Itek - Toa of Magnetism

Name: Itek

Itek was originally your usual Fa-matoran, sure a bit optimistic and cheerful, with a tendency to act a touch like a watered down Le-matoran most of the time and a mild obsession jon Toa and other ‘just’ beings, but still fairly average.

Until his defect emerged.

The first time nobody really knew what happened, he’d just been chatting with some other Matoran and suddenly fell over unconscious. As time went on his ‘defect’ was finally noticed, and with it his personality degraded.

He went from cheerful to a paranoid wreck quickly after it was puzzled out, constantly in fear of his life and doing near anything in attempt to prevent the attacks from happening as his work suffered severely from it.

From quite literally not moving for hours, to pushing his body past its limits in attempts to somehow strengthen his heart pump, he did it all. It took a nearly fatal attempt at self repair before the Turaga finally agreed to send him to Karzahni.

To this date he still doesn’t understand how it happened, for years he’d been fine, showing no noted signs of possible defect. Currently the best guess, both by Karzahni and his Turaga, and the reason he was sent to Karzahni’s realm, was that an internal part to his heart pump was improperly built and finally broke down from the use.

To say he was horrified when he learned the truth of Karzahni’s realm upon his arrival is putting it lightly.

He was devastated.

To suddenly find out the place designed to repair his kind was in truth a prison ruled by a madman and filled with his failed and twisted attempts at doing his work nearly broke him, Karzahni’s own failed attempts at repairing him, resulting in his additional color and twisting him form, ending with his heart-light, the only thing that could warn him of an attack, being sealed off in frustration after Karzahni’s multiple failed attempts at repairing him, didn’t help his mental state.

If anything, the only thing that kept him going was realizing that he could bring some form of comfort to the others in the realm, his obsession coming into play, by acting as if nothing was wrong or at least providing a cheerful visage.

This was when his false personality started to develop.

If anything, these attempts are what allowed him to continue to survive until he was sent to Voya-Nui, being included in one of the last batch of Matoran sent, those he comforted keeping an eye on him in case an attack hit.

After his arrival on Voya-Nui he kept up the act, both exploring the island in search of supplies and trying to keep the others spirits up.

Despite these acts he always managed to remain a fairly unnoticeable, background character, only one prevalent, notable story existing for him.

It was fairly well known to the Matoran that Voya-Nui was frequently enough used by the Dark hunters for varying, typically unknown reasons, usually keeping interactions with the Matoran to very few or none.

Of course, there were always those odd few who didn’t. One was a Suletu wearing ex-Toa.

She’d taken to bothering the villagers, projecting indecipherable whispers, taking supplies and just generally pushing them around. After she’d been doing such for a few days Itek returned to the village, having been out on another expeditions, and quickly learned of the bothersome ex-Toa, seeking her out and asking for a chat.

It’s unknown exactly what happened during the chat, having been taken outside of the village, but afterwards the Toa… didn’t exactly become kinder but stopped interacting with the Matoran, leaving soon after.

Itek’s transformation into a Toa was actually a fairly unexpected one. During one of his expeditions he’d managed to come across what seemed to be a supply chance/drop, probably Dark Hunter related. Originally he was just going to leave it alone, preferring to not risk angering any Dark-Hunters, until he noticed a Toa stone within the pile.

After that all bets were off.

He quickly nabbed the stone, rushing off as he attempted to activate it, his paranoia and old personality re-emerging from the single thought of the the change possibly fixing him.

While he did eventually get it to work, his body was not repaired as he’d hoped for. While it did lose much of its previous deformation, actually becoming surprisingly different than he expected, leaving him to believe it was caused by past, quite vague memories of some other being, a massive, powerful titan of sorts he’d probably seen carvings of, his defect remained, his heart pump as damaged as before.

After his change he quickly informed the Matoran that he was planning on leaving to search for help to fix their living conditions and island, finally having the power to properly survive in the outside world.

He left before the Piraka and their invasion, an event he’d be torn to hear he could’ve helped prevent after learning of it, instilling a growing feeling of failure in his abilities, and returned just a touch before the island was fixed and sent back, bringing with him the items he believed could help the island, now fairly useless that everything had been done without him, only increasing his sense of worthlessness as a Toa.

Personality: Itek has always been cheerful, even sometimes to a seemingly false point, always the first to try and lift others spirits, try to find the good side of things, and always the last to finally admit things were just as bad as they seemed and break down.

He’s always been good at masking his emotions, showcasing a false happiness which he uses to comfort others. This was a skill he taught himself, and slowly perfected after being sent to Karzahni for repairs, learning the truth of his realm, and eventually arriving upon Voya-Nui.

Due to this, and how long he’s been doing it, its formed into a nearly instinctive habit, causing it to actually be difficult for him to show negative based emotions and nearly impossible to break it.

While breakdowns are rare they’re devastating to Itek, acting as a release to quite literally all of his walled off negative emotions, typically leaving him in a despondent, nigh-comatose-esque state of depression.

Despite how cheerful and optimistic an impression he puts out he considers him a useless Toa no matter what personality is present.

Element: Magnetism

Kanohi: Rebounding

Weaponry: He carries a shock spear strapped to his leg.

The shock spear is a throwable weapon given to him by Karzahni when he was sent to Voya-Nui.

The faster the spear is thrown/moved the greater the amount of electricity released upon impact.

If the spear stops moving before an impact releases the shock it will continue to carry the charge, slowly draining as time goes on (level of charge dependent) or until the blade impacts against an object.

Handle is shock proof.

Fighting style: Usually Itek fights using his shock spear, starting off the battle with a throw at his opponents, using his elemental magnetism to manipulate its direction and/or speed and rebounding it back to himself using his Kanohi before physically battling, using the leftover charge from the rebound for one last powerful shock before being left with only the small bursts it gets as he swings it.

When not fighting with the spear he typically fights in a hand-to-hand combat style he trained himself in, showcasing many moves similar to basic martial arts, and using his elemental ability through physical contact, from reversing the polarity of their fists to his armour, to magnetising differing parts of their armour, greatly restraining/slowing down their movements.

Other attributes: Itek suffers from a defect in his heart pump that causes it to at times function erratically, causing hm to either pass out at random, his heart pump having temporarily stopped, or enter a state of debilitating pain, the erratic functioning causing weakness, blurred vision, lack of ‘breath’ and leading to an eventual black-out.

These attacks used to be forewarned by flickers in his heart light, allowing some preparation before it hit, but after Karzahni’s choice to replace his heartlight with a silver plate, which remained ever upon his Toa-ization, from the frustration caused by Karzahni’s inability to fix it that option no longer remained, leaving him in a permanent worry, which he masked with his usual cheer, over when the next attack would hit.

====================

Hey hey! Finally got my entry to Gantoscomics contest written out and put up!

This gues Itek, a Toa of Magnetism and previous Voya-Nui Matoran, a 90 piece Moc submission for the 2006 period.

So yeah, chose to upload this guy over the 2003 Rahi ‘backup’ moc (who willing be shown).

Now, I can already tell people are going to find him fairly Axonn clone-y, but here’s the thing, that ain’t the aim, it’s all due to what I built him with.

As some of you may remember I’ve recently come by the Kardas Dragon trio and built my favourites bad-@$$ winged lizard, a build which leaves behind barely any loose parts, but enough forcmy bored mind to get a basis for a build.

Yep! You hear it right! Itek is nearly 100% made from the parts you on the Kardas dragon! Besides his lower arm pieces and Hordika arm lower legs, all other parts can be found in the kardas dragon… if I can different colors for his upper arms…

For the most part his upper legs and chest build/armour are (besides a few extra ‘hand’ pieces, different coloured Visork leg, and second one of those axle poles) near fully made from the leftover parts.

13 Likes

The proportions on this guy are all over the place. His torso is the normal Inika size, maybe a little short, but the arms and legs are extremely long. The thighs are way too long and thick, and the lower legs are short.

The build on the lower legs in particular…I’m sorry, it’s not good. It’s bare-bones, sloppy, and doesn’t look good at all. The offset of the ankle joint from the knee is never a good thing, and the piece you used to connect the Hordika arm to the hand piece sticks out at the back. I also don’t know why there’s a staff sticking out of his knee as well. That’d be better being stored on his back or something.

I can understand if this was all because of the MOC being left-overs, and if that’s the case then it’s not that bad, but it really can be better.

1 Like

While I will agree that his proportions are fairly out-of-whack, for a Voya-Nui inhabitant I have to say I feel the style fits when you think of what the average matoran looked like after Karzahni’s meddling, which would probably follow through to any Toa-ization they gain.
(Also, his torso’s a piraka build.)

I’m a bit confused by what you mean of the offset of his ankle joint to his knee, besides a slight difference in angle due to part connection/choice they’re both aligned with the the other.

With the knee piece that sticks out… eh, just kinda chose it because they where in the loose parts and I felt it fit to kinda show the carried over decay/improper repairs Karzahni gave him by highlighting the differences in leg size and showing areas where it should’ve been built out to match but wasn’t.

As for the spear, much easier access compared to if it was on his back… now I will agree I myself would’ve preferred to stick it at least on his upper thigh, due to piece limitations (I.e. a lack of spare black 2 cross axles after using the leftovers from Kardas) I was forced to use that piece to connect his leg, and thus decided to say ‘Screw it! The spear can go there!’

As for the final bit, yeah, it probably could be unbelievably better, but, due to my current part restrictions and own self implied rules/basis, this was the best I got.

What is this? A toa inika version of axon? Anyway the moc is fairly good. I like the mix of colors. Though the lower legs are fairly thin compared to the rest of the legs. And despite the fact that it has the mask of truth instead of the mask of rebounding the moc is a fairly solid modified inika/Piraka build.

Haha, kinda seeing as how he was made mainly using the leftover pieces from Kardas, did try to make him somewhat original at least.

Glad to hear I got his build pretty solid despite part limitation!

1 Like

It’s essentially the same as an Inika build. :laughing:

I mean from the front, the ankle ball joint is a stud length to the left or right of the knee joint. Personally I don’t think that ever looks good.

Haha, alright, it just looks really awkward sticking out of his leg. :laughing:

It might work better if the spear was a dagger, and if it faced down towards the foot.

Well, yea, I can understand that. Like I said, this was made with leftover parts, and for leftovers it’s pretty good. It just seems like more of a tablescrap MOC than a very serious MOC, Karzahni meddling or no.

1 Like

Yep, just notably shorter

Ah, that. Yeah, I can agree with that sentiment. Unfortunately, beyond modifying the pieces, I don’t have a way to fix that without visibly increasing his leg length.

As for his spears holder… yeah… might switch that location and/or weapon build.

Hahah, he probably is technically a tablescrap moc if you really think about it, and hey! Glad to hear I did him well for a moc made from around over 50% leftover pieces!

2 Likes

I thought his name was ikea for a second.

1 Like

Haha, easy misunderstanding!