Lego Message Boards Closing & Q&A Topic Saving Contest

BS01 will still have the info, but the links to the LMBs will all be broken. We’ve been using archive.org links for a while now (albeit inconsistently), like on the Velika page, but now we’ll switch all the links over to archive.org copies.

3 Likes

So I have 886 of the Ask Greg pages thread on google drive (That is the complete number as of writing this, but it will probably change) in a format that should be able to be viewed in your browser offline. So if you want copies on your computer you can just download these copies instead of having to slowly and manually save each page. They have been place in 9 different zip files with 100 pages each.

Just remember when extracting that the file to open the page (The one that opens with your browser) also requires the folder with the same number with it’s assets in order to work properly.

3 Likes

the end is near

16 Likes

Nice Volume.

1 Like

I should remind everyone, the Mods on the LMBs don’t have control over what happens to the boards, they just moderate the posts. There are people higher up that controls the boards.

Heck, there’s even been speculation for quite some time over who the Super Mod Commander is, which, from what I understand, has most-likely been figured out at this point, thanks to the Super Fan Award that a user on the LMBs got, back in 2013 (who, by the way, was put up against several big sites/communities like Google, Skype, and Spotify), which was hosted by the company Lithium, who is the one who created and hosted the layout of the LMBs.

But, in all seriousness, the mods on the LMBs have stated several times, that they do not have any control over what decisions are made with the LMBs or even Lego themes. All they do is moderate the boards and get news to the users when it happens. :confused:

2 Likes

So I have a question for @Eljay regarding the prize. I personally don’t care to much about the $40 dollar set, but figured I would ask for myself and others anyway. I live in Australia and I know there are quite a few users live outside of the united states. So will postage, currency conversion and all of that other pleasant stuff have any affect on the prize or cause any problems?

3 Likes

On the one hand, things like this and Disney buys bionicle are why I’m OK with the lmb dying in flames, but on the other hand I’m terrified they’ll come here.

7 Likes

I get the feeling people are going to be disappointed after spending almost three days doing this…

A community effort would have been nice, perhaps with a new badge or something to celebrate it. Then people would’nt have wasted time doing what everyone else has done. The questions about postage and shipping for example mean that a $40 set could cost quite a bit more.

It seems like Ranaki has completed things according to Slime… however without an announcement by Eljay, people will still be working on it to win the prize without knowing if Eljay has acknowledge Ranaki as the winner. Unless there is a new topic announcing this that i am unaware of.

If you used the same email for your LMB account as your Lego account online, you could get reprocussions on that.

Reminder is nice, though like the ‘Disney buying Bionicle’ - nobody actually believes it and its is almost certainly fake - and it was probably posted here to parody the state of the LMB :stuck_out_tongue:

Primarily because of the method it was told to us. In this case a LMB user’s primary proof is that they were banned - rather than focusing mainly on showing the larger impact of the moderators. He mentions his idea that they are trying to ‘sue us all’ however never explains how, why, or what they would sue us for.

2 Likes

As I understand it the winner will be the first person to submit all of the pages after the read only date. Meaning it is just a race to submit it first after that point and right now people are just getting ahead or catching up.

4 Likes

I see what you mean from his comment; “It must be kept updated to the very point where the mb closes

In which case, its probably more productive as a member to simply wait till closer to the end. As anyone who did the task now will simply be left waiting for two months checking the boards to update their version.

It also isnt particularly rewarding, as it comes down to who posts at the exact point of the boards going into read-only mode - which will have some variance as some will undoubtably submit their version before the precise closing and due to lack of updates could win.

Either way, means the contest is effectively ‘dead’ until February 28th now as Ranaki already completed his version and would just need to update and submit in time.

2 Likes

Actually it would not be productive for a member to wait till the very end to create it. I like to think that right now this time is more about refining methods of extraction versus actually aiming to be the first, because no one can truly win until late february.

I myself am not going to stress out over this, as I was the first to archive the topic at least first to claim in the topic, so I’m content with that at least should I not be the first person to submit it. Personal win in my book.

1 Like

Well, it depends entirely on how active the LMB’s are until they are read-only/closed.

• If they are active then the Q&A will increase in posts forcing users here to update their versions. If they choose to update it regularly then it could be more time wasting than a user who simply waits till the 28th and uses a program to download the entire Q&A Topic :stuck_out_tongue:

• If they are’nt active then it makes sense for users to try and download everything now as it would’nt be updated in the future.

Archiving it first means nothing if there is a lot of activity on the topic, and if you are able to write computer code as some other users seem capable of then you will easily be able to archive the last version and get it sent before everyone else.

Thats good to hear, though i get the feeling a lot of people will be stressed or disappointed. This is after all a competition more so than a community coming together to save important lore from a writer :stuck_out_tongue:

I dont think everyone will be as calm about the situation after two months of cataloguing a topic only to be beaten by someone who simply creates a ‘freeze’ of the site at the moment it switches to read-only, forever preserving the entire thing OR submits it quickest.

1 Like

It would be smarter for a member to choose and make sure that their chosen method of archiving actually works now, versus waiting till the last second only to discover it does not work, or doesn’t work as intended. That is all I meant when I said it would not be productive to wait till the very end.

And as for the activity of the Greg Topic, by the time I had already finished one archived version of the topic, there was another post made. I do not imagine the activity will be enormous, but there will likely be some activity.

3 Likes

Finding a method of backing up everything is useful i suppose and the time of the LMB read-only gives a chance to try varying things. Though it effectively means that few people are going to store the previous versions - instead when it rolls around to the 28th they’ll all delete their previous versions and wait for the LMB to go read-only and instantly archive. Essentially the contest is encouraging the archive occur after the read-only stage, meaning certain methods may not work when its switched over.

As for the activity, it depends. There will presumably be a bunch of people spamming Greg for last minute canonisatons and/or wondering whether he will be able to answer questions elsewhere.

1 Like

Well at least a handful of people besides Ranaki already have full archives of the site. They need to continually update it over the course of the next month, or risk not being the fastest. Obviously it won’t be necessary if the topic has no posts, but using common sense, we can deduce that people will spam Greg with questions before he’s taken away forever.

Regardless, it’s not like winning this contest is the most important thing in the world. The goal is to ensure that the topic is preserved, and have a little bit of fun competition along the way. Given that there’s still a month to go, anyone could still win, even if they were screenshotting.

7 Likes

I know I’m a bit late to this party, but this is disheartening. I joined those boards in 2011, and they’ve been an important part of me ever since. Back then, the LMBs were really the only community I was apart of, and the only place I could discuss BIONICLE with other fans. You’d better believe I spent a good chunk of G2 over there.

As I got older, the boards became less and less enjoyable, mostly thanks to the spam and the seven year olds, and I migrated here. I love this community, but I still check on the LMBs from time to time just to see how things are going. I haven’t posted there in months, and I likely wouldn’t have posted there again, but this news still deeply saddens me.

Hey look, they have [a Wiki] (LEGO Message Boards Wiki | Fandom)!

4 Likes

Sometimes I wonder if I’d even be involved in this fandom if certain people like Lime and this guy didn’t exist. I pity whoever “White Alligator” is.

Depressing.

1 Like

She’s a long-time moderator for the LMBs.

3 Likes

I was aware of “who” she was in the sense that I knew that she was a moderator on those boards; I was going for a feeling along the lines of “I hope, wherever she is, that she realizes that these guys are just a bunch of idiots”.

1 Like

To be honest I’ve dealt with these moderators before.

They are a bunch of overprotective parents.

So more likely than not she feels like she has to comfort them and tell them it’s not the end of the world.

1 Like