Kharyon, the Gatekeeper

I’m back again from a work-caused hiatus from the boards! Another MOC, another day. This is Kharyon, a back-and-forth project that has been worked on for a good while.

Kharyon was a Toa of Stone on Voya Nui when the island was still thriving. This was also one of the must boring places for a Toa to reside. There was never anything going on. Kharyon, who always had a longing for adventure, therefore spent most his time attending Kohlii games and traveling around the island.

Kharyon’s boredom would eventually lead him to leaving Voya Nui, seeking adventure across the ocean. A decision that was frowned upon by the island’s Turaga and a large portion of it’s Matoran. A decision that more than likely saved his life.

Not long after Kharyon had left his island, Voya Nui had been invaded by sinister beings claiming to be Toa, enslaving or killing it’s inhabitants. The shame and guilt would weigh heavy on Kharyon’s mind for eternity, and it would take years before he was ever seen again.

Kharyon would act from the shadows, taking on missions as he saw fit, desperately trying to change the world for the better. Even if it meant the death of the wrongdoers. Relinquishing the Toa code, Kharyon would become a feared name among opposers to the Matoran.

When Makuta Teridax eventually took control of the Matoran Universe, Kharyon traveled to Metru Nui to take part in a rebellion against the newly appointed Turaga Ahkmou.

After the death of Teridax Kharyon helped evacuate Matoran from Metru Nui to the newly reformed Spherus Magna. While leaving the destroyed Great Spirit Robot, Kharyon was stopped by Axonn, who claimed to be a member of The Order of Mata Nui. Axonn brought Kharyon before the Order, who would decide his fate, because him leaving his home on Voya Nui indirectly led to the Piraka enslaving the population and coming dangerously close to claiming the Mask of Life.

Kharyon was expecting to be exiled, or executed. Instead the Order would give him the so-called honor to guard the opening from the Great Spirit Robot. There was still many life forms inside it, many of which could be a real threat to the new world the inhabitants of the Matoran Universe and Bara Magna were trying to create. Kharyon reluctantly accepted the offer, knowing the alternative would most likely mean a untimely death. A series of events that started from boredom had led to the same. Boredom. Waiting. But Kharyon would stay put at his position, to prove his loyalty to his people. He was as surprised as everyone when the shadows rose again from the opening in the Great Spirit Robot.

The weapon. In my head this is a modified Midak Skyblaster, meaning it still works in the same way as the regular launchers. Each use of the weapon would be devastating to beings of shadow, but would also drain a portion of light in the area, until it would be all gone. I am personally generally not a fan of firearms on Bionicle characters, as I don’t really think it is a type of weapon that fit in with the established canon. This was however a in my head successful build of a weapon that still look somewhat Bionicle-like.

As for the build of the character itself, it was a really enjoyable one. The torso is for the most part completely custom-built, only using a 2015 gearbox as a foundation. All the limbs are also mostly custom. Simply a fun build. I am really happy with the end result, orange is a color that I never really used for some reason, so it really makes Kharyon pop from my other MOCs. Regular leg/arm/head articulation + waist and finger articulation makes some really good poses.

That would be all, more stuff coming up before the world is consumed by the sun in a fiery destruction scenario in a couple of billion years. Hugs

EDIT: Something is weird with the pics so it wont show them in their entirety, I will look into this tomorrow. Hey, I’m tired and it’s almost 3:00, just let me sleep and I will make you happy.

24 Likes

I love how you added to the mask with that armor piece.

5 Likes

The head and gun are really great, excellent job!

Nitpick-I think the photos could have been cropped better, as there is a bit of empty space in the photos. Aside from that the moc is pretty cool.

1 Like

I’m a fan! I think the gun looks great, and I didn’t know midak blasters were supposed to work that way. Just curious, if the weapon absorbs light to convert it to a projectile, why the extra ammo on his back? Just a "set “feature”? For the record I would probably do something similar!
I like the head construction, that mask has always looked too specific to use in my mics. I will probably borrow that look!

Not bad, though overall the design seems pretty busy, and kinda hard to look at. Still, good work.