How do you pronounce your names?

Have you heard of a hyperbole?

I don’t understand how “an unlikely exaggeration” excuses the fact that you were making a passive aggressive remark towards people of a certain ethnic group

3 Likes

Well I mean Americans pronounce something wrong and a European would be telling them how they said the word wrong. I don’t think he was trying to be racist, I think he was just saying that group says it wrong.

I think it’s best he doesn’t make jokes like that and other people try to understand humor. Let’s just leave it behind us and continue on.

Tuh-kew-uh.
Oddly similar to the Bionicle name, don’tcha think, Takua? You’re right, Takua.

3 Likes

almost all of my humor is a hyperbole, thats why i get so mad when people get mad at me for being me.

2 Likes

Maybe that means that you should start considering whether or not a certain hyperbole can be taken as offensive or not before you post it.

6 Likes

“facepalm” All hyperboles are NOT to be taken seriously, THATS why they call them as such.

Hyperbole

noun
exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.

1 Like

Well, hate to break it to you

but not everyone you talk to KNOWS that you’re making hyperbole

what they DO know is that you are using words that, whether you intended to or not, they can take offense to, and although YOU might not care, the people around you care about how you treat others.

and some of those people happen to be the ones that make the rules on these boards

5 Likes

Make it know that it’s sarcastic otherwise people get offended. As a man of spainish decent, I found it funny but I guess others didn’t. You just put /s after your jokes.

5 Likes

Or ‘/mt’

1 Like

That works too

1 Like

Now I know how to write that word. Thanks :smile_cat:

2 Likes

St-e-v-e ur-win

@Nyran, how do you pronounce your name properly, out of curiosity.

Same with @Ranaki_Pakewa

3 Likes

Nye Ran.

Nye like Bill Nye. It rhymes with Guy.

And then just ran

Emphasis on the first syllable.

8 Likes

What about

Nye-Rin?

Because that’s how I say it ;-----;

3 Likes

Due to the emphasis being on the first syllable, Ran and Rin are basically interchangeable.

7 Likes

[quote=“BeefJStag, post:77, topic:10511”]
Because that’s how I say it
[/quote]I said Nee-ran

2 Likes

I say both.

Mine is Are-Ay-See.

you mean like Talk to Ven?

2 Likes

Well that works too

1 Like