Lego Message Boards Closing & Q&A Topic Saving Contest

Hi, so just kinda joined when I saw the video. I did a simple download of all the pages and got the entire thread in plain text. It’s somehwhat formatted, but not very pretty (maybe I’ll improve that as it was just a test of sorts).

I won’t count it as a submission but since it seems a lot are going for screenshots a more searchable format could be helpful to some in the future, unless someone’s doing this already.

1 Like

Also, one of my friends on the boards posted this:

and WhiteAlligator responded with this:

Edited formatting -legomaster

1 Like

Searchable format would definitely be preferred by me, personally.

-Mesonak

2 Likes

Regarding the Archive of the Greg Topic, firstly would the “submission” be judged on readability/ease versus just who sends it in first?

Secondly: Is there a limit to the type of submission? I’m currently working on creating an exact archive of the entire topic, think basically being able to view the site as is, but as if you didn’t have internet access. So far it’s working as expected. This of course means that there will be many resource folders that come with the submission to make it usable as an offline website. Would this be acceptable? I imagine it would have to be “Handed over” via a dropbox or similar website, versus just a pdf, image gallery or something simple like that.

2 Likes
  1. It would be whoever is first, but I did specify readable. So if I can’t understand it, or it is incomplete, along those lines, then I won’t accept it.

2. No limit at all. Honestly, what you’re suggesting sounds perfect.

2 Likes

Alrighty. And I am proud to say that as of this moment, I have the entire topic archived, and it is working offline as I actually disconnected my internet to make sure. Only minor issue is some of the avatars from the various users are missing, but that is an incredibly trivial thing that holds no impact on the actual information within the thread.

Though sadly, while each and every page is archived, the search function of the LMB is not functional given the search function is not limited to only that thread, but the coding encompasses the entire site. So a simple search function will not be that easy, though I am certain someone who is more skilled with coding and scripts could likely create a search function to fix it.
Shrugs Now to just wait till the forums are in read only to update it.

3 Likes

This is… rather upsetting, at least to me.

I used to spend a lot of time as a kid on the Bionicle roleplay boards, and to think that all of those great stories me and a lot of other kids at that time spent so much time on are going to waste is very disconcerting.

3 Likes

If these are archivable on a website I might be able to host that. Although I think local is still ok.

I’ve also got a better formatted raw text processing right now I’ll probably post that soon. Got the signatures, quotes, and stuff isolated so I can edit it later as I please. Could probably be good for some special search functions.

2 Likes

Raw text would probably be much simpler in the long run, and certainly easier to search. My goal was simply to preserve the thread in it’s original state, with all the “Flourishings” included.
It’s weird to realize there is at least 355 unique avatars on that thread alone

1 Like

That is incredibly impressive. When I say search function, I suppose I mean “Crtl+F”, and just searching character names.

2 Likes

Oh… well if that is all, then yeah that is certainly doable and currently works with how the thread has been saved. Sure you’d have to “Crtl+F” on each page, but it’s doable.

Though still gonna see if I can find a solution for this since the “Hard” part is already finished, and the script I am running will attempt to update the files at certain intervals, so constantly up to date. Having a search function that searches the entire HTML file would save everyone time.

I am assuming once you’ve had a chance to look over and choose the “winning” submission, it would be allowed to go public for everyone, as in like a download link? also on that topic, if I go the dropbox route, it’s only about 900 mb right now, how would I send the link to you? Personal message on here or email?

3 Likes
  1. Absolutely. The intent here is to get this made for the public, and I want to personally gift the one who does it. It’s a community project… And this is really all I can do. =P
  2. Either a message here or via email.
2 Likes

How about a private copy of the entire website?

1 Like

Well, Jayzor and MagicNinja, there is another place where you can RP similar to the LMBs. It’s where the Old Bionicle RP community went and we’re trying to get as many people who still want to RP, and even chat I think, like they did on the LMBs over there.

Not that I want to take the possibility of you guys roleplaying here or more people coming here, but there is another place if you wish to go there.

1 Like

just wanted to say that @Ranaki_Pakewa has crawled the entire topic as of last night

4 Likes

That sounds cool. Where can I find it?

2 Likes

So I wrote a AutoHotKey script to automatically download the pages of the ask Greg thread (and theoretically any other thread on the Lego message boards) to your desktop so you can leave it in the background. Just make sure you have already saved at least one page (By using Ctrl-S) to where you want the script to put them so windows automatically sends it there. Use J to activate and K to stop it.
j::
Send {Tab 3}
Loop, 1000
{Send ^s
Sleep 1000
Send {Enter}
Sleep 500
Send {Tab 20}
Send {Enter}
Sleep 4500
}

k::
ExitApp

1 Like

oh…Well…I also have the whole topic downloaded now… I’ve just used a simple program and soo… I have it now…Too late I guess

2 Likes

Indeed. I’ll update it once the forums are read-only, and I can send it right your way @Eljay.

1 Like

It seems it will simply come down to who sends it in first at this rate. Though thankfully we have basically 2 months till this is really a concern.

2 Likes