FPS Discussion/Comparison

Still waiting on Metroid for Wii U’s announcement here… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Marathon Trilogy > Halo & Half-Life > TF2, L4D, & Unreal Tournament
(All are very good, though)

In my opinion, anyway. I’ve heard good things about other games (Metroid Prime, Metal Gear, ect.) and even certain CoD installments, but these six are the only ones I’ve really played enough to judge accurately that I can recall off the top of my head. I mainly look for story more than graphics or gameplay, (partially because my computer has a terrible graphics card) so please don’t get on my case about Marathon’s admittedly pretty simplistic aesthetic.

Also went ahead and changed the topic title, as this is rapidly extending beyond CoD and Halo. First time using my Master powers!

2 Likes

I have always felt CoD to be more like an arcade like shooter, more than a war simulator. For the most part only Black Ops 1 has really drawn me in.

For Halo, I’d say I really love most of them. Halo 1-3 felt pretty fluid when it came to sequels. Only adding a few interesting things into the game, while not stretching too far from the previous title. As for Reach, it felt more like “you’re your own hero” instead of the “you’re playing as this super-human.” which I really liked! Now Halo 4 I felt it was stretched way too far from its origins. The style seemed to do a 90º turn, and felt much more serious than the last iterations. The multiplayer was fun, but just didn’t feel like “Halo” to me.

6 Likes

I think Call of Duty is for the most part decent, personally I’ve been tired of the recent games but Advanced Warfare got me hooked up again. Doubt there will be a CoD game that is greater than CoD4, that was a really great FPS.

Otherwise, I think Killzone 2 is one of my favourites, since it really made me feel like I was actually a soldier thanks to the weighty controls. I also think the enemy design is one of the greatest in the entire history of video games, for those orange eyes are surely menacing…

The Metro series is also great, with survival horror aspect and the fact that ammunition for the most part isn’t very plentiful, forcing the player to be very careful when dealing with enemies. Those game also has some of the best atmospheres that I’ve immersed myself in.

And probably my most favourite one, the Rainbow Six series, especially the older games. Combining exiting and tense shooting with careful and strategic planning has made this series engage me in some of my most memorable shootouts in FPS. You really had to be careful, since even the slightest screwup could ruin the mission.

2 Likes

I can no longer think of that series without thinking of this

7 Likes

I’m an FPS fan, no surprise there.
I have a long list of favourites, but it’s always topped by one: Half-Life.
I’m a big fan of Rainbow Six (And every other Tom Clancy game every, I loved some of his books), Halo, Counter-Strike and many others. I have played many of the CoD games through my life (WaW, MW2, MW3, Blops1, Blops2, Ghosts, AW, 1) and enjoyed most of them but never owned them. I’ll probably buy AW if it goes up on sale or something cheap.

I really enjoyed other non-bigshot FPS games, such as the Marathon trilogy and the ORION games (Yes, yes you can burn me now).

I really hate it when people compare CoD to Halo, they only real thing they share in common is being an FPS, everything really just differs from there. It’s like Minecraft to ROBLOX, you want to compare them but can’t, due to Minecraft being a game and ROBLOX beinga game developing engine, game engine and social service.

That’s how I see FPS games.

5 Likes

Thank you!

4 Likes

Agreed! Halo is a si-fi game where you have to fight aliens. I hate/laugh when people say “CoD is way more realistic than Halo!” No duh sharlock :laughing:

3 Likes

My favorite FPS has to be Farcry 3 or 4. Both are amazing games, and I recommend them to all.

1 Like

Portal 2 counts right? I mean, the “only” difference is that you’re shooting portals and not bullets.

I really prefer non-violent/low violence games though.

5 Likes

I’ve had the most fun with Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Vegas 2. I’ve had plenty of lan parties with only a few of my friends, and once we started fooling off with the game files the fun reached a whole new level: rapid fire super shotgun deathmatch!

Nowadays TF2 is the only FPS I play. I prefer more arcady and innovative shooters such as TF2 and Portal over the more realistic ones.

1 Like

Hmm… I guess I’ve mostly played older FPSes, other than Valve stuff. Yeah, the only “modern” ones I own are L4D2, TF2, Portal/2, and Fistful of Frags (a free, Old West style multiplayer FPS)
Old ones I’ve played/enjoyed/“own” (most are free. Heh): Marathon, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, and basically anything on the Doom Engine. xD Oh and the original Wolfenstein 3D.
Also, this game is underrated (well, I guess since not many have heard of it…)

(It’s Doom engine if you couldn’t tell)

2 Likes

Teeeeeaaaammmm fooooorrrrttteeeessss :smiley:

2 Likes

Team Fortress 2 and Blaster Master are my favorites.
blaaaaaaster maaaaaster

2 Likes

Team Fortress 2 never really grabbed me… I played it for a few games and lost interest quickly.

I can understand that… it’s a very love-or-hate game lol. I just like how weird it is… some parts of it are quite humorous and fun to mess with with friends :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

FPS’s don’t really interests me all too much. The only ones I know for a fact I spent a ton of time playing are Halo and CoD.

Halo’s the only FPS where I care about gameplay and play multiplayer competitively. It’s the only game where I feel in control of whats happening on the battlefield and I’m never questioning what killed me. I’m not dying from cheap tactics, random explosions, or perks that aren’t accessible to everyone. It’s all about strategy and reliance on team-work and map control and that really appeals to me. Halo 4 kind of lost these elements, however I do really appreciate what Halo 4 brought to the table as far as movement and control of your spartan- personally I like sprint, thruster packs, etc. Which is why I’m extremely excited for Halo 5 (that beta was flipping amazing).

CoD… is too random, too casual,and too arcade-y for me to really appreciate. I always feel like its impossible to avoid dying unless I camp corners- which is a BS way to play imo. It’s too easy to get kills, and too easy to get killed- there are never any “battles”, it’s just about who sees who first, and that just doesn’t seem fun. Also balance seems like a foreign concept to that series, there is nothing balanced about it- all just utter chaos.
With that said, it’s pretty fun to play casually with friends or at parties where you’re hyped up on kool-aid.

Other then that… meh. Played BioShock but I’d hardly count that as an actual “FPS”.

Far Cry is fun- love the guns and chaos actually works well in a none multiplayer setting.

10 Likes

I think this is a very good summary of a lot of people’s opinions… :smiley:

Always gotta have that Kool-Aid, eh? :smile:

6 Likes

6 Likes