Gunpla Discussion Topic

This will be my first model kit, so maybe something less complicated would be nice.

In that case I’d begin with a HG, Gundam Build Fighters has some good beginner-friendly kits.

Also, you’ll need to get some tools for these.

1 Like

I’ve seen what buildable miniatures are like, I’ll need a knife or something sharp to fix errors in the plastic, paints for the model, but what else will I need?

A pair of good hobby cutters will be the most important.

Paints aren’t too critical for most modern HG’s, but I’d still use a panel-lining pen.

1 Like

Where would I find a kit, or are they only able to be ordered?

Some hobby stores exist in the US, but I usually use Amazon.

I think B&N has some, but the prices aren’t great.

1 Like

Which HG model do you think I should try and get?

I’d say it depends on which design you like the most. You should look through a few HG’s on Amazon and see what appeals to you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like the look of HG Barbatos, would you recommend it?

It’s a good kit. Not extremely difficult, either.

1 Like

As soon as I get some cash after pre ordering Halo Wars 2 Ultimate Edition, it’ll be my priority

The HG Barbatos, while a good build, needs a lot of painting to look good. I recommend any of the Zaku Origin kits since the only mandatory stickers/painting are the monoeye and scopes. The revive RX-78-2 and Guncannon are both extremely lax on mandatory painting and stickers (the Guncannon doesn’t need a single one) so I’d also recommend those.

3 Likes

These are amazing kits, but may be a bit too complicated for someone who’s never assembled one.

1 Like

I really want to start building them but doing so is so expensive. You have to buy a bunch of tools and then a cheap kit just so you get some practice. Only after that can you get into the more expensive stuff.

1 Like

Tools are only expensive if you want them to last.

You could buy a pair of cutters and a knife at Walmart for about $10, but they will cut poorly and only survive a couple of kits.

I started out with a $5 cutter and then upgraded to a $35 one because I didn’t want to keep replacing it.

Starting out with cheaper tools is probably a good decision, though :stuck_out_tongue:

Mine were like $5

2 Likes

I kinda just started so I’m still new. Only 1 right now (not counting a custom painted model wip) I’m planning on getting more though since I found I enjoy it.

Waiting for the MG GM Sniper II. Please, be as good as you look.

Well my collections slowly growing; just got star winning yesterday. Also found a store in town so I don’t need to buy off Amazon.

5 Likes

I recently got the Shia Qan [t] for Christmas, and as my first Gundam, it was quite a trek of building. It was a fun experience of trial and error, but finally, after a few hours, the Shia Qan [t] is done, and it is quite impressive, especially with the colors.

1 Like