Funny issues you've faced when MOCing

making decent custom limbs, I look at my M.O.C’s and I notice how bad some of their limb designs are, like my Selfmoc which has been in development hell for almost 2 years as I have had a lack of creativity

1 Like

I know how a lot of this feels. I just recently finished a Bioformer that I could not put a head on because of the torso build. then there is my work stations.

I build from these messes! And there are complete mocs in them (and Gunpla too). Its no wonder why I cant seem to find that one part most of the time.

1 Like

So, I was trying to fit an axle into a pre08 nuva hand, and it was a really tight fit. Then I realized why–the piece was bent. Not broken, just bent.

It’s the second piece I’ve found like that. And they’ve both been dark blue.

1 Like

As I was reminded today…

Coming up with a cool MOC concept or character design, spending days or weeks (or years) ironing out the kinks and polishing the build, only to find out someone else made an almost identical MOC 10 years ago.

1 Like

You’re SOOO right! Just a few days ago I built a MOC with an interesting head design and discovered that someone else built it the same in 2016.

1 Like

When the spikes on your Thornaxxes are falling off.

On my last MOC, I found a Metru thigh armor where the insides were bent a little bit, such that it stuck via friction when I attached it to the forearm. Cue me trying all my other Metru thigh pieces on his other arm to see if they had the same kind of bend (they didn’t.)

1 Like

This is one of the eternal rules of MOCing: a part is always easiest to find when you don’t need it, and vice verca.

@Hawkflight, I can relate. It made it easier on my knees when I started wearing long pants when I built, though. It still destroys my cuticles, though, @Da_Stronk_Destroyer .

My collection of mata hands (mostly from 2001-2003) have finally begun to deteriorate oover the last year or two. It’v not that bad when a black one breaks, because I have tons of them, but when a purple one breaks (I’ve only got… I don’t know, five? They all came from the purple Throwbot) it’s really depressing.

2 Likes

In the case of my 2008 vehicle sets, I just take off the armor/weaponry bit I need and put it back on once I’m done with the MOC.

not with a moc, but i was trying to find a spring that had been lying around for a while and i couldn’t find anywhere to use it, and the second i need it, poof! it’s gone. (btw i was trying to use it to improve a nerf gun)

1 Like

I don’t know how this happened, but the inside of one of my silver Skull Spider masks was completely squashed. The person who did it must have had demonic strength.

1 Like

Well I’ve done that by just stepping on one. I’ve learned not to leave my masks lying around on concrete floors

Haha also one day my Shuricopter set was lying around in my room, and its rotor thing was separated from its blaster. When I tried to connect it back together, I discovered a broken size 2 red axle. Now 3 of my pieces are permanently ruined.

RIP red axle :pensive:

@N01InParticular The mask still works, but the good thing is that if you press the eyestalk on the head it actually flings far.

1 Like

I recently had the problem of partially deconstructing one mostly-finished MOC to finish another, but generally my MOCing issues are less funny and more… uh… “annoying.”

If you need to get a broken axle out of a piece, you can use a heated toothpick to jab it and pull it out.
Adult supervision recommended.

When your pushing two pieces apart, then one off them goes flying

This has happened to me way to much. I’ve been building a leg, I use one of these:
I finished the leg and I then start to make the second, then I can’t find that Armor piece and I spend 45 minutes trying to find it (getting agitated all the while) then I go look on bricklink and find out I got it from
Uxar, who’s only got one!

3 Likes

When I’m making a MOC that requires friction adders, it’s always a struggle to find one that actually is tight because 90% of my friction adders are all loose, very loose, or cracked. This is because of my childhood idiocy; when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade I would use my teeth to pry apart the friction adders :expressionless:

2 Likes

Does anyone else have issues with these peices breaking in either halves or fours?

3 Likes

Personally, no, but I remember there being something about a molding seam halfway over the full bushing.

1 Like

I’ve had a full bushing break, but that was because I smashed it with a blunt object.

4 Likes