How would you introduces the Toa of Lightning?

Okay so the possibility of a Toa of Lightning has been talked about a few times briefly on the podcast so I just wanted to give my two cent on how it could theoretically be introduced.

What I propose is that there was a Lightning Tribe on the island at one point in time and that this Tribe was much more advanced than any of the other Tribes on the island. They would have floating monuments capable of the generating a storm clouds, jetpacks allowing them to fly, and a large assortment of weaponry. What I think would happen to this Tribe is that a Dark Force would terrorize them, destroy their monuments, and would force the survivors to leave the island on the only monument left untouched.

When the Tribe returns to the island however, the Toa go to meet the Tribe’s leader and discover the reason for their reappearance: the Toa of lightning has got missing and they believes that the same Dark Force that plagued them Centuries before is behind it. So the Toa head deep into the heart of island to rescue them.

So that’s my idea for their return, there is a lot of other things I would like to talk about relating to this, tho that’s for a different topic. What do you all think of the idea and how would you go about introducing them?

2 Likes

I would not even have a Toa of Lightning in the first place, it worked in G1 because of how that universe worked…but I dunno, I don’t think it would work in this hypothetical G3…

Personally, I think it could work, it just depends on how the story is written. I do get what your saying tho.

I would argue there was at most two I believe, as well as many other elements besides the ones we were introduced to.

Vohriki walks in “I am Vohriki, I am here to help” /s

3 Likes

The Toa are on a big quest, when they are surrounded and the boom lighting strikes, and the song thunder struck by AC/DC starts to play as the Toa of lighting fights the oppents, Tahu thinking it is a trick rushes in to fight her head on.

2 Likes

Ttv has said in Their G3 they will add the lightning element

1 Like

I know, I don’t support it.

(Then again, I don’t support a lot of their choices, but beggars can’t be choosers…)

1 Like

I like the idea of the Vo-Matoran living a technological city above everyone else, sort of like Metru Nui from G1. Perhaps this Vo-Koro (which can also be known as the ‘City of Legends’) is some sort of blessed land. Perhaps the Vo-Matoran are like the Av-Matoran, with their activities and harnessing of the lightning storms providing a sort of natural power to Mata Nui, keeping him alive in a sense (sort of like the Giant Robot twist, but in this case Mata Nui is an ethereal spirit that feeds just like any living thing and can send ‘divine lightning bolts’).

Eventually, the reason for Mata Nui’s slumber is revealed- Makuta has frozen time or incapacitated the Vo-Matoran, and like the rest of the toa, Voriki was one without powers at first and the only one who escaped. The Vo-Matoran’s work with machines emits a sort of energy-like radiation, or something along those lines, that keeps Mata Nui alive, and it’s revealed that just as there are deities for each of the elements (Ikir for Fire, Ketar for Stone, etc.), Mata Nui is the Deity of Lightning and the strongest of them all.

Plus, Mata Nui having control over lightning could be a neat homage to the idea of the divine sending lightning bolts to punish sinners and other bad eggs, at least in my opinion.

2 Likes

Huh, My reasoning for why Makuta drove them away was because of how advanced their technology was, but I actually kinda prefer your whole deity idea.

1 Like

I’d do things a bit differently.

By Year 2, the Toa are growing used to their newfound abilities, but they’re still not the most experienced when it comes to utilizing them. They have the power, but they don’t know how to use it to its full potential - they need training.

So when the new cast of enemies rolls through, the Toa are almost immediately forced to retreat or face oblivion. They have what it takes to take on these dudes, but they just don’t know how, and it’s incredibly frustrating. So they’re sent running with their tails between their legs, scared beyond belief and desperate to figure out how to win.

One way or another, the Toa happen upon legends of another tribe* that once resided on the island. It is said that the Matoran there were the most mystical of their kind, the most technologically advanced, and also the most in-tune with the elements. They were rumored to be invincible but ultimately met ruin at the hands of some great darkness in the far past, and their tech was destroyed and scattered across the island. Now nothing is left of them… or is there?

The Toa journey to the furthest point of the island: the Thunder Plateau, a region none dare to enter due to the dangers within. Our heroes brave the relentless storms, nightmarish Rahi, and villainous goons of our main baddies, and on the other side, they discover an ominous temple that reaches to the sky, shrouded in thunderclouds and lightning.

Inside the Toa discover a mysterious entity sitting upon a lonesome throne. They recognize him as an ancient metalsmith and master warrior from legend - but the “him” turns out to be a “her”! She calls herself Voriki, Toa Nuva** of Lightning. The Toa understand that she’s the only chance they have at defeating their new foes, so they humbly request to be trained. When Voriki laughs and refuses, Tahu gets angry and threatens her with a blast of flame, declaring that he didn’t come all this way just to be denied.

Voriki and Tahu engage in battle and the latter is soundly beaten. The Vo-Toa expects the other Toa to run or surrender, but instead, they bravely stand their ground with the intention of defending their friend to the death. Gali and Kopaka are especially angry. This display of companionship moves Voriki and reminds her of her own past, and upon hearing their story she decides that the island’s future depends on her training them. So she starts them down the road to mastering their elements (which will not be fully accomplished until Year 3 or later). Tahu gains massive respect for Voriki, as she’s the only being to have ever beaten him in 1v1 combat, and their shared adoration for combat leads to the two forming a close bond of friendship.

Having soon increased greatly in skill, the Toa are sent on their way and Voriki is left alone in her tower, still shrouded in mystery. The Toa will later discover that she is the one responsible for forging the Kanohi Masks that transformed them into Toa. Each mask was infused with the spiritual abilities of ancient Toa of legend (similar to the primary masks in Majora’s Mask) - Voriki’s long-deceased friends - and left in the shrines in each of the six main regions to be recovered the day they would be needed.

Voriki will reappear sometime in the last half Year 3, providing the now Toa Nuva with new armor and gear and helping them in the fight against the final form of the ultimate big bad of this arc. If G3 lives on past the first arc, then the Vo-Matoran*** and their origins/purpose will be further explored at a later date.

TL;DR Lightning will be introduced as the “Light” element of this arc (though actual Av-beings will be introduced sometime after the first arc) through the Toa (Nuva) Voriki, forger of cool stuff and all-around Takanuva+Ekimu combo of G3.

*Either near the end of Year 2 or sometime in Year 3, it will be revealed that there are many more villages of secondary elements.
**In G3, a Toa Nuva is a Toa who has fully mastered their element. A Toa Nuva has increased strength and speed as a result of their deep spiritual connection to the elements, and their bodies undergo transformations due to the increase of power (similar to how human bodies get buff when undergoing intense physical training).
***The Vo-Matoran will go unnamed throughout Arc 1 (Years 1-3), and the fact that their element is Lightning will additionally be unconfirmed, though it’ll be somewhat obvious. Only Voriki will be referred to as a being of Lightning.

Edited for language- Prentice1215

5 Likes

Wow that is really cool and I would like to see it happen.

1 Like

Come to think of it, I DID have a similar idea, but I forgot about it. Maybe it could be a bit of both- Hatred towards Vo-Matoran progress and the practical need to weaken Mata Nui.

1 Like

Hey, thanks! I put a lot of thought into it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I mean who ever said there had to be one singular reason? There could be HUNDREDS of reason why, okay that’s a bit of an exaggeration, but you get my point. :slight_smile:

I can tell, for me I am really creative in a snap.

1 Like

Interesting ideas. This could probably work pretty well.

Maybe have the tribe be much more advanced than our typical tribes in which they lived in extremely high places or even the sky usually where lightening strikes(except for the sky) but they knew how to live there and adapted to the environment
It would have a similar concept the lost city of Atlantis possibly

The Toa of Lightning would be from a group of Matoran that nobody knew even existed. Probably not called Voriki, he/she would show up during a downtime where nothing major was occuring only to be the blame for a major disaster. He/She would run off only to become a Toa, and upon return would baffle the existing Toa by the fact. Then insert major threat, and they only barely overcome it with the Toa of Lightning’s help.

I had plans of a 7th floating city that escaped the cult of makuta.

but Ill detail that later…

1 Like