General Music Discussion

There was a record store back where I used to live, so I’d browse there often.

Songs I like: Holy Diver(DIO version), When You’re Strange, White Rabbit(Jefferson Airplane), Break On Through< Summertime Sadness, Starry Eyed, Glory and Gore, Killer Queen.

1 Like

I have two and a half days worth of music in my library.

3 Likes

I found a neat little website that lets you create and share a list of your 10 favorite albums. It’s pretty fun to do, though it’s hard to narrow it down, at least for me. :stuck_out_tongue:
http://therockgod.rocks/topAlbums/build

(My list, for what it’s worth: http://therockgod.rocks/topAlbums/build/index.html#/load/-KIZuPXZEtjgRJ5w-KR1 )

2 Likes

Cool, might try this out tomorrow.

1 Like

@John_Smith Great list!

I made one of my own:
http://therockgod.rocks/topAlbums/build/index.html#/load/-KI_ezmA8kO8m4yF1puE

It pretty much summarizes what I listen to these days.

2 Likes

Nice! I thought about Aqualung, but I was limiting myself to one per band and I prefer TAAB. Same situation with Rush and 2112. I especially wanted to put In the Court of the Crimson King on, but, while I love all of it, the first and last tracks are what I listen to the most by far.

Also, that reminds me that I need to listen to Captain Beefheart one of these days. :smiley:

I’m quite proud of my list and I’m sure you guys will be too.
http://therockgod.rocks/topAlbums/build/index.html#/load/-KI_uKHh6x92BqCPx_Op

@John_Smith The site didn’t seem to recognize King Crimson for me. But their debut is another one of my all time favs as well as Rush’s Moving Pictures.

2 Likes

At first, I was trying to do one per band, which is why all the repeats are at the end. However, I decided I really can’t say I like other albums more than those, which is why I ended up going with them.

Best of luck to you. TMR isn’t the most… accessible… album, even from Beefheart :stuck_out_tongue: It’s definitely worth it, though.

@CunningCondor For me, it has all the info for King Crimson, but not the album covers. Strange…

1 Like

Yeah, it doesn’t recognize KC for some reason, though it’ll let you add whatever you want manually. :stuck_out_tongue: Frances the Mute is awesome, btw!

I’ll keep that in mind. Then again, I like “Lizard” by King Crimson, which is not…widely appreciated, so I’m hopeful that I’ll like it. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

http://therockgod.rocks/topAlbums/build/index.html#/load/-KIxBJYtNBBkVlaovlUF

I finished my list.

2 Likes

I can’t be bothered to go through the 450 and counting artists currently in my library to pare down a list of all the ones I’d consider favorites (especially since that’s impossible for me - I have a few definite favorites and the rest just sort of rotate and change depending on my mood) but I’ll list off some stuff I’ve been listening to recently and hopefully that’ll paint a decent enough picture of my taste.

in the past month or so I’ve mainly been listening to Katatonia (one of my definite favorite bands; doom metal / progressive rock), Architects (technical metalcore), Thrice (post-hardcore / alternative), Oathbreaker (crust punk / blackened hardcore), Converge (another all-time favorite; chaotic hardcore / metalcore), Dälek (experimental hip-hop), Nothing (shoegaze / alternative), Chelsea Wolfe (yet another favorite; gothic / experimental), Emma Ruth Rundle (folk / experimental), Marriages (post-rock / alternative), Agalloch (folk metal / black metal), Publicist UK (post-punk / gothic rock), Totem Skin (crust punk / blackened hardcore), Edge of Sanity (progressive death metal), Darkest Hour (melodic death metal), Kvelertak (blackened hardcore), Ştiu Nu Ştiu (shoegaze / experimental), Vektor (progressive thrash metal), Perturbator (synthwave / electronic), Silversun Pickups (alternative / shoegaze), Death Grips (experimental hip-hop), and Kirster Linder (ambient / electronic).

plus some others every now and then, but those are the core group of artists I’ve been focusing on primarily within the past month.

also, while I haven’t been listening to them much lately, I’ve long considered my all-time favorite band to be The Cure. Disintegration is my pick for the pinnacle of humanity’s artistic achievements.

I learned this weekend that scientists did a study on music using rats.

At the end of a few weeks, rats that listened to classical music were able to learn how to navigate a maze in 100 or so seconds from the earlier 300 or so seconds.

However, rats that listened to heavy metal took 1,000 or so seconds to solve the maze at the end of the period :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Shocker…

would you mind citing a source? I’ve seen multiple studies that prove that listening to rock and heavy metal does not have any negative affect on learning or mental capacity in general, so I’d be interested in seeing the data gathered by this one for comparison.

also probably worth noting that human and mice brains are completely different and process things differently, so I’m really not sure what that study was trying to prove.

here’s one article some may find interesting: Science Reveals Something Surprising About Metal Fans and Classical Music Lovers

2 Likes

Given how the sensitivity of the ears of other animals can vary, it’s likely that the metal music was louder, and thus they were irritated by what was most likely being received by their ears as static.

Or maybe they were just too preoccupied headbanging, I dunno.

4 Likes

I would, but I would have to ask my mother. I’ll get back to you on this as she is currently out.

There is another study I could link you to about the effects of music on water, but I’m not sure how similar it would be :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d like to know a study that looks for the effects of something on humans that doesn’t use rats.

This and the rats who listened to 70’s music didn’t solve the maze and instead built a disco ball :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

there have been plenty of studies of human psychology that are done on, well, humans. my point was more to what CunningCondor said about the way they interpret sounds. there are other factors to take into consideration before proclaiming it as some kind of definite proof that metal makes you dumber.

a couple other interesting articles on the topic (complete with cited sources):
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■-child.html

1 Like

I never said that, I just said it was interesting. I myself listen to a few AC/DC and Led Zeppelin tunes.

The study you sourced by telegraph really only wrote about how bright children use it to release stress.

I am dubious about the second article, as the link to the study it cited took me to Club Penguin’s homepage :stuck_out_tongue: However an album about Moby ■■■■ (this censor could use some context) may be interesting, but the book was tedious, and not that good IMO :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I… really don’t know what to say about that ClubPenguin thing. then again, it’s a 9-year-old article so some links are bound to be broken.

here’s an archived version of the original source. it does actually just cite the same study as the first link though.

and yeah, I didn’t mean to insinuate that you said that (just that the study you mentioned seemed to). I just found it interesting as well, especially as both a longtime fan of metal music and someone studying psychology.

1 Like