How Does One Say "BIONICLE"? (The Pronunciation Topic)

I always thought it was something along the lines of Leh-wah.

They said it that way in the retrospective video.

5 Likes

Jaller is still Jala, just spelled stupid. I think they changed it due to the maori controversy, but I dont know for sure.

01-03a Lewa was Looah (like the lew in Lewis) but 03b he was Lee-wa. 08-onwards he was canonically Lay-wa. I always called him leewah so I wasnt happy either way. Plus it makes more sense with le koro as opposed to lu koro.

Hau is pronounced how

#You guys know there’s pronunciation on BioSector 01, right?
###I don’t know if that’s worth closing the topic, because I still like talking about our shared frustrations.

6 Likes

That was actually how I started saying Loo-wa! I heard people saying Lee-wa, but I always thought it was wrong.

They should have changed Jala to Jallah or Jahla or Jalla. It would have made much more sense, and juddging by the fact that they just changed Hali to Hahli, it would have been enough of a change

2 Likes

yeah, silent R is very western, and they tried super hard to be outside of Earth’s regional boundaries.
Also Hukii to Hewki

I would debate the silent R being western, but this isn’t the place for my linguistic rants.

On another note, was the R in his name actually silent? Or was there a slight inflection that wasn’t quite R added to his name?

I used to pronounce Hewki as “He-Kiwi” :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I’ve flip flopped between saying kricka and kreeka for the longest time. Biosector01 says kricka is correct. :S

1 Like

Am I the only one who said it “1-ua?” 2004 was a mental struggle for me.

2 Likes

I used to pronounce Nuju as Noo-you and Thok as Tay-hawk.

…yeah…

2 Likes

You and @CausticKrana are special.

I uh, pronounce Pohatu as Po-Hah-Tu, Lewa as Le-Wah, Tahu as Ta-Hu, Gali as Ga-Lee, Onua as On-You-Ah, Kopaka as Co-Pah-Ka, Jaller as Ja-Ler, Hewkii as Hew-Ki, Vakama as Va-Ka-Ma, and my biggest flop of all…

BIONICLE AS BIO-NI-CAL

2 Likes

my mom pronounced bionicle like BIO-NEE-CLEH

5 Likes

You’re all wrong

It’s BON-KUL

16 Likes

I heard Vezon pronounced Vee-zon more than once, but always called him Vez-on, though I don’t remember which one is canonically correct. And I always pronounced Krika as Cry-ca, though some people called him crick-a. Again, I don’t remember which version is right :stuck_out_tongue:

And you’re wrong once again! Everybody knows it’s BON-O-CUL

1 Like

No name gives me trouble, but I do pronounce some things differently.
Onewa as ON-EE-WAH.

2 Likes

I Always say lee-waah

3 Likes

since there’s no Glatorian name disputes…

Ackar: A-car,E-car or Ay-Car?

Strakk: Str-ache or Str-ac?

3 Likes

A-Car For Ackar Str-Ac For Strakk

According to Legend Reborn, it’s A Car. :disappointed:

It SHOULD be Ack-ar.

5 Likes