Let's Review Bionicle's Set Combiners

In person it’s a lot better. The strange mantis arms is something I actually like quite a bit, as they’re a bit unexpected from such a massive creature.
But I agree that the legs are pretty great.

2 Likes

I wasn’t referring to the mantis arms; they’re okay. What bugs me are the two appendages on its waist, one of which is an open balljoint :grimacing:

3 Likes

Oh, right, those arms.

Yeah the open joints make no sense, especially since there are plenty of hand connectors that could have been used to cover them up :confused:.

3 Likes

I really liked the leg construction, but the arm mounted rotating claws always get in the way of hands, so his arm always has to be hunched up to get a good spin going. That’s probably why the '05 titans never had hands.

2 Likes

Where did you find the instructions?

2 Likes

I was able to find them just now simply by going to Voporak’s BS01 page and clicking the link to his instructions on Lego.com. http://cache.lego.com/bigdownloads/buildinginstructions/4287012.pdf

1 Like

I shall thank you in the best way I know how.

1 Like

I generally use a website called “Toysperiod” for instructions: LEGO Set Reference Inventories and Instructions

2 Likes

I’m bookmarking that.

2 Likes

Now I’m getting into the big BIG ones!

Here’s Botar.

This creature is humongous. Seriously, even some of the tallest titans look like dwarfs compared to him. Here’s Botar compared to his murderer, Icarax:

This Order of Mata Nui member is very well armored, and has an impressive presence to it. Only the back is a bit exposed, but no big deal.

Overall, although I think it looks ugly, I appreciate the solid and well done build, that leaves almost no spare parts. I recommend building it, at least because of its outstanding stature.

EDIT: am I the only one who sees some hyena vibes from the face?

(Next time it’s Kardas :open_mouth: :yum:)

12 Likes

Looks like a solid, well built combi, though his limbs seem very lanky for how tall he is :grimacing:

Well, I think the lanky appearance is somewhat intentional.

On a side note, am I the only one who sees some hyena vibes from the face?

1 Like

One day, I shall build Botar.

6 Likes

Is it my abysmal MOCing skill or is it easier to build titans with Technic?

1 Like

I agree. Some Technic is definitely necessary for any kind of proper Titan.

I have built the last bionicle combiner I had never built, and oh my gosh it’s big…

It’s Vezon and the Kardas dragon.

Even though I’ve never liked the style that 2006 bionicle went with its sets, this one being no exception, I must admit that this combiner is really good!

It’s definitely shorter than Botar by a couple of centimeters (unless you stretch the neck up), but its sheer size is something no other bionicle set is really able to accomplish (maybe Skopio and Toa Mata Nui being the only exceptions). It really demands for attention.

One thing though that really bothers me is the use of an illegal connection in the head of the dragon (you can’t see it, but the inner build of the head is stressing the silver mask mold). Also Vezon’s waist is very wobbly for some reason.

But overall, pretty good!

Hope you liked my “reviews” on old Bionicle combis!

20 Likes

I’ve heard that complaint about the illegal build of the head many times. My question is, it doesn’t look like the head is constructed very differently from Fenrakk. (I haven’t built either myself.) Why did they make this one illegal? Could it be easily fixed with a couple more pieces?

1 Like

The only way to fix it with the pieces in the set would be to take off the side “ears” completely, as the V shaped connectors (the “Slizer foot piece”) are the cause of the stress on the piece.

Here’s the problem visualized thanks to my amazing painting skillz

2 Likes

We need some 2015 Toa Kaita combiner builds.

1 Like

Today, I built some Bonkle Birbs.

They aren’t any more complex or well-constructed than you’d expect from Bohrok Va combiners, but they’re adorable, so you should build them.

Mata Nui Fishing Bird’s head keeps falling off.

Normally I am hesitant to deviate from canon set appearances, but I saw someone else’s image of an “ice Pokawi” and I couldn’t resist. This guy is too cute.

8 Likes

I always liked Bionicle’s combiner models. So in order to share these rather unpopular and forgotten lego models I made a poll! Enjoy :smile:

Fun Fact: I have built the Manas-Ko and my friend had the Kahu. (I can make a review of Manas-Ko so let me know if you want that.)
Fun Fact 2: I have all the rahi just haven’t made the combiners for all of them

1 Like