How Does One Say "BIONICLE"? (The Pronunciation Topic)

Ley-wa hehehe
Even though that’s how I pronounce it :confused:

1 Like

Lee-Wha is Lewa, O-Knew-Ah is Onua, and Ah-Knew-Ah is Onewa.

I may as well get all of the pronunciations out of my system now. Any other names I’m forgetting at the moment?

4 Likes

You should change the ttile to, “Lēwa VS. Lêwa”, or whatever the right accent marks are. As an American, I have no clue what any of them mean. Also, it’s Leewa. That’s just phonetic.

1 Like

er

I don’t believe any version of Lewa we say has those marks. There’s never a need to indicate the way to say it with marks

EDIT

about the topic

doesn’t it sorta already exist?

6 Likes

Lee-Wa

I have always pronounced it Looh-Wa.

First of all, I think the worst thing about Bionicle names was the similarities between them, not the pronunciation. Seriously, Onua and Onewa? Vahi, Rahi, Rakshi, Vaki? Vakama and Nokama? Gali and Hali? Makuta and Muaka? Matoro and Matoran? Bohrok and Bara(h?)g? Malum and Melum? And why is EVERY ISLAND named NUI?
But, regarding the topic at hand, I pronounced Onua and Onewa the same, but I pronounced Onewa with more focus on the hard U sound. I pronounced Kane- Ra as cane-ra, Hau as haU, with a hard U and the A as an soft O.
@Azani, I thought it was Vee-zon. Isn’t that how they say it in the ad?

1 Like
3 Likes

I pronounce Lewa as Ley-Wah, same with anything else which contains “Le”
i.e. Ley-Rakh, Ley-Vahk

1 Like

I’ve always pronounced Lewa as Lee-Wa.

I used to say Hewkii as Hewiki and Jaller as Jailer. Thankfully, I am literate now. Also Reidak and Radiak was a thing that happened.

I pronounce “Korgot” as “Wah-ful”

On a serious note, I just realized that I pronounce “Lewa” as “Lee-wa”…but I say “Lerahk” as “Lay-rock”. :confused:

3 Likes

Here’s a G2 one:
Is it “Okotoan” or “Okotan”?
(The former appearing in the books and the latter in JTO.)

My guess would be that it’s written like the book way, but pronounced the JTO way since it flows better that way.
Or maybe the Okotoans just can’t agree on what they’re called. :wink:

1 Like

Here I’m going to comment on some fun pronunciations by nine year old me, beuase why not?

“lee-wa”

“Ko-polka”

“paw-hat-ooo”

“mat-ooo”

“peer-a-ka”

“mah-ha-ri”

1 Like

I’ve always pronounced Onua and Onewa the exact same.
Oh-New-Uh

1 Like

I saw Hewkii in the inika comercial and kid me said what does that even say?

How do i pronounce some things:

Kanoka = Ká-NO-keh
Visorak = Ví-so-rahk
Kalmah = Kehl-Mah
Antroz = Án-tro-uz
Lewa = Lee-Wuh
Izotor = Ay-So-Thor

That’s how balta in bonkle heroes says it

2 Likes

I used to say phantoka as

Fan-tock-uh

2 Likes

@Eljay @Kahi I recently listened to the TTV podcast 184 and heard the argument that went on between eljay and kahi on how to pronounce lewa. A book was released in 2003 BEFORE the mask of light came out called “THE OFFICIAL guide to BIONICLE” written by Greg Farshtey. This book contains pronunciations of every set that came out from 2001 to 2003, including lewa’s.

The proper pronunciation is LAY-WAH not LEE-WAH. Eljay, the point you’ve been arguing for so long has been wrong. I’ve had this book for years and i was always too lazy to post a picture of it on the message boards. At least i got to hear some fun arguments on the podcast!

@Political_Slime is this the book you had?

6 Likes