Gideon the Redeemed, Toa of Judgement

The only surviving member of the original Toa Utu, having founded the team with Jethro and Myra. Never acted as the leader of the team, but now serves as a mentor and councilor to the team.

Gideon is a murderer. As a Matoran, he betrayed and killed his village’s guardian Toa in order to claim the victim’s Toa Stone, only to discover that Toa Stones don’t work properly unless they are given freely. Greedy for the power of a Toa and desperate to escape law enforcement, Gideon fled to the kingdom of Het Ruun, a nation well known for their savage competition and unchecked corruption. In his half-Toa form, he became quite the spectacle as a marksman in the Royal Gladiatorial League, frequently toying with opponents with well placed shots before dispatching them with shocking efficiency. Soon other gladiators would refuse to fight him, knowing that he cheated and would leave no survivors if he won.
Gideon came to hate himself as much as his colleagues, but rather than change his lifestyle he joined a group of mercenaries and continued to slaughter and plunder.
On a particularly violent raid, the mercenaries were confronted by a being who called himself ■■■■■■■■■, the Spirit of Order. ■■■■■■■■■ tore through the warriors, killing most of them and crippling the rest. Gideon was the last fighter standing, and begged for death at ■■■■■■■■■’s feet, but the Spirit refused and blinded him instead. ■■■■■■■■■ forcibly recruited Gideon to the side of Order, fusing him with the Helm of Judgement, an artifact that allowed the wearer to sense a being’s moral state. Though blind, Gideon could still interact with sentient beings in this way, but there was a catch. The Helm compelled Gideon to execute those who have been overcome with the evil in their hearts. As long as Gideon lived in Het Ruun, he could not control this new Helm, and eventually was banned from the kingdom for killing so many of their corrupt officials. He came to hate himself even more, for the Helm would not allow him to kill himself despite the darkness of his own heart. Upon his banishment, Gideon met Jethro, another Toa at war with the darkness in his heart as well as in the world. Jethro and his wife Myra were actually hunting Gideon believing him to be an Anti-Toa because of his killing spree in Het Ruun. Gideon and Jethro almost killed each other before Myra intervened, having realized the conflict within the both of them. During their recovery, Gideon and Jethro learned to lean on each other for support, and each vowed to counter the other should one of them stray too far into the darkness.

Gideon is a partial Toa of Stone, his connection to his element corrupted by the nature of his Toa Stone. Rather than full control over Stone, Gideon can only control sand, which he uses to great effect as vision impairment and an intimidation tactic. He carries a powerful elemental energy blaster, preferring to keep his enemies at a distance especially since being blinded. He has gained greater control over the Helm of Judgement’s compulsions, refusing to be governed by pure justice and extending mercy as often as he can. He believes he owes the world as much grace as he received. After serving with Jethro for decades, Gideon found that he could not become a Turaga like his friend. Jethro’s promise to hold Gideon accountable was taken up by Gavin, a Toa of Lightning in the next generation of Toa Utu, and Gideon serves as a mentor figure to the new team.

OK, backstory done. To the MOC itself. I only had access to limited parts this time, mostly pieces from the newer Star Wars construction figures, so I am not especially proud of Gideon. He does have a custom torso and semi custom arms, but the legs are just plain CCBS. Any ideas for how to fill them in(looking at all you CCBS wizards out there) would be appreciated. If not, I will probably just do some custom legs next time I get the chance.

I feel like I unintentionally created a Destiny Warlock vibe, here, which I will continue to push in later versions.

Shot from the front.

Shot from the back.

A note on the story; I do have ideas for the rest of these names mentioned here. I’ll build them eventually!
Thanks for looking!

27 Likes

I may use that gun design some time, if you don’t mind. The MOC looks great. I’m gonna come back at some point and read the story.

2 Likes

Go for it! Haha I don’t know how many of us read all the stories. I mostly write it down for my own benefit!
Thanks for looking!

That foot deign is genius!

1 Like

I don’t remember where I first saw something like it, but I thought it kind of looked like a boot. Thanks for looking!

1 Like

Not a big fan of the head design but i think the rest looks good.

1 Like

Nice story, with a pretty good MOC. Dang I gotta get that praetorian guard

1 Like

@RogueToa Yeah I agree on the head. I found a better design a few hours after I posted this :stuck_out_tongue: I will post and update topic at some point.

@EmperorDuckie Glad you enjoyed the story! The Praetorian Guard pieces are pretty cool!
Looking forward to using the blades from that set also!