LEGO Star Wars Topic

Wish the rebel pack had some of the new helmets that appeared in the U-wing set. I also wish they would’ve included an orange storage crate in the Imperial pack. Also wish they would’ve included 2 Stormtroopers, 1 shoretrooper, and 1 Death Trooper. Other sets look good but I don’t think I can afford those after my little Rogue One shopping spree in October.

The constraction stuff doesn’t interest me much, except for why they didn’t give Chirrut his staff.

Yoda’s fighter is a letdown. Incorrect version of Yoda and a lazy way to do the windshield on the top of the cockpit.

2 Likes

Same. That commando helmet even appears in the U-Wing.

Ah well. Several very smart people at LEGO likely had some good reasons for using the types of helmets they went with in the final set.

An orange crate would have been cool (although perhaps a bit boring to play with). That figure distribution sounds much better. But again, I’m trusting that LEGO had good reasons for making the decisions that they did.

They didn’t? Darn, that sucks.

How else would they have done the cockpit?

I believe the live-action Yoda was part of LEGO’s larger decision to stay away from stylized figures in recent sets (Anakin’s 03 mini-series Jedi Starfighter, all the Rebels sets, etc).

2 Likes

The top window of the cockpit could have been that dark trans clear 2x2 slope thing that they used on the Umbaran MHC. They still could have used the head mold.

Nope. No staff for Chirrut. Lazy mouks.

The crate could store a pair of binoculars and some thermal detonators.

I was referring to the green and biege helmet from that set. And the picture you showed is incorrect. Look up the box art or Jangbricks review.

Again, as mentioned by Legomaster, LEGO has been trying to step away from the style of the Clone Wars minifigures.

That’s why nearly all of the figs in the Rebels and the aforementioned minifigures from Anakin’s Custom Jedi Starfighter have LEGO’s usual eyes. It would also be a somewhat odd move to bring back the more stylized head, seeing how it would be four years (at the time of the release of Yoda’s Jedi Starfighter in 2017) since it was last seen with a major release in 2013, although there were a few Walmart/TRU exclusive sets released in the following year.

It might not be laziness per se.
Though I’m not a designer, it’s not exactly uncommon knowledge that they’re limited on what they can and can’t do in a set. Something like a lack of a decent function or a less than appealing weapon to kiddies comes to mind, but seeing how Rey included a staff, its omission in Chirrut doesn’t make too much sense.

2 Likes

What piece are you referring to?

True (it’d be a sweet way to get some printed thermal detonator pieces for cheap). However, I just think that it doesn’t quite have as much play potential as the walker does.

Ah, okay. That was an oversight on my part. I kinda ignored the teardrop-shaped helmet because I don’t really like it’s design as much. :stuck_out_tongue: Also, the picture I showed was cropped version of the official LEGO image. That set contains three new helmet pieces.

2 Likes

The way I see it, Chirrut has a staff and a crossbow.
Which is more flashy/appealing to small children? Obviously the Crossbow, and since that contains more pieces, no staff. Rey had less pieces, and didn’t have any flashier weapon, unless you count the lightsaber, to use.

1 Like

That shop image is an error they haven’t fixed yet. If you notice the pilot is nowhere in the shop image. They accidentally put in the wrong figure, just like the original shop images of the 2013 Battle of Hoth and the 2014 Snow speeder.

This is the part
http://cache.lego.com/media/bricks/5/2/4217722.jpg

Ah, that didn’t occur to me. Thanks for pointing it out. :slight_smile:

Hmmm, I believe using that part would have meant sacrificing the opening cockpit feature. We’ll have to wait for video reviews to be sure.

2 Likes

More Star Wars sets!

75173: Landspeeder:

75174: Desert Skiff

75175: A-wing Starfighter

I’m more than disappointed with that Landspeeder. Besides some more than needed updates like the curvier detailings of the vehicle, it is basically the same exact build as every other Landspeeder with basically no exclusive minifigures (unless you count weapon and face variants “exclusive”).

The Desert Skiff is a definite buy in my book. The vehicle itself looks great, the minifigs are stellar, and the Sarlacc looks decent. The highlight are obviously Han’s hair and the inclusion of Chewbacca who before hand was only in a few $50+ sets.

The A-Wing is definitely my favorite set out of the three. The starfighter looks pretty accurate to its film counterpart, though the scaling is quite a ways off. It’s not too much of an issue though. The side builds like the crate and the docking sled look okayish. I know they’re only there to make the set look a bit fuller, but they just look so… Puny? I’m in LOVE with the minifigures. The A-Wing pilot is just the usual fig or a similar variant that we get with most A-Wings, Lando looks great, and the technician… Oh the technician… We should all praise such a glorious background character… The only thing I’m really worried about is the brick seperator included with it. A fifty dollar* A-Wing?

*USD

2 Likes

I agree. I was going to get the Carbon Freezing Chamber for Boba, but then saw that this has the new Han hair, current Boba, AND new Chewbacca. Big win.

3 Likes

It definitely could use some more curves. The shape on the front looks pretty iffy (I’m not sure what else they could have done though). The outward curve of the speeder is really hard to replicate at this scale. On the plus side, the colors look pretty spot-on.

Fair point, though I feel like this set has some really desirable minifigs. 3 of the main characters from a ANH plus a Tusken Raider (one of the more iconic yet under-released SW minifigs).

It’s pretty solid (the flex-tube railings are a nice addition). I don’t think the dark tan looks as good as the brown did in previous versions though I suppose it is technically more accurate. The nose looks a bit bulkier then it should though.

Agreed. Plus we finally get a Nikto guard! Whoo! That Bobba looks interesting, especially with the light yellow hands.

How is the scaling off? [quote=“Plural, post:297, topic:1438”]
I’m in LOVE with the minifigures.
[/quote]

Same. They all look stellar.

2 Likes

Tbh, after re-reviewing a few images of the A-Wing from the film, it appears like it is mostly to scale. I originally thought it was slightly larger than usual, but it seems about right to the minifig. My bad.

oh boy havent seen that one before

oh boy havent seen that one before
sarlaac is cool though

oh boy haven’t seen that one before?

oh
three years ago
the new one is cooler though
even if it’s extremely similar

3 Likes

I already have this set from a while back.

This set too. The last desert skiff I had a better looking Sarlacc with a function of being able to fit the Boba Fett Minifig. I’d only get this for Han Solo and Chewbacca.

I definitely need this.

3 Likes

It’s nice to see soft 3mm hose make a comeback in the Desert Skiff after 13 years. The last set to include it was
http://www.brickpicker.com/images/set_images/medium/brickpicker_set_4093_1.jpg

5 Likes

The Evolution of a Landspeeder

Our specimen started off small, weak, and cheap:

It then went on to a pretty great design, though not perfect:

Um… I guess it changed colors. Yay?

Another color change… Great…

The same model four times in a row? GG LEGO:

7 Likes

Is the A-Wing from Rebels? The minifigures seem so bright and simplistic.

No? This is obviously based off RotJ since it includes Lando’s costume from that ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■, post:305, topic:1438”]
The minifigures seem so bright and simplistic.
[/quote]
I don’t know what you’re talking about. All of the pilots from the Or. Trilogy sets use the brighter colors in favor for their darker counterparts, like X-Wing and Y-Wing pilots.

Lando’s torso piece looks pretty detailed with all of the necessary bits and bobs. His pants, though lacking a print, is accurate to the attire he wears in the sixth film.

The extra technician is pretty detailed, so I don’t exactly understand what makes him look like a Rebels minifigure.

1 Like

The previous minifigure of Arvel Crynyd had a dark green pilot suit, which is slightly more accurate.

I didn’t even notice the technician.

1 Like

Accurately? Sure, but does it go well with other bright pilots featured in the sets based off of the original trilogy?

In a case like this, I prefer consistency instead of accuracy.