Families and Elements in Brickonicle [Worldbuilding] [Pitch]

Skin color in humans is not the same as the mystical power over the elements expressed by Matoran. Having two elements seems too powerful, and having no elements is a bit lackluster. I still stand by 50/50 chance.

1 Like

Not to mention that the Toa are the only Matoran without elemental powers in G3’s canon.

1 Like

The skin thing was an extreme example to show a point. I don’t like the 50/50 percent chance because it takes away interesting possibilities for story building.

Like what?

Like this.

Yes, the matoran of G3 reproduce naturally in a similar way to normal humans. And yes, mixed elemental babies are a thing (kind of).

We actually already have an official explanation for this, that I suppose we just never addressed on the podcast.

Affinity to elemental powers is directly tied to the region you belong to as the elements are the embodiment of the connection between individuals and their respective elemental god.

For instance, a Mangain civilian will have a stronger control of fire if he is in the region of Mangai, as that is where the element thrives. However if he leaves the region, his connection to Ikir lessons, and so does his control over his fire powers. The farther away he travels from Mangai, the less power he will have.

With this in mind, you can have mixed elemental babies in our world. However, the element that they will have control over will depend on which region they are in when they are conceived.

If a Mangain and a Nahoin have a child, and that child is made in the region of Naho, then that offspring will be able to control water. If the two parents decide they want to live together as a family unit, then the Mangain could choose to live with his Nahoin family in Naho at the cost of a reduction in his elemental powers.

Being born with more than one element is not possible.

4 Likes

Let me pitch something for that concept: Let’s take the example of the Mangaia-Nahoin child and deviate. What if the child could use both elements at a proportionally weaker level than either a Mangaian or Nahoin (instead of having half the power of each element, let’s say 40% the power of each)? To this end, the child would be able to control fire in Mangai but would lose this control when entering Naho, and vice versa.

In the hypothetical instance that a child like this were grow up and be chosen as a Toa, the child could have to choose one element over the other, but very small influences from the other would be integrated.

On a spiritual level there would be some connection with this matoran and both Gods, however this connection would not be able to manifest itself through elemental control.

The matoran would only have one dominate element and that element is whichever one they were in proximity to first.

I wouldn’t completely rule out the possibility of maybe having a matoran who could theoretically control both elements but it would be an exceedingly rare trait that I dont think we’d ever introduce in this story, so as of right now I’m going to say: No, but never say never.

5 Likes

Time to think out a ptich for this.

NYEH HEH HEH.

It would be cool to be something like this:
Fire Matoran/Toa + Lighting Matoran/Toa = a number of babies
Baby 1 = Fire
Baby 2 = Lighting
Baby 3 = Fire