Generation 3 Art: Toa, Environments, and Colors [Larger Images]

Hello all!

My name is Matthew Griffith, I’m a freelance artist, wannabe novelist, and bionicle diehard. I’ve been lurking around TTV for years, all the way back since the infamous Biocraft. Now I’m almost twenty, and I’m ready to get some skin in the game. The recent podcast really hooked me on the idea of Bionicle Generation 3, and like any fan… I want to help out!

Here are some doodles that might help flesh out some ideas for G3, respective elements, and environments.

[

She-Toa of Water, breaker of hearts, it’s Gali. This environment is the one I am least sure of. I’ve had ideas ranging from exotic beaches, rain drenched waterfalls, and coral forests. Her colors here are controversial, so I’ll leave it up to guys if you like them.

Here is the can of worms, Kopaka the Toa of… Lightning? That’s right. The good news is it this doesn’t completely change his or his enviorment’s design. Instead of mountains beings elevated for temperature, they can be elevated for optimal static.

Onua the wise, the patient. I fully embrace TTV’s idea for Onua’s powers to be more focused on growth and energy. I tried to reflect this in his envirement, giving him a more cathedral cave, covered in hanging gardens. Onua also manipulates tectonics, controlling all below the surface.

Ok, so it’s not exactly a desert. With Onua mastering the power of vegetation, tectonics, and soil… this opened up Pohatu to steal some of G2 Onuas crystal motifs. Pohatu’s powers enable him to move stone, sand, and non-organic alloys.

The hotheaded Toa of fire didn’t need much change. I considered giving Tahu a primally metallic color, tying his abilities in with molten metal, but alas. Dark blue accents were placed strategically for tribal look.

Last but not least, Lewa (Loo-ah) agile Toa of Air. I’m sorry Eljay, but I love the idea of white and green! With the element of Ice eliminated, this totally works. The maroon/purple accents pull it back into the Jungle motif a bit, without sacrificing the wind look. Teal energy.

I’m a sucker for OG Bionicle, and so the masks and colors are inspired first by Gen. However, I’m not married to that idea. I really wanted to showcase colors and elements here, so everything is HIGHLY experimental.

To the TTV cast: You are a wonderful group of human-beings with contagious personalities, I appreciate all that you do for the Bionicle community, and I am happy that it lives on through you! If you ever need artwork, concepts, or illustrations you can find links in my Bio! Anything I can do!

112 Likes

MY GOSH THESE ARE AMAZING. DUDE THESE ARE AWESOME. And dang, I was just working on mine and you completely blew them out of the water.

@Oomatu You mean the pictures? I don’t exactly know, I think it just matters about the original file size, maybe.
Question, what program did you use to draw these?

1 Like

@JediTimeLord824 Photoshop. I hosted using PostImage with a resolution of about 1600x1000

2 Likes

Nice.

While I disagree with the choice of replacing Ice instead of Stone, these are actually really good, and you could probably just show me this art to let me know who these characters are meant to be.

2 Likes

That’s understandable @SirKeksalot, I’m not totally sold on the elements either. This is just what I’m going with for now to develop distinct visual styles. Later down the road, when the cast gets the element idea sorted out, I’ll probably do another round of drawings.

3 Likes

i find these to be really good, i hope you get a job in LEGO one day, because this is really good.

now here is a question i have though, are you also going to make six enviorment illustrations for the G3 rahkshi?:

3 Likes

I considered this. I’ll probably wait a bit till we get the element and lore nailed down. These Barraki esque ideas are pretty cool though, and I’ll definitely do some doodles when I get the chance.

2 Likes

Holy crap, these are awesome! Like, seriously, these are incredible. I want to save my full opinions for these on the podcast, but this definitely helps a lot of discussion going forward.

I love your designs, and especially love that you’ve kept with the minifigure style! Your backgrounds are exceptionally well done.

If you possibly uploaded your images to Imgur, our software would probably either resize them or actually reupload them to our board, making the thumbnails much bigger. I don’t know if it can fetch from the site you’re using.

9 Likes

I love all of these so much omg
Some of the designs/patterns miiiiight be a bit too complex for minifigs, but then again Ninjago and Chima has some complicated designs.

Tbh I’m like way more impressed with the environments. Pohatu and Gali’s are amazing.

Also welcome to the boards! :smile:

6 Likes

All of these are incredible. I’m awestruck by the amount of culture conveyed through the Toa’s designs and how rich each environment looks.

1 Like

While I still disagree with pretty much all of the element changes the cast have suggested, I can’t complain about the art, it’s perfect for concept art, though in relation to the elements i’m not sold on the color schemes.

1 Like

This art is undeniably amazing, Kopaka as a Toa of lightning? I’m not really sold on it. I feel like it goes against his signage stoic personality, but if there was going to be a lightning Kopaka, this would be it.

1 Like

I’m not in any way excited about the notion of changing Kopaka to be a Toa of Lightning. As for the others, though… wow. This looks fantastic, especially the way you manage to make poses work with the minifigures and the intricate printed designs you added to them. I particularly like Lewa’s look; white and green really does suit him.

I’ll have to look into illustrating my ideas now…

1 Like

On another note, are those supposed to be trans minifig heads? Because that’s genius.

1 Like

WOW, GUYS, SO MUCH FEEDBACK. ARGH.

Let’s do this.

@Jon
Thankyou so much for the quick response. I’ll be sure to upload these to Imgur right away.

@prpldragon
Glad you like these! The patterns are a little complex, but I can work to simplify them in later drafts. More than anything I I’d like each to have distinguishable tribal markings in some form.

@Payinku
Yeah. The elements are TBD, and the colors are a bit out there. I just wanted to try something fresh.

@Matanui606 & @Scorpion_Strike
Lighting Kopaka is an idea I really wrestled with. Ultimately, I’ll leave it up to the cast to decide, this was just proof of concept. And yes, I was thinking trans heads :wink:

2 Likes

Those are some nice bonkle arts, you’ve captured the minifigures and palettes well, Nice!

4 Likes

Bonkle : D

2 Likes

Such a great throwback to brainstalks!!

I will say that this art does prove that it could work aestheticly. If changes were made to his character were made to make his personality fit more with the new element while still maintaining the spirit of his previous versions, I could probably get behind Lightning Kopaka. Not as a change I’m super excited aboit, but definitely one i could accept, similar to how i really hated Lewa’s changr in G2 to jungle, but eventually accepted it as a valid design choice.

2 Likes

I can’t say that I’m completely sold on anyone’s interpretation of which elements or characters to use, but as art? These look awesome. The masks tend to look a bit too round for me (Pohatu’s being the exception), but I love the backgrounds, coloring, and details on the characters.

1 Like