General "Quirks" Discussion Topic

I have a tendency to see the scientific, logical side of a situation. I also have a habit of correcting people.
My jaw is misaligned. I can’t swing my left leg all the way to the left. I have the worst eyesight of anybody I know.

I have a tendency to try to be as correct as possible, though it frequently causes me to speak like this sentence.
I have an extreme dislike of rap music, unless it’s something like TobyMac or DC Talk.
I truly hate anyone who frequently curses. I mean, why? I have literally destroyed the arguments of such people many times without even getting angry.
I can’t stand textbooks, especially science textbooks, that will lazily explain stuff as essentially “that’s just the way it works”. Like, if that’s the explanation, why take two chapters to say it?
I also hate the writings of Charlotte Mason, who created a lot of homeschooling stuff, and practically created the homeschooling movement. She had some good ideas, many that I agree with, but if you look at her ideas for how much school a kid should do, it’s absurd. I checked, and it would literally be school all day and night, no breaks. Also, I hate her writing style, which is absurdly condescending for someone who purports to be trying help kids.
I sometimes talk to myself, especially when thinking about dialogue in a story, or an action scene.
I too have a habit of correcting people, though not as frequently now due to the social aspect of such actions.
I love sci-fi and fantasy, but hate the oversexualization of characters that has become very frequent in the fantasy genre. I mean, would Tolkien or Lewis or Asimov do that? No! They didn’t do that in any of their writings.
I am not as good at math as people constantly assume, and I do terribly at learning via mastery, because I end up forgetting everything from the start of the semester.
I can imitate some sound effects well, and am easily annoyed by kids’ cringy attempts to do the same.
I sometimes will move my hands and fingers to visualize various movements of characters in my head, though I don’t do that as much anymore.
I have strong opinions on many topics, and can be quite obstinate in my defense of them.
I detest people saying meaningless statements such as “toleration of religious freedom”, when they either don’t abide by the meaning of the statement or unequally enforce it (I could provide examples, but then I’d be flagged. Not examples of people here, but others I’ve met IRL or seen on TV.)

So yes, these are some of my quirks.

1 Like

But Asimov sure loved his wooden romances.

2 Likes

I like bath foam
it’s rather tasty spread on toast, but society generally frowns upon this sort of behavior

2 Likes

I like toast
It adds a really nice texture to the bath, but my hygienic habits often go unapproved

3 Likes

I find that adding a toaster to my bath always makes an evening more interesting.

4 Likes

I love the taste of rubber computers….

oh wow, we’ve got a necroposted old topic. I wonder how much of this still holds true? (note - some of these are quotes from other users that I replied to)

This was probably my explanation for my attention struggles when it comes to something that doesn’t lie in my interest. I do still come up with ideas that stick in my head when I should be working.

I think my misophonia has mellowed out a bit, but it’s still a difficult situation for me to be in a position where someone is in distress and I don’t have a means to help them.

I got diagnosed with proper obsessive compulsive disorder last year. As it turns out, “OCD about cords” is different from “OCD about handwashing” or “OCD about moving something on the ground because if someone trips in it you might be responsible.”

Still use a fair amount of ketchup, but I’m less reliant on it.

Now, instead of an obsession with facial hair, I have facial hair.

Since then I’ve collected a lot more accents I talk to myself with. Various English accents are still common.

Ah yes, the motivational issues that became a major factor for depressive episodes for years after. My present understanding is that they’re caused to an overexposure to dopamine from less productive tasks (aka technological distractions) and that it would help to cut myself off from those habits for a bit. Which I tried last Saturday, and was quite productive for the six hours I kept it up, before I ran out of energy.

Indexed lists have been my friend when it comes to organization. That said, I don’t have a real overall “to-do list” - though I’ve experimented with such. I have lists of deliverables at work, I have text files on my phone and computer, I’ve recently been using YouTube’s watch later for videos that might be useful to me in certain tasks. But there’s a lot of thoughts that I forget about before I’m in a position to act on them.

Still do on occasion, but not to the extent I used to.

I’ve got more outgoing over the years. I’ll go to big social events and make a point to get to know at least one or two people there. But I still have a some division in my head between people who I can get into the details of things I’m interested in and people who I can’t.
(Incidentally, I talk about BIONICLE lore with coworkers maybe once or twice a month.)

Again, something that no longer bothers me as much.

So I guess my anxiety was around at least since 2014, then.

I’m glad to say I’m at a point in my life where I’m no longer forced to write endings.

And now I can play instruments well enough to accompany them!

I was terrible with eye contact at the time. I can handle face to face interaction now. The main difference is the speed of conversation is much faster face to face over text, which is fine if I don’t need to filter myself much, but I will still use text or email in a more serious situation if I need to use words carefully.

again, anxiety. Though I have realized, I spend more time thinking about how I’d respond if the outcome is positive.

It’s since changed to British panel shows.

I probably still do this sometimes, but I don’t remember it.

my perception of love is… more fleshed out, possibly more normal, but it’s still quite confusing.

I still like to look up at the stars, even though I know the stars in suburban environments are not that exciting.

Working a software development job has forced me to commit things even if I don’t feel certain I will finish them (and often complications cause me to fall behind).

My original response was “I think I was two or three years ago”, and while I don’t remember that time super well, I think I was both correct and incorrect in that assessment. That was about when my major depressive disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder were starting to influence my life, and the combination has brought me to situations where I felt quite unstable, but rarely to the point where I actually showed anything.

I still have trouble getting up, but if I have a commitment I can force myself up pretty quickly

Yep, still happens.

I wonder when I lost that sense of self control.

The scars are still there!

Fun fact, psychologists thought this was a warning sign of depression. I didn’t think that was what I was feeling. Probably, it was.

Apparently I broke that habit in 2014, when I was feeling quite happy. It’s since come back.

whatever that was supposed to mean, but I know this was around the time I was questioning whether I was asexual. As it turns out, I was not – I developed a very passionate crush the following year - and currently consider myself demiromantic/demisexual.

Ah, this was back when I thought I was a tenor, not a baritone. I’ve also made some good efforts to stretch my own range.

I didn’t seem to append to this that, during the trauma following that car accident, I would still eat lunch - and, since I was underweight, I would try to eat a big lunch. I’m now in the habit of eating no breakfast, big lunches and small dinners, if anything.

I still beatbox to myself walking around the office building. At a low volume, of course.

3 Likes