G3 Small [SET] [CONCEPT]: Ash Bear Attack

This is just a little one, but I’ve got to shill my Rahi somewhere, hah-hah-hah. Since I was able to view the scripts again, I went and scanned through them again and cobbled together a Tahu approximation from the scene where he fights an Ash Bear/Graalok immediately after becoming a Toa.

EDIT: Current model of the Ash Bear.

First version.

EDIT: Ash-white version, and grey version.

I considered a tree until I decided that I could likely get away with the piece count as it is (95).

The Ash Bear from the Megathread.

Updated Ash Bear, based on the below suggestions.

Now, I still might need to change this again. To summarize the changes, I’ve upped the shade of grey, which I’m actually still happy with in terms of colour, yet looks dark enough to be distinct, and removed the red jaw and extended the red spine (I might need to mix the red in a bit better, as per Sokoda’s suggestion). I’ve thickened the legs in two dimensions; I decided to see if angled plates would be a more…artificial thickening than straight-up 2x2. Let me know if it still looks to need thicker limbs. I’ve also made the paws look more “paw-like”.

One idea that I’m not sure if should be considered is potentially using those “Mini Shooter” or “Power Blast” things that have come out recently. How well do those work, and do they stress the hands of the minifigures? If it could be implemented, then I’d definitely suggest that thy be added to the sets for certain Toa (transparent orange for Tahu, transparent light blue for Kopaka and eventually Voriki, transparent dark blue for Gali, transparent for Lewa, and arguably solid brown for Pohatu) for an additional action feature. But if they put too much stress on the minifig hands, then I’m a bit more reluctant.

Anyways, enjoy. It’s nothing special, just a fun little story snippet. Maybe I should try and make something from Episode 3 next…

22 Likes

The white on white bear makes it hard to properly see its figure on the fly. Also, although I understand the reasoning of using white ash for the bear, I would like to see the bear using grey instead. The white gives it a interesting palette but it makes little sense inside an environment with predominant reds and greys.

2 Likes

This looks pretty good. My only real problem is that the legs feel a bit too thin, however, I know that can’t be helped due to thicker pieces not being available

1 Like

Not necessarily. Thicker in which dimension; sideways, or vertically?

Sideways. I think the legs are certainly long enough

1 Like

I meant, thicker plates, or more plate on the legs when I said vertically (sorry, should have clarified), but I think I see what you mean.

Add some 2x1s on the legs, some 1x1 slope pieces or levers on the legs and change the lighter greys or white to darker shades, it’s a bit hard to see.

1 Like

Yeah, I was working a bit too much off the Mask of Light model. Went with the colour because, “ash” bear and Turahk vibes (though now that I think about it, perhaps that unique colour scheme should be kept to Turahk.)

I like the head design for the bear, as well as the jutting shoulders. The back and the feet I don’t like as much, but I still like this a lot! I legitimately was working on a very similar concept, but was too slow…

1 Like

I think it could help if you would change the colors a bit, I love the red claws, but the red jaw looks a bit weird to me. I think it would look a bit better if the red wasn’t only in some spots, but more mixed into the color sceme as a whole if you get what I mean.

1 Like

Right, I’ve gone and updated the Ash Bear; bottom image in the OP. Thanks for everyone’s suggestions, hopefully this looks better!

1 Like

i love this. The studs really bother me though

1 Like