Fishy (Fish and Marine Animals) Topic

I like seeing Sea Lions near the Oregon coastline.

They like to get on platforms and sometimes I go to the docks to see them close by. They seem to like going on platforms to absorb the sun and sometimes they fight by yelling at each other and some of them get off.

2 Likes

They are fun that way. Unless they are aggressive and fight the little guys. Then I feel bad for the little guys.
At the place that one got close to me, the small ones also come up to the rocky areas where people can go because they get chased off the other rocks and now they have become desensitized to being around people.

Though they had (and still might have) a bad rep, stingrays are actually pretty dank. They can swim upwards of up to 30 mph underwater, have only one defensive spike for their entire lives, and are actually quite friendly. I remember going to a local sand bank and see one jump on my sister. It was actually kinda fun to watch.

1 Like

Seals are meaner :cry:

Elephant seals are, but as a whole sea lions are notoriously aggressive.

1 Like

iā€™m secretly afraid of like 89% of all marine creatures

6 Likes

I assume that you fear Algae Eaters the most

'cause they eat slime

5 Likes

I donā€™t know how you call this;

I call it ā€˜Chocoā€™ or ā€˜Sepiaā€™

1 Like

How many people knew that the cuttlefish hypnotizes its prey before eating them?

Thatā€™s a cuttlefish, man.

I love salmon, and tuna.

Pistol Shrimp.

3 Likes

Oh, I forgot.
Nautilus.

1 Like

I once had to write a mini story in grade 5 and the characters had to be animals. So I made the story about an Anglerfish. And my teacher was likeā€¦fish arenā€™t animals. And I was likeā€¦okay. But inside I was likeā€¦are you freaking stupid, fish are animals, if they werenā€™t they would either be a plant or a fungus, so tell me what are they?!

Also, you know youā€™re a marine enthusiast when you hear the term ā€œArgonautsā€ you donā€™t think of the football team, you think of the cephalopod

5 Likes

I tend to stay away from the creeps of the deep.

1 Like

There was a picture of an anglerfish in this book I had (I canā€™t remember what it was called), which always gave me the creeps whenever I saw it

Also, @Chronicler, where on the Oregon coastline do you usually see the sea lions

You can find them anywhere on the Oregon coastline, shoot you can find them in Washington and California as well. However, all the ones I have seen have been on the central Oregon coast. They like caves especially.

I was just wondering, because Iā€™ve been to places like Cannon Beach and Newskowin, but I havenā€™t seen that many of them, I have however been in the tide pools at Cannon Beach

Itā€™s probably the slightly colder water. Plus those places are in the northern Oregon coast.

Places like Newport and Lincoln City you may be able to see them.

Short tailed Betta Fish are the best.
Just toss a small cricket in the water and watch a reenactment of Jaws play out.