Let's Review Bionicle's Set Combiners

This is what happens when you drop Pohatu inside a blender

15 Likes

You may have forgotten Onewa being thrown in as well, man. XP

3 Likes

The Rahkshi Kaita that was ridden by Vorahk was awesome. Just throwing that out there

What are you talking about?

This one. Vorahk is on the top giving the supposed impression that he’s on a steed

What makes it so awesome? Does it have a special function or something? Or do you just like how it looks?

(Also, why does Guurahks’s legs have the spear ends on the inside?!)

5 Likes

Oh,that thing is weird, but kinda cool…

1 Like

It’s a shame that Japan had the best combiner models and none of them are canon.

Also, there’s a cool fan project on BZPower called Wildlife of Okoto and Wildlife of the Ancient City. They’re rahi combiners built with G2 sets. Some of them are duds but others I really want to build.

7 Likes

I love almost all of these.

It’s so creative and satisfying; hopefully lego goes beyond the six creatures and three beasts in 2016.

2 Likes

I just think the fact that a Vorahk riding a Rahkshi steed is amazingly cool

1 Like

The Kaita were great, then it went down hill from there

1 Like

Did the Toa Metru have an official combiner? I don’t remember. I know we had Krahka as a combiner, but no Kaita

Yeah, there’s not Metru Kaita, only combiners that make Rahi

2 Likes

In fairness, making a rahi combiner is much easier than a humanoid one. A proper Metru Kaita sounds nice, but it would most likely end up awkward looking. I’d like to be wrong, though.

What confuses me is when they do have humanoid Kaita, but they repurpose them as something else. I keep thinking Trinuma and Jovan are possible Kaita, even to this day.

3 Likes

Story wise there’s no metru kaita because the Toa Metru didn’t have enough moral power or a strong bond between one another to merge into a kaita.

Set wise it’s hard to make a kaita out of 3 clone sets.

9 Likes

True, half the metru did hate each other 75% of the time

7 Likes

That’s why we loved them
ToaMetru5ever

3 Likes

@Venom just released the Top 10 Bonkle Combo Models!

https://www.vessel.com/videos/RNasZzfkz

It’s a shame none of the 04 or 05 combiner models made it to the list, some of them were kinda cool like the Kraawa and Frostelus.

Sentrakh was also a rad and unique combiner

He should do the Top 10 Alternate Models for his next list! :smile:

6 Likes

some set combiners are good … but some are also i bit over the top weird …

3 Likes

I’m all for 2005, but I always thought the Toa Hordika combiners were a little ugly :confused:
The Frostelus was probably the best 2005 had

2 Likes

I have such a love-hate relationship with the Frostelus model right now. I had a bit of foreknowledge of the species from the books and one-off mention in the comics, but since canon couldn’t decide if they’re Rahi or not, it didn’t make the Rahi Beasts book. I was tempted to try and build one from scratch a few times but never quite able to come up with a Toa-slaughtering design.

I finally found it online in the past couple years. In images it does have a certain intimidating charm to it, but the physical form is really gangly and unwieldy and hard to pose right. I’m now working through an idea of a revamp, not wholly G2, just enough to give it a little more in the way of armor, stability, and actually useful posability.

Side note: You though that 6-long liftarm that saw a lot of use in the Slizer era but hasn’t been seen since Nivawk? Turns out that piece fits like a glove to span the gap between the two massive shoulderplates. Like, really. It even has the 45 degree shaping in exactly the right spots. If I ever find-the-time-slash-get-over-my-shyness and post it to the board, I suppose I can leave a link here.

Meantime, fave Hordika combiner is back to being the Rock Raptor.

5 Likes