Evangelion

I know I can’t be the only one whose watched this mind screw of a mecha series before.

Tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down

7 Likes

No you are not. It’s a good show, but got weird at times.

I’m a fan of it. One of the only animes I watch.

Hyped for 4.44.

One of my favourites. I’m trying to have my friends watch the show, so I could watch End of Evangelion with them. It felt so much like 2001: A space odyssey, making it an instant favourite.

I’ve been thinking about watching this. For someone who’s seen very little anime, would this be a good one to start on?

1 Like

Not really the best anime to start but definitely a must-watch. The characters are depressing and off-putting → not for kids.
The best animes to watch first are e.g. Gurren Lagann, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop and Fullmetal Alchemist. (FMA: Brotherhood looks way better, but you can’t really watch the original after Brotherhood. The original has also the cheesier opening songs to back it up :smile:) Space Dandy is also a good pick. All of these animes have great English dub, actually I recommend the dub over sub (I haven’t watched FMA in English myself, so don’t take my word for the quality of the dub. I’ve tried both sub and dub on the others.)
Also, Evangelion is a deconstruction of the mecha genre. If you have watched mecha series before Eva, it makes the experience better. The only mecha series I had seen before watching Eva was Gurren Lagann and still enjoyed Eva a whole lot, so it’s not really a nescessity.

2 Likes

Thanks! I will watch some of those others beforehand.

1 Like

You guys, It’s happening: Evangelion is getting a blu-ray release! Next year’s gonna be soo great: Tsukimonogatari airs on New Year’s Eve, Star Wars Episode VII next Christmas, and did you know Bionicle comes out next January? I’m so hyped for all of these, I need psychiatric assistance.

1 Like

I’ve watched the Rebuild movies (so far 1.11 and 2.22). I wish I saw the original series though.

I made my own Eva unit: Eva unit - MW01 by ChaoticTempleKnight on DeviantArt

I forced my friends to watch End for the first time with me. It was an interesting night…

One guy saw the show, but didn’t understand what was going on. Another also had no idea what was going on but was distracted by the nudity? And the last friend hates anime.

They all hate me now.

4 Likes

Mission accomplished! That’s exactly the outcome you want from forcing people to watch End Of Evangelion. I can’t imagine how confusing it would be to watch it before the TV series.

Has anyone else been watching the Japan Animator Expo short films? There’s a few Evangelion shorts there. :wink:

I recommend watching the original series, due to all the nods to it in the Rebuilds.

hey cool an nge topic
definitely in my top three fav animes

A few days ago I finished watching Evangelion and The End of Evangelion.

My brain hurts.

@Omega_Tahu got me into this.

I watched the original series, rebuild movie and started reading this which I found the first 18 chapters online. I might try to find more (aka buy them off Amazon.) It seems intresting

1 Like

Ime a fan of anime espescialy ones frome trigger and such also I’ve been
Meaning to watch evangelian for a while now and I think I can handle this mind screw because i prefer anime that make you’re brain hurt because you have to use ur Brain and think twice also I don’t know the words but I know the tune of the opining theme by hart.

Update: I read the manga a couple monthes back.

It’s a nice manga. It fills up some plot holes and it’s a good read.

So I would’ve wrote in the anime discussion topic, but unsurprisingly I was the last one to write there, soo I’m gonna write in this dead topic. I decided to finally watch Neon Genesis Evangelion (the original show, not the movies), and I finished it last night.

To make things clear, I knew this show is well loved and pretty influential in how it impacted anime as a medium and industry, but is also known for being very controversial in its themes and especially its ending. That being said, I didn’t I’d be this inclined to rant because my head feels like it might explode.

My overall thoughts are honestly so hard to pinpoint because I think this show is in some ways very well written but in other ways kind of bad. I think the main characters all nuanced and interesting but also easy to loath given their personalities. The themes that the show delves into include accepting one’s self and being in touch with reality. Which I think are for the most part well handled. However, the problem I have is the way a lot of it is presented. So much lore and world building is talked about but not fully explained for a while, and then it’s almost completely thrown out. There’s a big change this show has around episode 16 where it becomes more bizarre and more introspective on the characters emotions. I like part of this change because it gives the characters more depth, but it also is frustrating because a lot of what happened before is forgotten or explained in a way that is more confusing than necessary. Once it got to the finale, I lowkey wondered if I’d wasted my time because it felt like there were more questions than answers. I got “the point” of the ending, it thematically made sense, but it all feels like a jumbled mess.

I really don’t know if I’d recommend the show, there were genuinely great things about it, but it also had a lot of nonsense thrown in and now my head hurts.

I get why people love this series but I just feel ugh right now about it. Thoughts?