G3 Spirits and their role in the 3 year plan.

At the time of writing this my poll currently sits with the winner being Okoto for the island, Mata Nui for the spirit. So those are the names I’ll be using when discussing this. Also thank you to everyone who voted in my poll, it was a big help. I will also keep the poll open so those who have not yet had a chance to vote will still have that opportunity.

The two big change to the Great Spirit in my version of G3, is that there is not one, but four great spirits, which are:

• Mata Nui, Spirit of Light
  • Makuta, Spirit of Shadow
  • Artahka, Spirit of Creation
  • Teridax, Spirit of destruction

(Yes in this version Makuta and Teridax are two seperate entities.)

So the four of them created the known world together, before spliting off into two pairs to reside over different islands. Makuta and Mata Nui get Okoto, whereas Teridax and Artahka get another one. The name is unimportant as the 3 year plan never leaves Okoto.

Mata Nui creates the Matoran. Creatures of vast intelligence who love and worship him for his gifts. Makuta created the Rahi, which were powerful, but lacked the mental capacity to worship him, which made Makuta angry.

Eventually, Makuta has the idea to try and use the mask of time to undo his decision and create the Matoran instead of Mata Nui. The spirit of light stops him however, but in the process both become trapped in the spirit world, much like the shadow realm from G2. Makuta now only has power in the darkest spot on the island, and Mata Nui only on the brightest.

Decades pass and year one starts. The brotherhood of Makuta have formed: Matoran from each region led by Ahkmou who worship Makuta as they respect the strength of the Rahi far more than the intelligence of the Matoran. Meeting Makuta in his dark lair, he transforms them into Rahi hybrids known as the Rahkshi. Their task is simple retrieve the Nuva/Elemental symbols from the villages. This is because Makuta wants to channel the mask of time through these elemental symbols so that only elemental creatures, i.e the Matoran, are affected. This leaves his Rahi untouched.

However since he only freezes elemental creatures, the Matoran that become our Toa are left untouched since they don’t have elemental powers. The elemental symbols send out a distress signal, sort of like the Ignika when forming the Toa Mahri, to imbue the spirits of the Toa in these six surviving Matoran. The rest of year one now has both the Toa and the Rahkshi trying to reassemble the mask of time, with the Rahi popping in every now and then to ruin their days. Makuta wants the mask of time to flash forward in time to when the Matoran have been frozen so long they’ve forgotten about Mata Nui, and the Toa need it to unfreeze the Matoran. The Toa succeed and the Rahkshi are turned back into normal Matoran, who are now exiled from their tribes.

Year two has a slower pace than years one or three. There’s no big baddie for the year. It’s a more character focused arc, with the Toa trying to figure out their new place in the world and the Brotherhood trying to win back the approval of Makuta. However they are both trying to find the legendary mask of life, as the village elders think this is the only way to bring the spirits back into the world. But the brotherhood run into a strange figure on their search. It’s Teridax. He and Artahka are wondering why they’ve lost contact with Makuta and Mata Nui. They explain what happens and Teridax sees an opportunity to become the single great spirit. He wipes out the Brotherhood in an attack that only Ahkmou manages to escape, and Teridax goes back to his home island. Meanwhile the Toa find the mask of life and bring back Mata Nui, however Makuta is also able to return.

Year 3 has Teridax in possession of the mask of creation that he stole from Artahka, who was not expecting this sudden betrayal. He uses this to create the Bohrok swarms, creatures of pure destruction capable of razing and entire island. Leading them is Voriki, a servant of Teridax with destructive lightning powers. Teridax orders her to unleash the swarms on Okoto unless the Matoran surrender to his rule. Makuta and Mata Nui, seeing that Teridax now has the power of two spirits, ally themselves with each other to save Okoto from the Bohrok. Mata Nui makes Tahua a Toa of Light and Makuta makes Ahkmou a Toa of Shadow. They join our main Toa team in the fight against the Bohrok, where they also manage to convince Voriki to ally herself with the other Toa instead of Teridax. The nine of them are able to subdue the swarms and Teridax, as well as restore the mask of creation to Artahka, who fixes the parts of Okoto the Bohrok destroyed. Makuta and Mata Nui decide to maintain their alliance in case Teridax ever recovers his power, and the nine Toa are now defending Okoto together.

Well that ended up being a lot longer than expected. Thank you so much if you read through that whole thing, and be sure to give me your honest opinion and suggestions in the comments.

-Eban.

3 Likes

Very interesting take, especially with Voriki. Having Makuta and Teridax be separate entities is interesting, though if the latter’s going to be a counterpart to Artakha I’d prefer the name “Karzahni” to “Teridax”.

Overall, I like it!

1 Like

Here lies my only gripe with this: why didn’t Makuta just make the Rahi smarter if that’s what he was so upset about?

1 Like

@Jakura_Nuva The names of the four spirits are in no way engraved in stone. There more like placeholders at the moment, so your suggestion of Teridax to Karzahni will certainly be considered.

@SirKeksalot Hm. Guess I didn’t think that particular part through too well. I’m open to suggestions from the community to an alternative since this motive may not work for Makuta.

Edited for Double Post - Waj

3 Likes

The actual motive is fine. Jealousy and whatnot can be a valid motive. The problem is that there’s not a given reason for the Rahi to have that limitation. Now, if Makuta created all sapient life on Okoto, but the Matoran worshiped Mata Nui (who serves as a culture hero) instead, then he’d have plenty of reason to be salty.

1 Like

Well, here’s an idea: maybe Makuta blinded himself. Maybe he had the potential to create intelligent species, but saw his initial attempts to be the limit of his abilities, which made him so angry and jealous that he refused to ever try again.

Another theory: maybe Makuta did create intelligent species - the Skakdi, Barraki, etc. But each time he did, his creations abandoned him and refused to worship him as the Matoran did Mata Nui. This left him devastated and enraged.

Yet another theory: maybe creating the ecosystem was all that Makuta was intended to do. But he tried to overcome this boundary and as a result created the most intelligent of Rahi - somebody like Krahka or Keetongu. But the Rahi was afraid of Makuta, who had grown obsessed with his creation (kind of like a Frankenstein situation) and tried to escape. In his frustration, Makuta accidentally kills this Rahi, which pretty much breaks him.

4 Likes

Wow, I really like all of these ideas.

2 Likes

Where Is karzahni in all this? Unless karzahni isn’t really considered a being

I guess you can say that
The matoren was “enligthent”
An the Rakshi was “left in the dark”
I am not sorry

Still I see the possibiliitis of this plotline and I like it. But I think that is needs something…
2nd year being the civil war right?

He is. This is an old post that isn’t canon.