How would you make a Female MOC?

This is golden advice

7 Likes

Well I wanted to use another word but Eljayā€™s here. Also, there is a lot ofā€¦ Adult anime out there. Letā€™s just leave it at that.

2 Likes

Who cares?

Your creation is merely an extension of yourself; express your creativity and do what pleases you.

You need to understand the image youā€™re going for. Are you trying to take inspiration from real life? Are you going for a more exaggerated appearance? Is your MoC suppose to exists in a BIONICLE related setting or does it have nothing to do with BIONICLE? Perhaps your MoC is meant to be a commentary on the sexualization of female MoCs.

There is no right or wrong answer. So do whatever you want. Just understand that if you want people to take your MoC seriously, you have to take it seriously as well. Sexualization works if that is your intent, but donā€™t expect everybody to understand or see your vision. You may be criticized for your choices, but criticism is only beneficial if you are creating with the intent to improve.

So itā€™s up to you, the creator, to be self-aware and understand why you chose to implement certain aspects of your MoC and to realize what is culturally acceptable and what is going overboard. Youā€™ve got to have the strength to defend your work and not let others saturate your vision and dictate how your piece should look if you know their comments go against your intent.

Depending on what it is you wish to achieve, then a lot of the advice in this topic will be very helpful to you; but it might not be very helpful at all.

26 Likes

Ouchies. Sorry, I didnā€™t mean to come off rude or misquote.

2 Likes

Based on individual countries, or the consensus of the entire world?
(or just the lego community?)

3 Likes

Iā€™ve gone wrong here, as Iā€™m sure you know. And I got a lot of hate for it, but now I have a good female MOC, so I think. It already has Itā€™s own topic but Ill put a picture inā€¦

I think that female MOCs should not be too over-sexualised, but at the same time, people need to be able to tell that itā€™s a female MOC.

7 Likes

People tend to use human proportions in MOCs just because it makes everithing a bit more recognizable.

Alsoā€¦

THIS

5 Likes

is there a ā€œhow should you make a male MOC?ā€ page.

2 Likes

Unoriginal people.

6 Likes

Donā€™t pull a roodaka and make her too ā€œsexualā€ and try not to go in-your-face femininity. Like someone said already, sleek and subtle curves is a good start. But thats just me, what @IllustriousVar says is probably the best advice, it is all your idea, your interpretation, you dictate what this MoC is, and we dictate whether we agree or not, in the words of a wise philosopher, just do it!

6 Likes

Hah, a world consensus; funny joke :slight_smile:

Just the LEGO community :stuck_out_tongue:
Weā€™ve kind of developed our own culture of acceptance, especially when it comes to MoCs. (And we tend to be very harsh when something breaks those levels of acceptance).

The best artists are the ones who are able to adapt tried and true methods in new and creative ways. Itā€™s not the fact that the MoC has Rahkshi heads for a chest plate, itā€™s that the MoC has failed to incorporate that design in a way that hasnā€™t been done before.

With that said, itā€™s pretty unrealistic to expect all the members of the boards to know what MoC techniques are overused and which ones arenā€™t. Weā€™re dealing with a fanbase of varying ages and backgrounds. Rahkshi breast-plates mean two completely different things to a new fan, age 8, just joining the community compared to a veteran fan whoā€™s been invested in the community since G1.

11 Likes

Easy: Make a MOC, call it female.

4 Likes

There is no reason a robot should haveā€¦ assets. Remember that.
If you want to make something more noticeably female, give them slender shoulders and longer legs. Just be subtle about your details.

2 Likes

roodaka isnā€™t too sexual, certainly sexualized, but itā€™s not actually that bad.

Ironically itā€™s mostly the fanbase that sexualizes her, the canon design is alright.

9 Likes

Mata Nui this took off, but I would like to mention for further discussion that I myself am not building a female MOC, so Iā€™m renaming the page to How Would you Make a Female MOC to avoid confusion.

Regardless, the advice Iā€™ve seen here is still relevant and stellar and hopefully a good guide for anyone, or maybe perhaps even myself, in the future. Props to all you.

(Also, even if I was making one I donā€™t have many pieces leftā€¦)

7 Likes

Just gonna say, although Iā€™m not personally a fan of sexualized female MOCs, Iā€™ve seen some really good MOCs that were effectively BIONICLE smut. Itā€™s about your intent with the MOC and your skill at pulling it off. Most of the sexualized female MOCs people donā€™t like are poorly built, and thatā€™s why we donā€™t like them. Itā€™s sort of a risk, pull it off poorly, you get called sexist, pull it off well, people say ā€œgood job!ā€ Be creative, be smart, and do what you wanna do, and no one will be able to criticize you (at least not credibly) for that.

5 Likes

Glad we could be of help Pakari.

I know that feelingā€¦

Going to be completely honest: I think Roodaka is perfect. Moving on.

Being completely honest, again, I am not inherently against a ā€œsexualizedā€ female MOC. Itā€™s just the tasteless stuff I occasionally see on Tumblr I am not a fan of.

3 Likes

Like many before me, I can tell you that you must not over-sexualize the moc. I know this from experience, because 99% it is going to look stupid and bad. My attempts at a female moc arenā€™t much better, but some of the female mocs out there look like the creator has never seen a woman before. I would say smaller shoulder diameter and thinner waist compared to a male moc goes a long way, and also a slightly shorter stature. Some people like putting hair on their female mocs, but most of the time I think it looks silly and unnecessary. As an unrelated bonus, hereā€™s a moc who I donā€™t know the creator, but Iā€™m using for inspiration for a larger, armored, muscular female moc Iā€™m working on, even though this isnā€™t a female moc, there are all sorts of body types, but keeping it looking natural and well proportioned is the key.

2 Likes

I donā€™t blame you for thinking that was female, that hip/waist ratio definitely looks feminine.

3 Likes