If you could cancel a LEGO theme, what would that be?

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Lego Elves Topic

Which film are you referring to?

Big Hero 6.

That’s an adaption of a Marvel Comics property of the same name. While the film is very, very different from the comic original, I wouldn’t call it Disney’s own superheros.

2 Likes

Huh, didn’t know that… But we still have Pixar’s The Incredibles, which wasn’t adapted from anything as far as I am aware.

Nothing directly, so that would be correct. Just general inspiration from the super hero genre.

Though I will note that Elastic Girl was the name of a DC character, with a very similar power set. They had to pay a license to use the name in the film, but ended up only using it I think a total of two times in the original. Just some fun trivia.

2 Likes

I would like to see Star Wars stop. Not because of any particular beef against the movies or anything, more just that I hate how overplayed it is in Lego; we’ve had new ships and setpieces with the newer media coming out, sure, but we’ve also had half a dozen different versions of every last minor piece of equipment to show up in the original trilogy, over a dozen different Millennium Falcons alone, and it’s just all really boring and samey stuff for a franchise I find to be pretty overrated to begin with. Not to mention how just by virtue of being Star Wars, it kinda inherently limits the chances for original properties to properly sell and grow. I know Lego’s track record has been pretty spotty, but I would honestly take a thousand failed but interesting experiments like Nexo Knights or Chima over one more obnoxiously overpriced Falcon hogging the store shelves.

I understand why this will probably never actually happen; from an economic standpoint Lego’s probably better off sticking with the safe and sure option. But from a creative standpoint, I really feel like Star Wars is a deeply limiting crutch that allows Lego to coast by on the overblown popularity of a grey disk with some prongs on the front, leaving little incentive to try to branch out and do their own thing as much or as effectively as they could. Now, to be fair despite that, they still do their own stuff, and Ninjago is proof that it can work, but I still feel like they could be going further if they took a step away from Lucasfilm stuff for a while.

3 Likes

Super heroes. I don’t care much for super heroes so the sets mean nothing to me. I also don’t think many of the sets are that good.

3 Likes

The truth has finally been said!

And I agree with this too.

2 Likes

Agreed. I couldn’t have put it better.

2 Likes

The great number of these sets is a little annoying if you’d like to see other Star Wars sets, but I actually rather enjoy seeing LEGO’s improvement on them. They’re learning from what they’ve done and applying it to what they’re making, so almost every Millennium Falcon just has a little something that makes it unique and better than its predecessor.

Unfortunately, I can’t go much deeper than that because I can’t talk about leaks

Not to mention the waves of new fans growing up and wanting the signature ship, one of the most iconic vehicles in the entire world, or the collectors who own every single one for a reason.

That’s okay, it’s shredding itself apart anyways

I mean, it wasn’t even in the top 3 themes last year, its spot taken by Ninjago, so I don’t really thing this argument works that well. Of course, it may just be a weather VS climate thing.

Cough, Hidden Side, cough

Okay, to be honest, I’ve kind of noticed a bit of a turn in LEGO’s themes. Ninjago and Hidden Side sets have gotten really good, but Star Wars has kind of died down, at least in my opinion. Instead of getting ten or fifteen sets a wave, the last one had, what, like six? And all of them are just improved versions of previous sets (Zam Wesell, come on, LEGO, Zam Wesell). LEGO is putting in a little money in hopes for a little profit, which they will get because it’s Star Wars and the sets are actually fairly good in my opinion, while putting lots more into Ninjago and original themes. Same thing with the Marvel sets, too, it feels like. Which is unfortunate considering how massive the MCU is right now.

Now, this is all theory. I don’t have any reason or evidence excluding my perspective, so don’t take this as fact. I think LEGO is trying to make their original themes as appealing as their third party. Is this good? It’s up to you. I’m neutral about it, as long as we get some really good sets out of Marvel Super Heroes and Star Wars (ZAM WESELL) every once in a while.

(Also, I am a Star Wars fan, and it means about as much for me as Bionicle does for lots of people on the Boards, but I still like to tease it every so often)

Ah. This one stings. While I can agree that a few of the Endgame sets were grave disappointments, there are still very many that stand out as incredible, like the Far From Home sets. I just don’t want to cut off what can become so much better, plus with how big superheroes are, LEGO really shouldn’t consider cutting them out of their products.

2 Likes

To be fair, the past few Milleniuium Falcons haven’t really improved that much from the last one. Beside a few small differences, they are exactly the same. Not any better, not any worse than the last one. Just the same.

We are getting a new one this year, after roughly one year since the last one. Is this really “a new wave of fans growing up?” Not sure if that is really the case.

1 Like

You can’t blame LEGO for that. They’re not choosing to release a new Falcon often because they’re lazy, but because it’s been featured in the majority of new content up until this point. Once Episode IX is out of theaters, it will be several years before we see another release of a regular sized Falcon set that isn’t a microfighter or UCS because it won’t be featured in new and upcoming media. More likely we’ll get ships and setpieces from The Mandalorian and Clone Wars Season 7 (or maybe even stuff from Seasons 1-6 that we didn’t get the first go around) in the next year and a half. Not to mention Kenobi sets and Cassian Andor sets further on as well.

Ten or more by my count. The five LEGO Star Wars 20th Anniversary sets (5), two Resistance themed sets (2), two microfighters (2), the Death Star escape set (1) and Duel on Starkiller Base set (1). Then there’s the three or four Action Battles sets (4) which is a few more and the microfighter two-pack with the dewback and Tantive IV escape pod (1). And that’s not even counting the four or so Juniors sets, which would bump it up. It got the regular number of sets, it was just diversified more and wasn’t centered around a common theme, which makes sense considering it was an in-between movie wave.

2 Likes

I…
Would cancel the MCU sets.
I’m really disappointed with how inaccurate they are becoming.
Beforr watching Endgame, I wanted the Hall of Armor set because Igor.
After endgame, i changed my mind because it wasn’t in the movie at all. It was really disappointing. They’re banking a little too much money and not enough effort on these licensed themes, assuming that because they’re licesnced, they’ll get money. Which isn’t totally true. Sure, there are some people who will get them for pieced and whatnot, but if the sets aren’t accurate, then fans of Lego and MCU will stop buying them.

2 Likes

That’s an interesting set to be released when it was, but when you think about it, it makes total sense.

Spoilers for Endgame

Iron Man dies, man! You’ve got arguably your most popular superhero outside of Spider-Man (who will TOTALLY be sticking around in your universe for many years to come, RIP) kicking the bucket and no longer being a part of the franchise. That means outside of doing “Detroit Steele Strikes” type sets that are based more on the comics, Iron Man isn’t going to be in a LEGO set for a long time. How do the designers give a proper send off to this character? They combine some stuff. Something people wanted when Iron Man 3 was out was a Hall of Armor set, but we didn’t get one. People have also wanted an official Mark I, Mark V (suitcase armor), and Igor armor, and we didn’t get versions of that when it would’ve been timely. So we’re saying goodbye to this character anyway, let’s let his final big set be the Hall of Armor with a little bit of everything Iron Man mixed in. You’ve got the Mark I, Mark V, Mark 41, Igor, and the Mark 50 from Infinity War, plus some conflict-in-a-box outriders. It’s not accurate to the film, but it’s a great send off to the character by LEGO because it gives us several minifigs and a location we’d been wanting at the last moment.

Now, in terms of the inaccuracies of some of the other sets, it’s well known at this point that MARVEL essentially gives merch people concept art to work with and doesn’t really update them by the time the movie is supposed to be out, not to mention that the plots to MCU films are often kept very under wraps and you’d want to avoid spoiling the movie through your toys (and even then, that doesn’t always work, RIP Gi-ANT Man surprise in Civil War). Inaccurate designs and situations are nothing new to LEGO MARVEL (flamethrower buggy of doom from IM3 anyone? lol), and while I’m sick of it too, I’ll give the Endgame related sets a little bit of lee way just because of how stretched out that production was, because technically speaking, it shared a production cycle with Infinity War even though they were two different movies. Hopefully things can improve going forward.

5 Likes

I guess that makes sense, but why sometimes sets are pretty accurate and sometimes they are completely made up?

There are new variants, new colors, new parts to use, just little things that make them better. I mean, we haven’t had an OT MF excluding the ultimate for a rather long time now, and every other one has something to make it unique.

Which I won’t go into because of the leaks, but is actually the best one excluding the Ultimate

No, because this is for RoS instead of an update.

Oops, I didn’t know those all came out at the same time. I was only counting the Anniversary sets. My bad.

Did you really think it would be in it? It blew up in Iron Man 3.

I wouldn’t agree. I think the Hall of Armor is a great set for fans, and one that many have been wanting for years. People complain about Igor being bad, but I’m just happy it exists. I never thought it would.

I no joke took this set as evidence that Stark would die. This is a perfect set for Iron Man fans, one that was highly requested through MOCs and such. LEGO wouldn’t really see a way to make it any other time past Endgame, as Iron Man will have faded from mainstream.

I think it’s a matter of concept art, avoiding spoilers, and not being told what happens in the movie, so they pretty much just have the trailers.

5 Likes

On top of having to make a set that is fun to play with. There’s two reasons the Flamethrower Buggy of Doom set exists.

1. To avoid spoilers
2. To be played with

The finale of Iron Man 3 was really just a guy in an iron suit fighting a guy with lava arms, which doesn’t exactly lend itself to great play features on top of the villain twist being a big spoiler. Sometimes they might have the rough outline for the plot before the final cut of a film comes through and still choose to change things slightly for the MARVEL sets just because some scenes, or lots of the movie in general, doesn’t lend itself that well to a play set. The ending of Black Panther and Captain Marvel sure don’t, hence why the sets those films received were generally accurate to the films but not completely representative.

Say what you will about it, but LEGO Star Wars doesn’t have this problem when it comes to the movie tie-in sets. Battle Packs are another issue, though… :joy:

4 Likes

Best battle pack. Hands down.

6 Likes

The Kashyyyk swamp speeder one was pretty good too, but that one is pretty great as well.