LEGO vs. Competitor Building Toys (Mega Bloks, Kre-O, etc.)

Though still have an exceedingly low opinion of Kre-o, I am extremely impressed by the Mega Bloks/Construx Halo line, primarily the highly articulated figures.
They’re no LEGO, but it’s certainly impressive.

2 Likes

Why would you?

Because 343’s designs are trash.

I meant the actual toy.

Because it a brick built replication of a trash design, so it’s a trash design with studs.
Also mb sets tend to have the structural integrity of an exo-force mech.

Not sure where you’re getting that from. I took my Halo 5 Scorpion, held it by one of the articulated tread pods (that do come off) and started shaking it. Nothing fell off, that tread pod connection was enough to support the weight of the entire thing. For good measure, I also bashed the top of the set a few times with the bottom of my fist. Nothing happened.

Just did the same thing with the articulated front-side pontoon things on the Halo 5 Wraith. Once again, nothing detached. I have absolutely no idea where you’re getting structurally unstable builds from.

@Payinku
@Joe

I can confirm that at least older Megabloks/construx halo sets fell apart way too easily. The pieces didn’t have a good lock and the two sets I had were constantly falling apart. Newer ones, to my knowledge, have been much sturdier; my brother got one or two sets within the last year and they were quite structurally sound.

From experience, most of the sets I’d gotten either shattered or fell apart very easily, my friend got the scarab and it was the flimsiest thing according to him.
Not all the sets shatter to pieces, the falcon was decently sturdy, but most sets have had really fragile designs.

Pretty odd, haven’t seen any complaints regarding that set. Every review I’ve seen of it makes it look hard as a rock.

Yeah, I’ve been with this line since close to the beginning. A lot of older sets had issues but the newer sets are typically on-par with Lego quality. I’ve gotten a crap ton of new ones without much problems.

I don’t like 343’s halo, so I fell out with the sets, everything up to 2015 or so had problems one way or another, maybe in the past year they managed to not be brittle as candy glass but unfortunately the sets themselves no longer interest me.

They’re working on making more Bungie sets, believe me. We’re already getting a variety of Spartan IIs in MB form. I think we’ve gotten armor set packs with 60% bungie stuff too.

Figures, but the sets are all 343,
I picked up one of the new 343 odst, the helmet is awful, my favorite helmet is trash now because 343’s design team is trash.
I know that’s not mb’s fault, but my point is that I don’t like the designs and they’re all that’s being made. All the old bungie gear has been run through the 343 toilet filter.
For example:

Now, I will fully admit, the articulation and molding has significantly improved, but the actual designs look far worse, odst in particular looks soft and fat compared to the original.

I dunno if anyone knows this here but Lego brought out Kiddicraft in the 80’s

‘Lego eventually acquired the rights to Kiddicraft in 1981. In an out-of-court settlement Lego paid UK £45,000 to the new owners of Page’s company Hestair-Kiddicraft. It has subsequently removed all reference to Page and Kiddicraft from its published history.’