Harry Potter

Well, I’d say you’ve definitely upgraded. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I wanted Ravenclaw in Pottermore too. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I got Hufflepuff which is a lot better than Slytherin. I wanted Gryfindor, but I’m fine with the answer I got

1 Like

Well then. I got Ravenclaw in pottermore and on that site. Cool. I really want to see that Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them. Speaking of which, have you all head of the eight book?? It’s called Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. parts 1 and 2.

Also favorite movies! rated in order!

Sorcerer’s Stone- 2
Chamber of Secrets- 6
Prinsoner of Azkaban- 1
Goblet of Fire- 5
Order of the Pheonix- 4
Half Blood Prince- 3
Parts 1 and 2 of Deathly Hallows- 7 and 8
(keep in mind that these are opinion based.)

2 Likes

Got Hufflepuff again! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Got Hufflepuff. I’ve officially been sorted into every single house.

2 Likes

Yes! Somebody else who doesn’t like PoA isn’t the greatest movie. Personally, there are a I see a lot of things to like about that movie (Sirius, Dementors, Lupin, Hermione punching Malfoy), but I just can’t get into the film. It feels much darker and isn’t nearly as interesting as the other movies to me. Plus, the Time Turner sequence really kinda throws the whole movie for me.

Interesting. I have a soft spot for it since it’s the first HP movie I saw, but it’s not quite as captivating as the later films IMO. I LOVED Tom Riddle’s characterization in it though. Why do you hold it in such high regard?

1 Like

^^^

The dark tone works for the last few movies, but PoA is too sudden a ■■■■■ from the bright, upbeat style of the first two movies. The tone of the book isn’t anywhere near as dark as the movie is.

You know, I like it in concept, and I loved it the first time through, but on repeated viewings a lot of it ends up feeling like wasted time. Time loop stories work best when you don’t show the whole loop both times. XD

3 Likes

Hard for me to list the movies in order since I haven’t seen them recently, but I’d say my three favorite are the Chamber of Secrets, Order of the Phoenix, and Deathly Hallows Part 2.

2 Likes

I agree that it’s a stark ■■■■■, though I honestly don’t remember the tone of the book (gotta re-read it). I find that the dark theme really fits more with Goblet of Fire (especially the graveyard scene at the end). [quote=“John_Smith, post:49, topic:4185”]
but on repeated viewings a lot of it ends up feeling like wasted time.
[/quote]

It was just a major paradoxical headache for me.

Yay! More people who like OotP! Despite how much it cuts out, I really like that movie. Umbridge’s characterization is absolutely marvelous.

3 Likes

Ooh, three new Pottermore ebooks coming out in September

2 Likes

So I wasn’t sure what to think about Fantastic Beasts when it was first announced, but after watching the trailers and hearing they want to make 5 movies, this has gotten me quite hyped. Next to Bionicle and Star Wars, Harry Potter was my everything growing up, and I’m excited to see they want to expand on the universe.

1 Like

5 MOVIES???

Yessssssssss!!! There is hope for me to be able to see a Harry Potter movie in theaters one day!

2 Likes

They recently re-released the “originals” in Imax for about a week; I wouldn’t be surprised if that happens again at some point as well. :smiley:

3 Likes

Whilst I love all the books (far superior to the films), I always feel like Order of the Phoenix is a drag to get through. Took me much longer to read that one compared to the others, it should have been trimmed down by a hundred or so pages. On rereads it gets better each time but I still don’t look forward to it like I do the others whenever I read the series.

Overall I’d rank them:

Deathly Hallows (sue me)
Prisoner of Azkaban (still holds a certain childish charm to it the film (though still fantastic) lacked)
Goblet of Fire (the tournament and it’s challenges we’re very well designed IMO)
Philosopher’s Stone (where it all started)
Half-blood Prince (dragged in some areas, excelled in others, especially once it got going)
Chamber of Secrets (interesting and showed some good bits of information on the Harry Potter universe but didn’t impact the series very drastically. A worthy sequel)
Order of the Phoenix (explained above :stuck_out_tongue:)

1 Like

I dunno, I never really felt that way about it (though I haven’t read the books in years). I do remember that when I first got a hardcover edition out of the library I was thinking “dang, this is a loooooooooog book”.

1 Like

So I just finished rereading (or in my case, relistening because the Audio Books are great) the series, and I gotta say, I’d forgotten how good it was. It really is one of those series where you just want to keep reading and reading and reading and not put it down.

I feel like ranking the books would be a disservice to them, as I only had a handful of problems throughout them. I will say that I disliked how Book 7 handled it’s ending. It’s just enough information to peak interest, but not enough to satisfy. I also felt that Hufflepuff was a bit underrepresented throughout the series. Sure, you’ve got characters like Hannah Abbot and Ernie Macmillon, but both are more background characters. In Ravenclaw, you’ve got Luna and Cho. In Slytherin, you’ve got Malfoy and co. Gryffindor is duh. IDK, I just feel like I didn’t learn as much about Hufflepuff and their members as the other houses.

I mentioned this in the Modcast episode we did on HP, but I feel that Harry Potter’s strong suit, much like Bionicle, is its worldbuilding. Beginning with GoF, we see how wizards interact in the world outside of the British Isles, and shows the possibilities the series has. Literally every area of the planet has its own wizards, and to me, that’s really cool.

I haven’t rewatched the movies yet, but from what I remember of them (especially the latter ones), they don’t give an especially fantastic portrayal of their sources. One such instance is in the last movie, where Harry and Voldemort, instead of dueling amidst a crowd of people, shoot their fancy lasers alone in a courtyard somewhere.
also harry doesnt repair his wand so he literally has no wand at the end of the movie

Overall, the books are great, the movies are alright, and this isn’t news to anyone because literally no one says they’re not amazing.

that’s all i got
gryffindors for life i guess

5 Likes

Cedric, yo. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, iirc Tonks was a Hufflepuff.

I disagree. Harry Potter’s strong(est) suit, unlike Bionicle, is its characters. I can’t think of very many other book series with such a wide array of characters who are both three-dimensional and generally likeable (excluding the villains, who of course aren’t supposed to be likeable. :stuck_out_tongue: ) HP has some good worldbuilding, don’t get me wrong, but it definitely takes a back seat to the characters and plots. And compared to many other fictional worlds, HP’s world isn’t that well-defined. We get the impression that Hogwarts is a rather large school, but only a few dozen students are directly mentioned throughout the series. Quidditch is an incredibly poorly-balanced game; the rules should’ve been changed to reduce the value of the Snitch centuries ago. There’s no in-depth explanation for how magic works and can violate the laws of physics other than “it’s magic.” Don’t get me wrong; that doesn’t make the worldbuilding bad. Not everything needs an explanation, and it does exactly what it’s supposed to do: intrigue you and help draw you in to the story. But it only works because Rowling is a great storyteller, not a great worldbuilder.

Also, I’m not commenting on Bionicle’s worldbuilding there–truth be told, it probably has many similar failings. But worldbuilding is by far Bionicle’s strongest suit, and I don’t think that’s the case at all with HP.

Let’s not forget that weird thing where they hug, fall off a ledge, and Apparate. o_O

3 Likes

i mean
i guess technically
i’d still consider him a more background character for most of GoF
he’s so disconnected from harry that we don’t see many of his thoughts or aspirations

never mentioned in the books, iirc, and she’s been out of school for years.

okay yeah i’m not gonna deny this
idk how i forgot about that

oh yeah that was a thing
a really weird thing

1 Like