Jakura's G3 Ideas + Pitch [Worldbuilding][Story][Characters][Pitch]

Just as the title says.

I have a lot more to add in the future regarding the Toa and the villages, as well as a full three-year pitch, but for now what you see is what you get. I’m open to any and all feedback in the comments.

Table o’ Contents

1. Foreword
  2. Story Summary
  3. Main Cast
  4. Regions, Villages, and Villagers
  5. Voriki/Chiara Origins
  6. Personal Canon Theories/Ideas

Foreword

I have to say I’m surprised with how many people have been coming up with the same or similar ideas, as well as how quickly the popular ideas are spreading throughout the boards. I can’t confirm I was the first to come up with it, but it wasn’t long after I pushed the idea for a female Voriki as G3’s “seventh Toa” in a couple of topics’ comment sections that all of a sudden a lot of people were wanting it to be a legitimate thing. I have to give everyone in the community props for the collaboration thus far!

There are some ideas in my current write-up that come from the podcast as well as from other members’ pitches. I’ve credited the few people whose writings I took inspiration from.

Story Summary

(Island name is WIP)

Legends tell of elemental spirits from a time before time that harnessed the power of the universe itself to save their people, the Matoran villagers, from destruction at the hands of chaos. These heroes, the mighty Toa, were lost to time; but the Matoran still pass these legends on, hoping that someday the Toa will return - for on the mystical island of Koto Nui, time stands still! The land has been cast into a deadly slumber, shrouded in darkness and secured in the grasp of an evil long thought destroyed.

Yet, just as all hope seems lost, six Matoran are reborn as the heroes of legend in order to save their world from certain doom!
Find the power, live the legend - this is the way of BIONICLE!

(That last line is particularly exciting, because in the context of the G3 idea of what the Toa are, the team is literally “finding the power” and “living the legend” - it makes perfect sense!)

“When times are dark and all hope seems lost, those who call upon the spirits of the elements, if they be worthy, shall bear the power of the Toa!”

• The Prophecy according to Kahi.

Main Cast

• Tahu
  • Toa of the Volcano
  • The Spirit of Fire
  • Gali
  • Toa of the Ocean
  • The Spirit of Water
  • Kopaka
  • Toa of the Tundra
  • The Spirit of Ice
  • Lewa
  • Toa of the Sky
  • The Spirit of Wind
  • Onua
  • Toa of the Forest
  • The Spirit of Earth
  • Pohatu
  • Toa of the Desert
  • The Spirit of Stone

~

• Voriki (or Chiara)
  • Toa of the Storm
  • The Spirit of Lightning

/more coming soon/

Regions, Villages, and Villagers

Special thanks to @Innodence for inspiring a lot of ideas about the regions and the Matoran!
Artwork/Region names by @Oomatu.

• Ta-Wahi, the Scorched Heart**
  • Ta-Koro, Village of the Volcano
    • Sturdy fortress built on, into, or near the side of the volcano.
    • Houses are composed of charred wood and stone.
    • Village shrine is made of stone and wood and resembles a Japanese pagoda.
    • Ta-Matoran
      • Culture – Feudal Japan/Medieval Europe
      • A prideful, honorable people.
      • Focused on military, metalworking, mechanical engineering, hunting, and ash farming.
    • Attributes:
      • Chief virtue is Duty
      • Chief trait is Courage
      • Chief skill is Strength
      • Antithesis is Fear

** A lot of people are satisfied with this design; but personally, I think G3 Ta-Wahi/Ta-Koro needs to be brighter, a little friendlier. Some visible blue sky, green foliage on the borders, etc. Like the surroundings of a real life volcano in a place like Costa Rica, as opposed to what essentially looks like the Netherrealm.

• Ga-Wahi, the Tidal Environment
  • Ga-Koro, Village of the Ocean
    • The entire environment fills up and drains of water throughout the day. As it drains, the water carves out canyons and waterfalls. The villages are built to float above the water, touching down when the water drains. ( - Oomatu)
    • Houses are comprised of seaweed/living coral structures.
    • Village shrine is made of ancient stone and resembles a Chinese monastery.
  • Ga-Matoran
    • Culture – Ancient Chinese/Islander
    • A compassionate, humble people.
    • Focused on spirituality, martial arts, weaving, fishing, and harvesting aquatic plant life.
    • Attributes:
      • Chief virtue is Destiny
      • Chief trait is Purity
      • Chief skill is Speed
      • Antithesis is Poison (Impurity)

/more coming soon/

• Ko-Wahi, the Daunting Precipice
  • Ko-Koro, the Village of the Tundra
    • Built alongside and across the snowy mountains.
    • Houses are huts made of wood and ice (with decommissioned longboats overturned as roofs) and are hollowed out caves in the icy cliffs.
    • Village shrine is made of wood and ice and resembles a Norse temple.
  • Ko-Matoran
    • Culture – Viking/Tibetan
    • A solitary, intellectual people.
    • Focused on prophesy, mapping, boating, ice fishing, and hunting.
    • Attributes:
      • Chief virtue is Duty
      • Chief trait is Peace
      • Chief skill is Willpower
      • Antithesis is Anger

/more coming soon/

• Le-Wahi, the Sky-Jungle
  • Le-Koro, the Village of the Sky
    • Located on mystical mesas that float above the jungle, all connected by bamboo bridges. Only accessible by flying Rahi.
    • Houses are comprised of bamboo wood and leaves; some are built from marble ruins.
    • Airborne trade caravans travel the island.
    • Village shrine is made of marble and resembles the Greek Parthenon.
  • Le-Matoran
    • Culture – ???
    • A carefree, joyful people.
    • Focused on music, dancing, worship, hunting, and taming Rahi.
    • Attributes:
      • Chief virtue is Unity
      • Chief trait is Faith
      • Chief skill is Accuracy
      • Antithesis is Fragmentation (Destruction of Faith)

/more coming soon/

• Onu-Wahi, the Lush Maw
  • Onu-Koro, the Village of the Forest
    • Overridden by jungle, tucked within crevasses, the architecture almost reclaimed by nature.
    • Houses are built from wood, dirt, and ancient stone ruins. Partially located in caves.
    • Village shrine is made of ancient stone and resembles a Mesoamerican temple.
  • Onu-Matoran
    • Culture – Aztec/Native American
    • A wise, optimistic people.
    • Focused on history, chronicling, forestry, mining and farming.
    • Attributes:
      • Chief virtue is Destiny
      • Chief trait is Prosperity
      • Chief skill is Stamina
      • Antithesis is Hunger (Greed)

/more coming soon/

• Po-Wahi, the Barren Expanse
  • Po-Koro, the Village of the Desert
    • Located in a dusty canyon at the center of the desert.
    • Houses are impressive architecture built into the canyon walls. Nomadic camps have shelters comprised of wood, stone, and the stretched hides of massive beasts that once roamed the deserts.
    • Village shrine is carved into the canyon wall and resembles an Egyptian temple.
  • Po-Matoran
    • Culture – Persian/Egyptian (Nomadic)
    • A secretive but friendly people.
    • Focused on carving, crafting, Rahi ranching, hunting, and trading.
    • Attributes:
      • Chief virtue is Unity
      • Chief trait is Creation (Creativity)
      • Chief skill is Strategy
      • Antithesis is Disintegration (Destruction of Creativity)

/more coming soon/

Voriki/Chiara Origins

(And somewhat of a Year 2 pitch. Labeled “Voriki/Chiara” because I can’t decided whether to keep the name “Voriki” or use “Chiara,” the name of an actual G1 Vo-Toa.)

By Year 2, the Toa are growing used to their newfound abilities, but they’re still not the most experienced when it comes to utilizing them. They have the power, but they don’t know how to use it to its full potential - they need training.

So when the new cast of enemies rolls through, the Toa are almost immediately forced to retreat or face oblivion. They have what it takes to take on these dudes – and they totally believe that – but they just don’t know how, and it’s incredibly frustrating. So they’re sent running with their tails between their legs, scared beyond belief and desperate to figure out how to win.

One way or another, the Toa happen upon legends of another tribe that once resided on the island. It is said that these Matoran were the most technologically advanced of their kind and also the most in-tune with the elements. They were rumored to be invincible but ultimately met ruin at the hands of some great darkness in the far past, and their tech was destroyed and scattered across the island (with bits and pieces now unknowingly in use by each tribe). Now nothing is left of them… or is there?

The Toa journey to the southernmost point of the island: the Thunder Plateau, a region none dare to enter due to the dangers within. Our heroes brave the relentless storms, nightmarish Rahi, and villainous goons of our main baddies, and on the other side, they discover an ominous temple that reaches to the sky, shrouded in thunderclouds and lightning.

Inside the Toa discover a mysterious entity sitting upon a lonesome throne. They recognize him as an ancient metalsmith (more accurately “mask maker,” though the Toa don’t know this yet) and master warrior from legend - but the “him” turns out to be a “her”! She calls herself Voriki, Toa Nuva of Lightning. The Toa understand that she’s the only chance they have at defeating their new foes, so they humbly request to be trained. When Voriki laughs and refuses, Tahu gets angry and threatens her with a blast of flame, declaring that he didn’t come all this way just to be denied.

Voriki and Tahu engage in battle and the latter is soundly beaten. The Vo-Toa expects the other Toa to run, but instead, they bravely stand their ground with the intention of defending their friend to the death. This display of companionship moves Voriki and reminds her of her own past, and upon hearing their story she decides that the island’s future depends on her training them. So she starts them down the road to mastering their elements (which will not be fully accomplished until Year 3 or later). Tahu gains massive respect for Voriki during this process, as she’s the only being to have ever beaten him in 1v1 combat, and their shared adoration for fighting leads to the two forming a close bond.

Having soon increased greatly in skill, the Toa are sent on their way and Voriki is left alone in her tower, still shrouded in much mystery. The Toa will discover much, much later in the future (possibly many arcs later) that she is the one responsible for forging the Kanohi Masks that caused them to transform into Toa.

Voriki will reappear sometime in the last half of Year 3, providing the now Toa Nuva with new armor and gear and helping them in the fight against the final form of the ultimate big bad of the arc. If G3 lives on past the first arc, then the Vo-Matoran and their origins/purpose will be further explored at a later date.

Personal Canon Theories/Ideas

• There are three Great Spirits - one represents Unity, one Duty, and one Destiny. This is where the Three Virtues come from.
  • Possibly Ekimu, Makuta, and Mata Nui?
  • Tren Krom, God of Chaos, is the ultimate baddie of the theme? (Cthulu-inspired.)
  • Great Beings, Artahka, Karzahni, the Order of Mata Nui, etc. exist in some capacity in this world.
  • The Toa can have (simulated) hair?
  • Not possible in minifig form. :confused:
  • Toa are basically “avatars” or elemental spirits that channel the powers of the universe (the elements). (TTV canon?)
  • Each new Toa that is born is a reincarnation of a past Toa. (TTV canon?)
  • There are four base elements, and each base element has two complementary elements. All standard elements are equal in power.
  • Fire - Lightning, Plasma
  • Water - Ice, Psionics
  • Wind - Gravity, Sonics
  • Earth - Stone, Iron
  • The elements of Light and Shadow exist in some capacity, but are vastly more powerful than standard elements.
  • There were twelve original Toa. They were created as guardians of the world and functioned as their own organization like a knights’ order.
  • These Toa fought a massive battle against the Kanohi Dragon, a horrible beast of myth. They slayed it, and from its scales they forged the Kanohi Masks of Power. (This is how the masks get the name “Kanohi” in G3.)
  • Voriki, Toa of Lightning, was one of the original twelve Toa (not revealed in the first arc). She’s the mask maker that forged the Kanohi masks for herself and her teammates.
  • The Legendary Masks of Time, Life, and Creation exist in some capacity. Possibly Masks of Light, Shadow, Truth, Dimensional Gates, Alternate Futures, etc.
  • Masks of Time, Life, and Creation belong to the Great Spirit trio? Were used to create the world?
  • Most of the twelve Toa were killed in a catastrophic battle. Voriki survived; maybe the Toa of Water (Helryx), Iron (Zaria), Psionics (Orde), etc.
  • In G3, a Toa Nuva (or Nova?) is a Toa who has fully mastered their element. A Toa Nuva has increased strength and speed as a result of their deep spiritual connection to the elements, and their bodies undergo transformations due to the increase of power (similar to how human bodies get buff after undergoing intense physical training).
  • Once at peak perfection, a Toa Nuva can power up and raise their elemental control to a whole new level. This power-up needs a name… :thinking:
  • Example: Powered-up Tahu Nuva now commands white/blue-hot flames and is surrounded by a fiery aura - HE CAN FEEL THE POWAH! (Think Super Saiyan, but BIONICLE.)

/more coming soon/

That’s all for now. Check back later for more!

15 Likes

This is really cool. You have it mapped out really well. I especially like your Voriki idea.

3 Likes

Hey, thanks, man! Yeah, Voriki is probably what I’ve put the most thought into thus far, alongside some basic prologue ideas (not yet posted). I’ve been enjoying reading your ideas, too.

3 Likes

Thanks.
I really do hope that Voriki is handled well in the official TTV canon, because even if the character was obviously fake, I’ve formed a bit of an attachment to him. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

opinion link

for other people who didn’t read my comment, I also put in some bits on the characters that inhabited the regions for worldbuilding i.e. diagreement in onu-koro resulting in some citizens to branch out and work in other tribes ie taipu starting his own mining camp, nuparu heading to ta-koro, and midak going into ranching in po koro

@Jakura_Nuva also I see what you did with the groups of three having all three virtues i.e. duty: tahu/kopaka, unity: pohatu/lewa destiny: gali/onua! good on you!

1 Like

These are some pretty cool ideas, though something really jarring is the Ko-matoran having a viking culture, which is stereotypically savage, and the Ko-matoran aren’t, maybe make the Ko-matorans based on a more eastern culture, or one based on a more scientific philosophy instead of religious or spiritual philosophy.

The Ga-matoran should be more islander or tropical in culture IMO, they can still be like they are, but with the more flamboyant kinds of islander traits.

I sense a bit of the fire nation in the Ta-matoran >.>

Something questionable about the Onu-matoran is that if they practically live with nature, why would they be so industrial, focusing on mining and farming, I haven’t watched any of the TTV g3 concept videos so if they’ve already dealt with that don’t mind me. I still prefer the idea of them still being earth, just more based on nature and soil, instead of just forest or jungle.

The Po-matoran seem on point.

3 Likes

@AwesomeJoel27

for ko-matoran, i see the viking description as more resourceful and isolationist than savage as what this ideally taps into, but i can see how that is conflicting. perhaps some tibetan influences could blend well to placate the violent tendencies?

for Ga matoran, i can see what you’re getting at with that. perhaps a blend could be best with the sort of village aspects of Chinese i.e. weaving and harvesting and the cultural influences from the pacific islands ie fishing and spelunking.

Ta-matoran, yes. very yes.

onu matoran, I adress this in my original comment on oomatu’s po-wahi post with onu-koro having changed overtime, splitting into separate groups: whenua’s agriculture sect, nuparu’s ta-koro engineering sect, taipu’s le-wahi mining camp, and midak’s po-wahi ranch. which I can go into more detail if you ask.

po-matoran. agreed. i love the idea of po-matoran having to make up for a lack of natural resource by creating value from their own passion.

2 Likes

Thanks. I like maintaining a balance between everything.

You’re not wrong. I initially chose viking because I thought it worked best with the environment and the cold, isolated mood of the Ko-Matoran that we’re used to. I considered some Tibetan influence like Innodence suggested, but I think the deeply spiritual aspects of that influence would contradict the rest of Ko. But yeah, the Ko-Matoran aren’t meant to be savages or raiders like historical vikings.

I suppose Ko-Koro is more visually inspired by norse history/fantasy than anything. While the Ga-Matoran are focused on inner spirituality (i.e. meditation), the Le-Matoran on outer spirituality (i.e. worship), and the Onu-Matoran on history (i.e. chronicling), the Ko-Matoran are focused on prophesy - reading the stars, studying ancient texts, etc. They’re peaceful and stern with an emphasis on willpower. No exactly viking-like. I’ll have to think of a good compromise.

TBH, I may have to mess with Le-Koro a little bit, too. Le-Koro was the hardest to figure out, and I’m still not happy with the Greek influence (though most others seem to be on board with the idea). I honestly see the Le leaning more towards a Polynesian culture.

And I think I’ll add a second cultural influence to each of the villages that don’t already have two, just for diversity’s sake. I aim to make it so that, despite what they’re influenced by, the villages each have a culture unique from those in the real world.

I actually really wanted to add islander traits to one of the villages, but I couldn’t decide which. Ga, Le, and Ta were my top choices. Since I’ll be adding second cultural traits to each village, I’ll put more thought into that.

Yeah, I had the exact same thoughts seeing some peoples’ ideas and pitches. That’s why I wanted to add the feudal Japanese influence - to bring a bit of peace to Ta while still maintaining the military focus.

I wouldn’t consider farming in the village sense to be industrial. The Onu-Matoran are the most familiar with the plant life, so they know best how to till it. Think Native Americans. As for mining, that’s more of a classic Onu staple than anything, which is why it’s here. I honestly did consider it to be a little out of place, so I may modify it or remove it completely. Perhaps transfer it over to Po like some people seem to have done.

That’s interesting, if not a little complicated. I might adapt this idea.

3 Likes

the thing about that is that you can hide a lot of this complexity in the worldbuilding. it’s not essential that the political discord be there, but adding it as an underlying tone can transform what it means as you grow older (pardon the doom and gloom from ids, this was uploaded around the time g2 ended).

for instance, a kid may see “woah, onu-koro is everywhere as if it’s focused on the earth regardless of location!” but as you get deeper understanding, fans can realize “woah, there’s some huge philisophical and political discord around people’s differing opinions on destiny and prosperity (ie mining, farming, ranching or engineering) at the cost of some unity for which onua comes along to try to bridge that gap by working with all the onu-matoran around the island!” and have every stage in-between.

1 Like

A Cthulu type enemy would be very interesting.

2 Likes

just thought of something: each village focuses on their virtue but at the expense of some other virtue ie:

onu-koro focus on destiny to create prosperity as a part of their duty, but in being so widespread and urgent, loses some unity they would otherwise hold.

le-koro focus on their destiny to strengthen their faith as a unified people but in doing so put off their duty in favor of their own amusement and pleasure

Ko-koro focus on Duty as a part of their destiny but as a result, forsake their unity for independence and individual enlightenment.

Ta-koro focus on duty as a unifying obligation, denying the option to seek out one’s true destiny should it be something else aside from the military might.

Ga-koro focus on unity as a destined aspect of themselves, to the point that they wouldn’t be able to do their individual duties as they rely too heavily on each other as a whole.

Po-koro focus on unity as a duty to each other, flying in the face of the futile destiny of the desert to swallow their creation whole, choosing to fight for what they choose.

2 Likes

That’s actually really good! I might include it in my next update.

1 Like

sorry, :sweat_smile: one big last addition to all that stuff just for more worldbuilding:

Onu-koro

to onu-denizens manifest destiny, prosperity, is everything-their duty,- but who you ask will give you a very un-unified answer. They may seem simplistic, overly friendly and optimistic, but they have their reasons. Long ago, onu-koro was an agricultural hotspot unlike any other, but a few bad seasons can be enough for some people to want to go find destiny themselves, leading to engineers flocking to ta-koro, miners tunneling out to le-Wahi to make mining colonies, and ranchers to take their flocks north to the edge of the deserts of po-wahi. Their wisdom arose from realizing misunderstandings, their care born of longing and loss, and their idealism is a desperate wish for better days, before the droughts and floods.

Le-koro

le-denizens are considered to be most lazy, untamed and dependent, but whether this is their fault is questionable. Long ago, le-koro was a ground-bound place of worship, sharing their destiny as a unifying faith among all whom they met. Somewhere along they way, a catastrophe ripped their village from the ground up into the sky on floating isles, leaving them isolated from the rest of the world. But in spite of that, they banded together, building bridges to reunite, and rebuilding their homes with what they had as though they were destined to be together, eventually losing track of obligations and duty. They lose track of time because they lived for so long without urgency, they act so different because they were separated for so long, and they are deeply caring because they want to reconnect with the world they thought they lost.

Ko-koro:

ko-denizens were not always the peaceful people. They were rash, barbaric and hardened in their proud taking to overachieve their duty as their destiny. But after years of this not working, they changed their ways not for reasons of unity, but survival and tolerance. Initially, a ko-matoran may appear cold-shouldered, dismissively self centered, and irrationally lone wolf, but they have come a long way. Their peace is from a place of co-existence, their self discovery is impeccable and their independence gives them strength matched only by the ta-matoran.

Ta-koro

brash and rude, short fused, and insane, many people are baffled by how the ta-denizens even survive with their backs against a volcano, and without constant in-fighting nonetheless. Their secret? They see their duty as that to each other in a way that unifies them, even if that stifles the fires of destiny, everyone needs to contribute everything they’ve got and help each other rise from the ashes. Their banter is how they form connections, their passion toward each other raises their emotions, and to be honest, you sorta have to have guts to live in a volcano.

Ga-koro

when they first settled, ga-denizens were devastated by the erratic nature of their costal canyon. Everything was bound to be washed away, and no possessions could be relied upon. At least until they found salvation in each other-by uniting and working together, and as if by destiny, they not only found ways of recovering after high and low tide, but a way of survival anchored to community even if they can do little of their duty on their own. Are they emotionally pushy, unconcerned with ownership, and fake-like? Perhaps, but to them, they need to deal with problems to clear the air, take nothing they have for granted and try to put their disagreements aside for the sake of the whole.

Po-koro

to some, po-denizens seem bullheaded, stingy, and overbearing, but this isn’t without reason. When everything seems destined to be swallowed by the sands at a moment’s notice, you tend to band together in unity, held by your duty to each other and often, fly in the face of that futility brought by destiny. When you get down to it, their stubbornness is based loyalty, their frugality is born from scarcity and their loud, talkative nature is their way of bonding as when huddled indoors from a sandstorm.

2 Likes

Dude, these are all great. You should really make your own pitch topic. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Jakura_Nuva but I have crippling self doubt. post it in my place or something with a mention or something. I dunno.

Edit: like you can literally just edit quotepaste them beneath each koro bit.

1 Like

I’ll probably just use your ideas as inspiration, rather than quoting them entirely. :slight_smile: Since this is meant to be my own ideas and pitch, I’m trying not to just copy+paste stuff from other members. But I’m definitely keeping things in mind and taking inspiration.

2 Likes

:weary: Fine, I’ll make a post on Matoran culture and inhabitants or something. I’ll tag you somewhere in the bit or something.

1 Like

Hey, go for it! You have some really great ideas that I think fit in perfectly with the G3 world being established.

Alright, so, I know this topic’s only been up for less than a week, but I don’t think I’ll be updating it often anymore. The TTV Cast’s recently released Toa designs imply that they’ve already canonized most of the regions’ and characters’ details, so there isn’t much reason for me to keep brainstorming my own ideas concerning those aspects of G3.

I do plan on continuing work on my pitch, though. I’ll update the first post soon with what’s been canonized in the last week, and my pitch will follow eventually.

2 Likes

Given the Ihu people are focused on prophesy, I’d give them the chief virtue of Destiny, and swap Duty out for Earth’s.

2 Likes

Really interesting ideas here, Jak. Keep up the good work; it’ll help with the KF’s G3 whenever it occurs.

1 Like