms, I think are incredibly smooth.

That said, there are a few areas that aren’t so great with this MOC. The most notable is the shins. due to the design of the thighs, which I think are totally fine, I wasn’t able to use many custom shin designs. The closest I could get was to double up the piece you can see. Because of this, I had to settle for something of considerably simpler design than I did elsewhere on the MOC. Secondly, there’s a bit of gappiness in one of the forearms. I had to leave it for the sake of mobility. Lastly, the waist is rather thin. I sadly do not know many ways/have the right pieces to armor that kind of joint without sacrificing mobility (if you haven’t picked up already, I really like my MOCs to be able to move!)

Flaws aside, I’d say this is probably one of my best MOCs.

Hope you liked the MOC and Bio, but mostly the MOC.

Please feel free to leave feedback, thanks!

48 Likes

It’s…yes. Amazing job. If I had to complain, I’d say the lower legs are a bit thin.

1 Like

Thank you! yeah, the shins were a bit of a bummer. because of the visorak talon on the outside of her thigh, I wasn’t able to fit any study custom design onto the leg. I thought about trying to armor up the pieces I ended up using, but I wasn’t able to do anything that filled out the legs while retaining mobility and the right aesthetic.

This is an awesome moc. Though the torso could be a tad longer. Anyway, 9.5 out of 10

1 Like

Thank you! Good point about the arms. The forearms were originally part of an earlier version of the MOC that was slightly bigger, and since they fit so well aesthetically in spite of being a bit long, I decided to keep them.

Quick aside, Woohoo! Earned the “Nice Topic” Badge!

2 Likes

Wow, that looks impressive. I like the range of motion this MOC has, and it looks great.

1 Like

Thank you! Mobility is always pretty high on my priorities when MOCing. Personal preference I guess. Just a note on that (and weight balance), the pic of the one handed hand stand actually happened. No stands, strings fingers or photoshop holding the MOC up!

2 Likes

Now that’s A+ MOC making.

2 Likes

Awesome use of parts! I really love the legs and feet! The chest and back are epic and well everything is legitimately well done. I see your use of mostly G1 parts which is really a grand thing to see, especially in this day and age.

1 Like

Thanks! I grew up on g1, so not only is there always the nostalgia around it, it’s also the way I learned to build. I loved learning how to greeble and make complex, visually striking MOCs. When g1 got canceled, I got pretty turned off by hero factory’s pandering to younger audiences, and didn’t really ever pick up ccbs (that said, I was already kinda drifting away from Bionicle, what with stars and the weaker waves before the cancelation). When g2 came about, I bought the sets (to support the series hopefully continuing - rip - and to give ccbs a second chance), and started tinkering with ccbs parts, but it seldom integrated into g1 all that well due to texture clashes and too much shiny. So, having limited ccbs parts, I opted for integration where it naturally fit into g1, rather than making primarily hf/g2 MOCs. This might be getting into cranky grandma’s “back in my day” territory of talk, but these days I get there can be high quality ccbs MOCs, but I can barely distinguish them from lesser quality ones since they all look like simple, hollow, shiny - or glowy - tin cans to me (ccbs fans out there try not to get triggered lol, no offense meant)

3 Likes

I Fully understand and completely agree! I thought I was alone on this one until now haha. Good to know there are others out there that know how I feel about G1. I never found much depth or intricacy to G2 builds. (Also no offense to G2 fans)

2 Likes

Yes!! Earned Good topic badge!

2 Likes

Looks like a straight-up canon G1 design, it looks fantastic! Nice work!

2 Likes

Great to see you’re still online, I don’t think I’ve seen you since Project Legacy (I haven’t been all too active online…:pensive:), I heard that didn’t work out, unfortunately. Thanks so much for the feedback!

1 Like

This MOC is Awsome!!!:+1:

1 Like

I like this a lot.

1 Like

None taken. I’m a G1 fan, but I find some good use of some CCBS parts.

2 Likes

I’d say the lower legs are a bit thin, but otherwise it’s pretty great.

1 Like