Harry Potter

Since we don’t have a “Books” category, I’m just putting this in Entertainment. So yeah, talk about this awesome series! Which are your favorite/least favorite books? Did you secretly suspect that Snape was good all along? Was I the only one disappointed that Hermione wound up with Ron instead of Harry? Have you heard about the upcoming Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them movie? Ok, I’ll stop asking questions now. XD

10 Likes

Snape snape snape snape. What can I say about this besides the fact that I FREAKING CALLED IT while I was reading the fourth book, I was talking to my friends, and I came up with this theory. I was so happy to get 50 bucks when Deathly Hallows came out. (We made a bet, and I obviously won.)

Off that topic, I feel like Voldemort’s timeline was never really explained. Because we know that he was looking up dark artsy stuff during his time at Hogwarts, but his his horcrux making and his rise to power are never really put into context. How long was he at large for? When did he even transform? WHO KNOWS?!

(I haven’t done any extensive research into the Harry Potter universe, so forgive my ignorance if this has been answered. =/)

4 Likes

I think the sixth book kind of touched on the Horcrux thing? I think it was implied that he accquired most of them gradually during the time between when he graduated Hogwarts and when he asked Dumbledore for the Defense Against the Dark Arts position (so, during the 40’s and 50’s). We know that it was a gradual process because Nagini was only made a Horcrux after he died (the first time) (I think), which was in 1981. As for the transformation, I’m pretty sure that was a side-effect of being brought back to life.

(extra text so the filter lets me post this)

4 Likes

Ah, this explains a bit. And yeah, the sixth book did kinda look at the horcruxes, but like I said, I lack the knowledge for the rest of this. Thanks for clarifying.

Do you think that he should technically have more horcruxes? because, I know you have to have an intent upon making a horcrux, but that doesn’t explain Harry being a horcrux. If a horcrux needs intent, then was Harry just a freak accident? If not, then why doesn’t Voldie have more horcruxes?

2 Likes

I think Harry was a freak accident, because weird stuff went on (mainly because Voldemort couldn’t predict that Harry’s mom would sacrifice herself out of love). There aren’t more Horcruxes because there was never another situation like that. At least, I think.

3 Likes

I should probably read these books. I hear they’re really good.

Probably when I finish the Inheritance Cycle.

2 Likes

Harryxginny is just…no.

1 Like

Wow, I’m surprised this topic hasn’t gotten more activity. How about a conversation starter: Rank the movies from best to worst! (I’d say rank the books, but that’s really hard for me to do. XD )

My ranking:

1. Goblet of Fire
  2. Chamber of Secrets
  3. Sorcerer’s Stone
  4. Deathly Hallows part 2
  5. Half-Blood Prince
  6. Deathly Hallows part 1
  7. Prisoner of Azkaban
  8. Order of the Phoenix
4 Likes
  1. Prisoner of Azkaban
  2. Half-Blood Prince
  3. Goblet Of Fire
  4. Deathly Hallows p2
  5. Sorcerer’s Stone
  6. Chamber of Secrets
  7. Order Of The Phoenix

Never saw Deathly Hallows Part 1, and my recollection of some of the movies are a bit (or a lot) fuzzy, so take this with a salt shaker.

3 Likes

-1. Prisoner of Azkaban
-2. Goblet of Fire
-3. Deathly Hallows Part 2
-4. Chamber of Secrets
-5. Half-Blood Prince
-6. Order of the Phoenix
-7. Philosopher’s Sorcerer’s Stone
-8. Deathly Hallows Part 1

1 Like

You heathens! /mt May I ask why you both picked that for #1? I had a lot of issues with it, personally.

3 Likes

Admittedly it’s more because I really loved the book. What were your complaints?

1 Like

I think you have your answer.

But anyways, I found the movie more…stylistically directed than the others, and as a result much more interesting and enjoyable to watch, IMO.

2 Likes

I liked the book a lot, but I didn’t think the movie adapted it as well as it should have.

For one thing, I don’t like the color palate at all. Everything has a drab blue/grey tint. I think the vivid colors of the first two movies are much more fitting. PoA (the book) is a little darker than the first two in some ways, but overall it’s still a fun children’s story. I think it was a poor choice to make that figurative darkness literal.

Come to think of it, the whole feel of the movie (not just the colors) is darker than I think it should be. The book was a bit more serious than the first two, but the movie almost feels as if it’s a Gothic horror film rather than a kids’ movie with dark elements.

I also don’t like that the kids are never seen in their Hogwarts uniforms in the whole movie. It takes away a bit of the British-ness of the series.

They never properly explained that the Marauders were all Animagi, that thy studied to become so because Lupin was a werewolf, and the significance of the nicknames. If you watch the later movies without having read the books, it gets really weird when people start calling Sirius “Padfoot” for no apparent reason.

They also mostly omitted the Firebolt subplot. It’s a short movie compared to most of the others, so they definitely had time to include it. Doing so would’ve done a lot more to emphasize the bond between Harry an Sirius than having that scene come almost out of nowhere at the end.

I also dislike that they changed the Hogwarts grounds and Flitwick’s appearance. It creates an annoying discontinuity with the first two movies that really wasn’t necessary.

I could go on, but you get the picture. XD It’s not a bad movie or anything; it just did more to annoy me than most of the others. :stuck_out_tongue:

I dunno. The foreshadowing with the clock tower was good, but I though some of the scene transitions, like the one where the Whomping Willow kills a bird, were kind of pointless. Apart from those and maybe a couple of other things, the direction didn’t really stand out to me.

3 Likes

I liked the drab blue/grey tint…

Hm.

That’s a good point.

2 Likes

I think they went overboard on the color palette in Order Of The Phoenix, but to be honest the color palette of the first two struck me as too bright. This one, I think, favored chiaroscuro more than anything, and seemed like a good balance between the two extremes.

They aren’t? I’m pretty sure they were, but maybe I’m misremembering that.

True.

I guess this one comes down to personal preference, but I really liked stuff like the clock tower and pendulum, the courtyards, and the bridge.

1 Like

Eh, I thought the first two were just about perfect. XD I’ll add that OotP did get ridiculously dark in places, but it wasn’t all the time iirc. Think of the fireworks scene, or Umbridge’s office. PoA has this near-constant drabness that I really don’t like. That being said, I don’t think the dark/drab look really started to be appropriate until Half-Blood Prince.

3 Likes

Agreed. PoA is consistently my least favourite movie (contrary to popular opinion), most likely because of the tone. Though the Time Turner sequence irks me to no end as well.

1 Like

How come? I don’t recall too many issues with it apart from Harry’s patronus not looking like a stag the second “time.”

1 Like

I can’t put my finger on it. Just the entire feel of it doesn’t sit well with me. And the whole idea of looping time travel in HP gives me a major headache (though Rowling did admittedly do a good job of writing the Time Turners out of the story).

All this talk of time turners suddenly reminded me of this piece of comedy gold:

2 Likes