Kanae's sport - Phantoka [Worlbuilding] [Characters] [Pitch]

The discs are growing on me, but I just don’t think they should carry them into the goal. Having it float on their wind stream to then be thrown in with the wind makes more sense in that instance. Opponents could try to disrupt their stream to take the disc.

2 Likes

How about players aren’t allowed to touch the disk-they have to use wind.

2 Likes

That’s how I saw it.

As for them gliding, they could just have a standard hang glider instead of a wing suit.

2 Likes

The reasons I think they should be riding on large disks:

1. If the players can already fly, they have no need for gliders/wingsuits. Suggesting the concepts of gear to help them fly implies they cannot fly properly on their own. Since the use of a glider or wingsuit would reduce their arms’ range of motion and ability to proper observe their surroundings, there are two things that need to be done (which only riding on a disk could do):
  • Give players’ arms full range of motion.
  • Allow them to be able to look around without their ability to turn being impeded.
  1. From a system perspective, it’s easier for minifigure to stand or sit on a disk than to create a complicated glider/wingsuit.

We don’t even have to have the disks act as the ball. If players have free hands, we could easily have them pass the ball between them.

While it would be interesting to see players not touch the ball/disk, it defeats the purpose for them to fly.

So they don’t need a wingsuit or glider to better ride the wind? If they can do it without those, then why have the disc under them either?

Or are you saying they can’t fly a whole lot on their own and need the disc to maintain it? Because I don’t think that route makes sense.

As for movement, if they are using their wind, they can direct the stream to aid in turning. And with the disc hovering on that stream, they wouldn’t need to worry about not having full arm motion.

I think the main confusion is how can they move in the air? With or without equipment?

2 Likes

Regarding how players fly:

1. If players are capable of unassisted flight, then they don’t need any special equipment when playing the game.
  2. If players require equipment to fly, then they require special equipment when playing the game. This means either gliders, wingsuits, or large disks.

Pros/Cons of Each Type:

1. Gliders
  • Pros: arms have full range of motion.
  • Cons: more difficult to turn to see what is behind their back, less stable than other forms of assisted flight. Can be over-compensated using additional wind power.
  1. Wingsuits
  • Pros: more stable, fast-diving capabilities, better control.
  • Cons: reduction of range of motion for arms. Cannot be over-compensated using additional wind power.
  1. Large Disks (Kanoka)
  • Pros: more stable, better control, larger surface area for wind to push against for superior gliding, full range of arm motion, easier turning.
  • Cons: slow descent, less agile. Cannot be over-compensated using additional wind power.

Looking at the different pros/cons, I’m fine with any of them, and perhaps all three could be incorporated into different roles for players.

1 Like

They can’t fly. Lewa can’t fly, and her powers are far superior than that of any Kanae matoran (Except for mabye Bingzak)

Gliders are inside backpacks, which are not attached to the arms or the head.

Gliders A. Aren’t complicated and B. Are more fun to build, IMO. Just look at my previous post.

So that was my mini speech stating my opinion lol

1 Like

For the windsuit, what is the over-compensation con? I don’t quite understand what that entails.

Besides that, it looks like the suits are the better option, if you say that the ball/disc is floating on their air stream. If they need to hold it, then it has more of a con.

As for the flight, I don’t see matoran being able to. Only hovering and controlling an air stream for equipment to keep them up.

But I do see Lewa being able to fly later in the story. She would start like all other matoran, but could hover higher or glide better while unassisted due to the toa power. Then she eventually learns to fly, even if it’s year 2 or 3.

2 Likes

The “over-compensation” basically allows the player to override the cons, but at the cost at using more wind energy (stamina).

Hmm time to update the original post again

This was a useless comment lol

1 Like

@Bokarda, The only problem I see with riding disks is that disks have to spin to stay aloft and riding it would be like a tilt a whirl.

If we used the wingsuits/gliders, I could see the player who has the ball/disk only able to hover in place until they pass it or bullet down towards the goal rings. If they are going to miss, they pass the ball/disk to a teammate with a higher altitude so they can free their arms to regain full control of their gliding.

2 Likes

Regarding the disc design: what if the very central portion of the disc didn’t spin, but the middle-outer portion spun? That way, the player would be able to fly it without having to spin with the disc.

1 Like

So like a bearing? Now they will have to control 2 wind gusts rotating in opposite directions to stay aloft, not sure that would work.

1 Like

Technically only one gust of wind, which I guess would technically be a funnel (meh, semantics), since the outer portion would be rotating in a single direction. Imagine a car’s wheel, but the center of the hubcap didn’t spin with the rest of it.

1 Like

There would be 2 forces in play: the first, to spin the outer portion and the second, to keep the center portion from rotating.

For example: helicopters have 2 propellers:

• The first on top, to lift the vehicle
  • the second on the tail, to stop the entire thing from spinning out of control.
1 Like

Ah, that makes sense. Didn’t think about that until now.

Well, according to the initial post, the disks could just be used by the defender and not every player. Since the defender wouldn’t have to focus on anything but preventing opponents from scoring, he/she wouldn’t have to travel as far.

It could be argued that once the disks reach a certain momentum, it requires less energy to keep them afloat. The major draws on energy (assuming my idea is true) would be balancing the disc itself.

1 Like

Not sure that would work unless it had weights suspended out on arms like a fidget spinner. I think their energy would just be placed more in controlling the opposite force, so no real change in energy usage.

1 Like

On second thought, maybe we don’t need disks in the game… lol.

In all seriousness, though, if that would help it stay afloat, I’m down.

Yeah, that makes sense.

2 Likes

Regarding disks, now we know where the UFO sightings on Artakha find their origin, lol.

I still prefer wingsuits but could live with the disks. Here is an idea of what they could look like but probably smaller.

1 Like

Honestly, I think that’s the perfect size for the disks. It’s not too large to be unwieldy, but not too smaller to be unstable. I like it!

Also, what is that from? It looks awesome!

1 Like