Illegal Building Techniques

Ah so its a term that derived from the MOC community. That explains a lot. Ive never had enough money for LEGOs, let alone enough to create MOCs, which is why I never dwelled in those sorta things, if I did it would become second nature to me. Doesnt mean I like the term now that I heard it.

I hate those pieces and those that have english words on them (like the special CCBS pieces with HF hero names on them).

Oh I know one build that is prohibited of enacting. Using Lime connector joints.

5 Likes

What about the tube that is the diameter of lightsaber rods (hopefully you know what I mean). Can you cut that?

1 Like

Guess you do go to jail for that.

12 Likes

flex tube(?)

you can cut that, just not in half lengths(1 1/2, 2 1/2 etc)

3 Likes

Heck yeah! Flex tube is super useful, and no Bionicle fan can ever have enough of it! …Though I guess it isn’t technically illegal due to old Lego sets requiring you to cut tubing.

3 Likes

I don’t have any…

5 Likes

Neither do I … I cut lightsaber rods instead

2 Likes

Ahhh you should get some, my friend! It offers crazy amounts of expressiveness to mata-style heads, and the sleek color often can be used to make gaps on sets look a little more organic!

@Rockho I’d be terrified to do that personally, but only because I don’t have a ton of system pieces yet…what do you use lightsaber blades for?

6 Likes

After all the lightsaber rods i cut,i should be sentenced to death by now.

4 Likes

I never use them

1 Like

@Ghosty @Rockho If you don’t have any flextube you can use the old Exo Force “transparent flexible light cable thing”. It is a bit difficult to cut it with scissors though…

1 Like

Depends. I mostly use them to connect CCBS shells or HF feet to places without balljoints, or to stabilize existing pin hole connections.

Never heard of that…so chances are I don’t have any :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@Omega Have you ever seen a MOC where they use an Akaku with those fiberoptic cables? I feel like that could look pretty cool.

1 Like

Nope, but if I had an Akaku and good skills at building custom heads for kanohi masks I would definitely try that, it would look EPIC.

1 Like

We’ve all done it…

Not me shockingly.

I do use incidentally broken pieces but I don’t purposely do it.

2 Likes

Have tires ever been used on official Lego sets as something besides tires?

W12

2 Likes

Does this count?

8 Likes

@legomaster1378 That presentation on legal/illegal is very, very nice. I’m gonna need to reconsider how I’ve been keeping certain pieces together.

On to the main attraction. Please consider the following my one-and-only submission to “TTV After Dark: Building Techniques of Dubious Legality”

I’ve been using this screwball technique in the (rather heavy) arms of a large MOC. The “toggle joint,” as Bricklink is telling me it is officially called, stays in place unexpectedly well, with slight wear at worst. The clutch that keeps it in place comes from the ball in the joint at one, maybe two contact points, which pushes the pinhole into the flat plastic mold underlay.

What say ye? Is this evil? genius? or both?

4 Likes

Remember, you don’t have to play by LEGO’s rules. They’re your MOCs, feel free to build them however you like. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like