General Disney Live-Action remakes topic

I’m not gonna lie, the first Aladdin trailer had me, the genie was terrible…

This is much better, I’ll watch this.

1 Like

I don’t like the cast for Jafar. He just doesn’t fit the character in my opinion.

Yeah I kinda agree. He doesn’t look that evil to me as the original animated one…

Well I just saw alladin and unlike their other remakes it wasn’t just the original movie in live action. Plus despite the genie being one if the best parts of the original I’m happy with live action they didn’t make this genie a robin williams bootleg like I was worried about.

2 Likes

Well… A new remake just got teased:

What do you think about it?

1 Like

Oh
This might be worth watching.

1 Like

Yeah, that is what I thought. The past few remakes have tried to convince people to come to theaters by triggering nostalgia rather than showing an interesting movie. This one, on the other hand, doesn’t seem to be a nostalgic cash-grab (at least from this teaser), by showing glimpses of the Chinese culture rather than familiar characters. Seriously, I was really surprised that Mushu wasn’t in it.

1 Like

I heard a rumor that they won’t be doing a remake for “I’ll Make A Man Out Of You.”

If that’s true, then my interest in this is as high for the other Disney remakes out right now: 0.

I actually kind of agree here, especially with Lion King.

Eh, it’s just the teaser. I mean, imagine if Mulan wasn’t shown in it, and that would be the Venom teaser right here.

1 Like

I don’t think I said it before, so I’ll say it now.
After watching Doug Walker’s review of the Lion King, I lost all the interest in this franchise.
It’s just an unimaginative, creepy looking pile of trash. It’s a straigh up 1:1 copy of the original.
Disney has this moments in which it just dies. Like, when we will be old we will be like kids in a museum. “What’s that?” “Oh, it’s Disney’s dark age.” “What’s that?” “Oh, it’s Disney’s straight to dvd sequels age.” “And that?” “That is Disney’s live action remakes age.”
But it’s not only that. Disney becomes slowly more and more… I don’t know what any other word to use other than hypocritical. The Lion King already had background drama, and now they try to make it even worse in certain ways. Add it the thing surrounding the Little Mermaid remake and the fact that Mulan will not even have “I’ll make a man out of you” (I don’t know, I haven’t watch the trailer) and you get the formula that will make me abandone this franchise.
I love Marry Poppins Returns, and I am still not mentally prepared to watch Christopher Robin, but I am dead serious when I say that we should all stop watching these movies. We need to force Disney to come back on track. We want original stories, not cash-grabs. We need gold, not dirt.

3 Likes

I find it really interesting that whenever a trailer drops for an upcoming Disney remake, excitement is the prevailing sentiment on the internet. But when the movie is released, the majority of internet voices are the ones trashing the movie, calling it “unoriginal” and a “cash-grab”.

It seems to me that people need to reevaluate the value of these movies and their own expectations. The initial signals that the community gives to Disney when a trailer is released are largely positive, but this is not consistent with the movie’s critical reception upon release to theaters. I think that people should realize what these remakes are and stop hyping them up in the time before their box office release. That will send a better message to Disney.

I personally don’t see the value of these movies anymore. In 2016 I did like Pete’s Dragon and thought that The Jungle Book was at least okay, but I haven’t watched any of Disney’s remakes released after that because they didn’t interest me.

You likened the remake to a phase just like the dvd sequel era of Disney, and I think that is pretty accurate. I just hope Disney gets out of this phase soon.

3 Likes

You know what we need? Atlantis the lost empire live action, just Imagine the Leviathan scene

3 Likes

Dude, yes.

I think the issue with live actions and Lion King is a great display of this and this has been brought up with previous Disney live actions, cartoons can exaggerate and show emotion where live action cannot as easily. You can get a bird to emote like Zazu in the original lion king quite well, but a live action bird cannot and is carried purely on the sweet sweet voice of John Oliver.

That’s the main issue I’ve seen, although their more human casted movies are still good but they don’t have the spark and charm of the originals.

1 Like

I have also thought about the same thing. Yeah, that would be something we would actually want to see.

1 Like

That would be a remake I’d love to see; their action adventure movies not based off something else would actually translate really well into live action unlike the “classics.” Treasure planet would also be fun; a little but of Star Wars mixed with POTC

1 Like

As much as I would love to see Disney revisit their action-adventure movies such as Treasure Planet and Atlantis in a remake or something like that, those movies were box office flops, so I think that happening is highly unlikely.

Yeah these Disney remakes feel very… hollow. Lack the direction and heart that made people fall in love with the original animations. Some are definitely better than others, but you really can’t shake off the feeling of “CASH GRAB” every time another one pops out.
This is becoming a poor Hollywood trend for 2019; a lot of IPs are trying to hit the big screen and only a few have really stuck a good landing ( i.e. Detective Pikachu). Like Aladdin, Sonic, Lion King, Cats… bloody heck guys, what happened to taking a risk? Making something new, rather than copy on something successful from the 90s. Successful things that don’t need to be adapted.
And you know what? Disney is really missing out on a huge opportunity to remake animated movies that would actually benefit a live action adaptation. Could you imagine a darker remake of Hunchback of Notre Dame? Or the Black Cauldron?
Though, my rantings aside, I’m tentatively curious for the Mulan remake. Supposedly, it’s following the original “Ballad of Mulan” poem/story rather than Disney’s animated one (Which was apparently not looked fondly upon by the Chinese population). If so, I can forgive a lack of Mushu and “I’ll make a man out of you” for a more culturally faithful story.

Otherwise, I’m not seeing any of these things. The movie industry should remember that 2D animation isn’t archaic, nor necessarily improved upon by making it realistic/live action. It is a medium of its own that can do so much if crafted by the right hands.

1 Like

Obviously what we all wanted most from the Disney-Fox merger…

More remakes are on the way for at least 4 Fox franchises, but to be released on Disney+ instead of in theaters.

In my opinion, this is a very odd selection of franchises to choose on Disney’s part. I take it they are feeling the financial pressure from Dark Pheonix’s poor performance.

I’m not sure that the initial reception to this news will be as positive as for some of Disney’s other projects (The Lion King and Mulan remakes come to mind).

Thoughts?

1 Like

I’m not supporting Disney anymore. From them rejecting a show just because it’s male dominated to female Thor I’m finished. Too much Politics for me. Even the director of black widow fully admitted she doesn’t like superhero movies and it’s just a platform. Let’s not forget them gender and race swapping every single member of the eternals as well.

As if now I want to see dr strange and that’s it.

2 Likes

Yay, two movies from my childhood being remade by DISNEY and sold on their streaming service which is already withholding MCU content, exciting Star Wars content, and Clone Wars’ resurrection from me.

Just as I predicted, I still hate DISNEY.

1 Like

This is one remake I don’t mind them withholding from the general audience. The dogs are kinda scary looking when they’re doing non dog stuff.

2 Likes